WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Watchuseek Journalist
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I meant to post this visit last week but was waiting on my personalized Stowa Pilot to include in this post. Sadly I'm still awaiting the watch so I'll post the watch later.

Here is the summary of my trip to the workshop:
I visited Stowa on lovely Saturday, April 21. I was greeted by Mr. Peter Pfeiffer. He showed my the lovely collection of watches and then patiently took me through the process of making a watch. Mr. Shauer came in half hour later and was busy with a customer then began working on special edition watches. We talked about watches, life and family. Such memories!

First Mr. Pfeiffer showed the polishing of the case.

The sqaure cases were the hardest to make and polish since the regular machines cannot accomodate them.

The screw down backs are polished and stamped.

Process to heat up and turn the tiny screws blue.

Machining the rotor and then engraving the rotor. This was a fascinating machine. Therefore, I requested a engravement on my Pilot watch's rotor:-!

It amazed me how the movement is modified and designed with such precision. This is how Mr. Schauer designs and modifies the movements.

A view from the back of the workshop.

This machine is used to regulate the watch in various positions.

Then the watches are placed on the unique silent winders and regulated some more.

Even the buckles are carefully polished and engraved.

Finished product of sweet hard labor.

Mr. Shauer was so meticulous with his work. He could not start on anything till even the tiniest of part of put away in proper place.

He gave a sneek preview the watch he is working on for the Forum members with the vintage Durowe movement. I could not get this watch out of my mind. He said he is still working out some issues with the watch.

I had such a good time at the workshop that I did not want to leave. I took a lot of pictures from the Stowa museum and will post them separately. Man, I wish I could get my hands on some of the old Pilot watches. Just amazing.

I'm grateful to Mr. Shauer and Mr. Pfeiffer to let me spend so much time and learn and also take pictures to share with you.

Cheers,

Bhanu

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey hotnerd,

thks for the great article....that turnes a Schauer/Stowa watch into a 'must have' :-!

Waiting for yr pics...

Cheers

·
Registered
153 Posts
HI,

thanks for the report !

I've been there 3 times now (the last time just 3 days before you together with "Crusader", on April 18th) and I always had the hell of a time :-!

Knowing where your watch comes from and who made it means a lot to me - a lot more than a "big" name on the dial.

Greets,
Andreas

·
Registered
668 Posts
Great report! :thanks Keep them coming!

·
Registered
558 Posts
great Report, thanks for sharing :-!

i visited Jörg Schauer two times and it was always a great experience.
if i find the time i will make a trip to Engelsbrand again :)

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Really enjoyed it Bhanu.
Thanx for sharing!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Great report. Was that really an Alpha I saw on Peter's wrist???

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Thanks for the pics and report. One day I would love to make the trek to his shop.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tom,

Not sure but looks a bit like this watch, with a different strap of course:

Schauer Day-Date

Best Regards,
Brian

·
Registered
48 Posts
hotnerd said:
Wow, thanks hotnerd for the nice report and the pic of my, I hope so, future watch from the "Série limitée France" !

Jörg has promised me that it will be ready next wednesday so I can pic it up directlly at Engelsbrand. :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Guy 67 said:
Wow, thanks hotnerd for the nice report and the pic of my, I hope so, future watch from the "Série limitée France" !

Jörg has promised me that it will be ready next wednesday so I can pic it up directlly at Engelsbrand. :)
it's a real beauty Guy :-!
i hope it is possible to see this beauty during the WIS-meeting :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great report and pictures.

I visited last month and had a great visit with
Mr. Schauer and Mr. Pfeiffer.

When I arrived, Jorg was working away
in on his Mac in Adobe Illustrator;
one of my favorite programs.

I picked up an Antea and dropped off a
Marine for some modifications.

I've posted a few pics.