WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on switching my hands for an old Vostok 2209 movement from the 119 tonneau case and the movement stopped running. I am going to see if I can take it to an expert to get it repaired this week but I wanted to post here to see if there is an easy fix.

My second question is, how do y’all get the second hand on???? I’ve been able to do it with a Seiko mod and it was super easy, but I am having a horrible time with this Vostok second hand. I’ve watched a bunch of videos but to no avail. Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good question...
Having recently bought an old 2209 "Spares or Repair" Amphibia in the barrel case from eBay, I had a similar problem.
My example came without a second hand, so after fixing the movement I tried to replace the second hand with what I thought was a standard Vostok second hand from a 2414 movement, only to find that it will not fit.
Under the microscope the second pinion looks twice as big as the hole in the second hand.
After some searching I discovered an old standard Chinese movement with it's second hand and "hey presto", a perfect fit.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If the second hand keeps slipping, you can stick a piece of Rodico in the hole for a snugger fit. Or try to tighten the tube, if you're brave. I've heard people do it with tweezers, nail clippers, even with proper watchmaking tools.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
If the second hand keeps slipping, you can stick a piece of Rodico in the hole for a snugger fit. Or try to tighten the tube, if you're brave. I've heard people do it with tweezers, nail clippers, even with proper watchmaking tools.
you forgot to mention the ‘watchmaker’s hair’ lol. For people who are not familiar: when the hand’s hole is too big a watchmaker takes a hair from his head and inserts it into the hole to get a snug fit. Obviously it is a joke cause hair is too thick for many holes and especially for the seconds hand.
Correct way to to do this is to tighten the whole or the tube with the appropriate punch from the staking set. But not many have it so people improvise (and frequently damage the hands).

Anyway. I hope the OP who posted the question 10 months ago is fine. To tell you the truth I am a bit surprised by the question. Probably in 99.99 % of the watches the second hand is installed exactly same way. The answer is: you need to have the right hand for the movement and it should not be damaged. Then all works as expected.

·
Registered
502 Posts
you forgot to mention the ‘watchmaker’s hair’ lol. For people who are not familiar: when the hand’s hole is too big a watchmaker takes a hair from his head and inserts it into the hole to get a snug fit. Obviously it is a joke cause hair is too thick for many holes and especially for the seconds hand.
Correct way to to do this is to tighten the whole or the tube with the appropriate punch from the staking set. But not many have it so people improvise (and frequently damage the hands).

Anyway. I hope the OP who posted the question 10 months ago is fine. To tell you the truth I am a bit surprised by the question. Probably in 99.99 % of the watches the second hand is installed exactly same way. The answer is: you need to have the right hand for the movement and it should not be damaged. Then all works as expected.
I've had plenty of original 2214/2234 second hands slipping on the pinion. But that's probably because I buy old scrap and try to make it work.
Unrelated; yesterday I assembled a 2234 movement, everything seemed fine, but then I saw that the hour and minute hands do not move, while the second hand does. Strange, because they are spinning just fine in the time setting mode. Replaced the cannon pinion, the issue remained. Any ideas what else to try?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I've had plenty of original 2214/2234 second hands slipping on the pinion. But that's probably because I buy old scrap and try to make it work.
Unrelated; yesterday I assembled a 2234 movement, everything seemed fine, but then I saw that the hour and minute hands do not move, while the second hand does. Strange, because they are spinning just fine in the time setting mode. Replaced the cannon pinion, the issue remained. Any ideas what else to try?
got to be the pinion. When you change time: do you feel resistance?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

The 2209 has an indirect drive pinion, worth checking.

Cheers...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Nice post find, Matt. I'll replace the part and see if it works. I presume it can be removed from under the barrel bridge, without taking everything apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts