WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you first get this watch in your hands you instantly realize this is very much unlike any other Amphibia ever produced, while at the same time being unmistakably a Vostok Amphibia. I'll cover all these differences and similarities one by one, but my overall impression is despite the differences in the details, this watch is an incredible tribute to the early 1967 Amphibia design.

Appearance wise the case is very similar to the 090 case. It looks and feels much bigger than the 090 case, but when I measure it, the dimensions of width, height, and thickness are all within 1mm of the 090 case. The case itself is thicker than the 090, but the domed sapphire on this watch isn't as pronounced as the domed acrylic on the 090, so the height is almost exactly the same, despite looking much chunkier. The sapphire crystal has only a very slight dome to it, but it appears to be more so since the bezel slopes upwards to it. I can't tell for sure if the crystal has any AR coating, but regardless the watch doesn't suffer too much from reflections and it's highly legible in all lighting conditions. There's some noticeable and pleasing distortion at extreme angles. The bezel is 120 click unidirectional with a very firm feel to the click and no perceivable wobble or backplay. In other words, very much unlike a Vostok. I didn't notice till after I took my pictures that I had it one click off to the right, but the pip lines up perfectly at the 12. The pip itself is recessed into the bezel, but still protrudes proudly of it. You definitely get the sense it's not coming off very easily. The markings are recessed and painted beautifully in the classic Vostok style. Perhaps the only negative to the bezel is it's perhaps to firm to operate with gloves on, but I suspect it will loosen up over time and be perfect. The finish of the case is quite nice. It's a straight brushed finish which is vertical on the sides and on the top extends outwards from the center. The look is pretty much perfect which is only going to look better as the bronze patinas. The signed screw down crown grips very well and has a very nice much more precise feel to it as it's unscrewed, which is very much not like your normal Vostok. There's some Vostok wobble to the crown when in the wind and set positions, but not as much as your usual Vostok. On the underside the SS caseback is numbered and finished much better than your usual Vostok. It's nicely embossed in the center and the engraving around the perimeter is impressive.

The sandwich dial is very nicely textured which looks great at a distance and provides a lot of detail up close. The hands are in the same style as some of the other modern 1967 reissue watches and have a good level of detail to them. The lume I'd rate as exceptional and almost certainly a high grade of C3 Luminova that retains excellent legibility throughout the night.

The leather strap is head and shoulders above anything I've ever seen on a Vostok. It appears to be top grain leather that looks and feels high quality. It's quite thick at 4.5mm. It is very flexible at the ends, but stiffens towards the head of the watch and conforms to your wrist over time. I measured the strap at 77/120mm with 8 adjustment holes. It's 22mm tapering down to 20mm at the buckle. The stitching and details are quite well done. The signed bronze buckle is large and thick in keeping with the rest of the strap and watch. The underside appears to be some sort of leather that is soft and supple. On my 7" wrist it fits tightly on the next to last hole and loosely on the 2nd from the last. If I were just to guess, I'd say a loose fit on a 6.5" wrist is as small as the strap will accommodate. At the other extreme it might be a tight fit a 8.5" wrist on the last hole.

The movement is a 2415 and on the timegrapher measures +5 s/d averaged over 5 positions. Amplitude is good in all positions. While beat error is excellent dial up or down, it goes to about .6 in some of the vertical positions. Maximum positional error is almost 30 seconds. In other words this movement doesn't compare well to an ETA, but as far as a Vostok movement goes it looks better than most.

As far as fit goes the very heavy head on this watch means I need to wear it a bit tighter than I normally would, but otherwise it's very comfortable to wear. I do not intend to force any patina on this watch. I'm just going to let it do it's thing over time. Right out of the box it already has a bit of patina that I'm sure will develop nicely.

Overall I'd have to say I'm extremely happy with this watch. If you are a fan of Vostok and/or you like bronze watches, this is definitely one to get if you can still find it.

Click on the pics for more detail:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Tbh it’s not uncommon on Rolex’s either
Yeah, heard it for Rolex, too. Ah well, you get used to it, and it gives you something to tinker with when bored - I always try to nudge it just a little bit to the left, enough that it doesn't slide back, but not too much to go in the next click (and then left of the 12). It's an art.

The only unidirectional bezel I have that lines up perfectly is actually on my Amfibia Reef :)

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What did these retail for, new?
They still pop up on Meranom from time to time. You have to sign up to receive alerts when they come in stock and you have to be quick because they go fast.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I still prefer the original 2017 release bronze 1967 with the Arabic numerals, the plain indices just don't do anything for me.

View attachment 15384693
I generally find the numerals nicer BUT the dial in the new version is tidier. Also, there are already big numerals on the bezel..
Maybe I am with "the innovation" this time!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I looked for a while for the first issue dial version but settled on the second gen version, certainly a cleaner dial with the sandwich indices as opposed to numerals. like the OP I’m chuffed with mine. I wear it on a 1967 silicone, which for me is a perfect combo. Would love to secure a couple more of the silicone straps as spare. Leather strap that it came with didn’t do a huge amount for me and will probably move it on.

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I looked for a while for the first issue dial version but settled on the second gen version, certainly a cleaner dial with the sandwich indices as opposed to numerals. like the OP I’m chuffed with mine. I wear it on a 1967 silicone, which for me is a perfect combo. Would love to secure a couple more of the silicone straps as spare. Leather strap that it came with didn’t do a huge amount for me and will probably move it on.
I noticed there’s a black leather strap available on Meranom that appears to be similar to the tan strap minus the bronze buckle. I haven’t seen the 1967 rubber straps available in awhile.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, mine has finally arrived, and I echo everything written above, although I have no issue with the size of the watch whatsoever: it fits my wrist just fine.

I wish that Meranom had more of just the bronze buckle in stock, because this is a chunky, nice item that I would purchase in order to modify onto other straps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts