WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
VOCE (model name) = Adolf Alleman Fils SA, Moutier and Welschenrohr, Switzerland, active from 1920 to around 1966 (various members of the famous watchmaker family Allemann). They had also used oodles of other model names like Alos, Dixton, Alosa, Atr, Balla, Baronet, Bernadotte, Colaba, Culaba, Kitta, La Raspa, Twist-Watch (registered 1962 shortly after Chubby Checker came out with his famous song - no, that's not a joke!) ............ etc. etc. etc. almost through the complete alphabet. For most names, you usually find a registration date, but not for the Voce-model. It was however one of the earlier ones.

The axe came down for the company with the quartz crisis, difficult to survice if you have more mechanical watch models than grains of sand at the beaches in California...

Looks original, presumably 1940s.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VOCE (model name) = Adolf Alleman Fils SA, Moutier and Welschenrohr, Switzerland, active from 1920 to around 1966 (various members of the famous watchmaker family Allemann). They had also used oodles of other model names like Alos, Dixton, Alosa, Atr, Balla, Baronet, Bernadotte, Colaba, Culaba, Kitta, La Raspa, Twist-Watch (registered 1962 shortly after Chubby Checker came out with his famous song - no, that's not a joke!) ............ etc. etc. etc. almost through the complete alphabet. For most names, you usually find a registration date, but not for the Voce-model. It was however one of the earlier ones.

The axe came down for the company with the quartz crisis, difficult to survice if you have more mechanical watch models than grains of sand at the beaches in California...

Looks original, presumably 1940s.
Thanks..I couldn't find any infos about this company..Do you know what kind of movement it is? I believe could be some model of baumgartner?

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,993 Posts
Then yours is either an upgraded version of the Roseba 8 or it's a Roseba Cal. "Whatevernumber" which is their own designation for the Roseba 8 with a different jewel count. It was quite common to offer movements in different versions with different jewel counts in those days.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then yours is either an upgraded version of the Roseba 8 or it's a Roseba Cal. "Whatevernumber" which is their own designation for the Roseba 8 with a different jewel count. It was quite common to offer movements in different versions with different jewel counts in those days.

Hartmut Richter
Hi, thanks for your reply..I just checked that roseba 8 movement... it's really looke like very similar,but isn't that movement from 1980? And this watch should be from 1940?

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,630 Posts
1950’s. Likely a redial at some point - but sometimes hard to be sure with entry level watches.

·
Registered
719 Posts
1950’s. Likely a redial at some point ....
If that is so it's quite a good one. The white lettering is clear, straight and properly centered. The luminous (radium? if made prior to late 1960's) hour marker precise and even.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,630 Posts
If that is so it's quite a good one. The white lettering is clear, straight and properly centered. The luminous (radium? if made prior to late 1960's) hour marker precise and even.
Have you checked the Six? White lettering like this on a black dial is common with a redial

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Hi there,

let's make the short story long:

Hi guys.Anyone knows something about this watch? Year, movement, and does it appears original? Thanks.
Pin-levers with chromed brass back were back then the cheapest watches ever (plastic not yet common). So nobody would pay for a redial or any other upgrade, and if the dial is not glued to the movement, and fairly fitting, you can be sure that all except the straps is original.

But this movement ( roseba) is 1 jewel and this one is 15...Am I wrong?
Many movements were produced with varying jewel counts, and as these data are nowhere recorded, I can only mention jewel counts I've seen in data sheets or in the real world. After having seen your movement, I'll add the 15 jewel option accordingly. The good news: With 15 (real) jewels your watch is not yet the ultimate bottom end. There makers printed the numbers 17 or 21 on the dial to pretend an according jewel count, but left out the word "jewels". Or they pushed cheap cap jewels (no hole) into holes in the plates, which allowed them to print a high and correct jewel count on the dial.

...but isn't that movement from 1980? And this watch should be from 1940?
Yes, the example in my archive is from ca. 1980. But this means not that all Roseba 8 movements were made in this year. After the style I'd date your watch to the late 50s or early 60s. But consider that makers of such watches had to care for low costs, and could not follow every fashion trend immediately. Once designed, a model was made for many years.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

1 - 11 of 11 Posts