WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do Vostok Ambhibias driven by a 2416 cal. have a noticeable accuracy drop off when the power reserve is low? I have worn my watch on/off for about 2 hours total for the past three days (low auto power input) and have noticed subpar accuracy since. I have lost about 1hr30 mins during the last 2 hours. The watch was performing brilliantly up until this week with no shocks/ drops etc. Please don't look at my post history to find out more about this watch as I have not documented this watch.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Watch lost 1.5h during 2h ? Is it running?

yes, the watch has a power reserve that supposed to keep it running when it is used daily with moderate movement. If you only used the watch for 2h in 3 days this is beyond expected parameters of the autowinding and you need to supplement by manually winding it every day if you want to keep it running.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Automatics are a 1920s technology designed for people with one watch, so you don't have to daily-wind your daily watch every morning. This whole thing about owning multiple automatics is ridiculous, totally defeats the purpose of an automatic mechanism if you have to wind them up when you wear them or keep them in a winding machine. Might as well have a manual winder.

Obviously an un-wound movement won't run, similar to a quartz watch with a dead battery. I've heard stories about really old people coming in from old-age residences to have their daily-wear automatic watches repaired, and the watches are fine. The problem is they don't move around enough to keep them wound anymore.

Curious about how much being partially-wound watch effects timekeeping rate. If I'm not mistaken, watches with COSC chronometer specs are tested for accuracy at full-wind, and at something like 1-2 hours after full wind. Which would mean that for the rest of the 40+ hours in the power reserve, they can be much farther out spec. I've noticed with a recent NH35 that it was running -30 spd brand-new. I was quite dismayed until I realized it was only at half-wind. Full wind was a much more satisfying +- 3spd. For this reason I'm sure some people give their daily-wear automatic a full wind in the morning to ensure the best rate, instead of waiting for enough activity to achieve a full wind.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
So, in the past, have you also worn it on / off for only a few hours?
If so, was the accuracy good?

I ask this because if it was good in the past, even with low reserve, and now suddenly the accuracy is very poor = it may need servicing of the auto. winding system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses. I think it was just a case of stretching the power reserve too thinly. I was naive to think that the escapement would be able to regulate the watch regardless of how little energy was left in the mainspring. Wound the watch manually and wore it for a longer period of time with no issues so far.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Must admit that if I don't go for at least an hours walk during the day, I manually wind my autos - trouble is, if they just wind down, as soon as you move them, they start up again, making you think that the watch is running slow, and not stopped.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,164 Posts
The thing about an automatic is that if it stops a due to low power while you are wearing it and then later self-starts on your wrist, then you may have the impression that it has poor timekeeping when really it was merely taking a nap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts