WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear friends,

I have a question but i couldn't seem to find any answer anywhere. Here's what's happened to me and my little ticking friend:

I have a 420 case Amphibia, bought it a year ago. Kinda used it for any kind of activity, biking, swimming, etc. So far it was running fine and accurate. A few days ago I noticed a strange thing. Within 2 hours it was running 15min fast!
After setting the correct time I was looking at the watch for a few minutes. It ran about +5 secs a minute. After reading some forums it can happen because of multiple reasons:

- the watch ha encountered some serious magnetic force

or/and

- the hairspring got dirty/stuck/tangled.

I opened the case with my tools to check what happened. As expected, the hairspring was kinda tangled and looked weird, but it was still running. I read somewhere that in these cases it's probably enough if you give your watch a few "taps" in your hand, so that's what I did. I closed the case and placed it in my palm and gave it a few punches. I know that these guys are shock-resistant so I wasn't worried about it at all ( I'm a mountain-biker btw. so it had a lot of shocks in the summer b-) ). After that I opened the case again. The spring was back to normal! The watch was running fine, but I just regulated it a bit to run more accurate. Removed the movement from the case, cleaned the crystal as well. Before putting it all back together, I applied a small amount of silicone grease on the sealings ( back and crown ) and assembled the whole thing together.

After a few showers I noticed that there is a massive amount of fog in the watch so I opened it up again and there it was: water inside the case. It seems that it wasn't coming from the crown area because that was completely dry. There were small droplets around the back of the watch and the back sealings, so I'm pretty sure that's were the water got in. :-(

I'm not really sure how much should I tighten the closing ring. I heard it somewhere that it must be firm but not overtight wich is the case with any screws and threads I ever dealt with. I did another test but it leaked again. :-(

( One more thing: the nylon ring that holds the movement in place doesn't really sits flush with the inner ring of the case, and that is also visible on the back side of the gasket. I don't know if it's a problem or not, but I'm pretty sure that it was the same before I disassembled the whole thing because I played with it for an hour to make a perfect fit. I couldn't. I even removed the movement and tried without it but again, it didn't make a change. It's just a side note, I don't know if it actually matters in this situation )

I didn't mentioned that the watch was fine before i took it apart ( I was using it in the summer for showers, pools and swimming in lakes )

So my only question is: how tight the lockring should be? Any ideas? :think:

Thanks for your help in advance. ;-)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hmm. Perhaps the crystal came loose and isn't properly seated anymore due to vibrations and shocks from the heavy use you described. :think:

Or since you mentioned that the watch was fine before you removed the case back, perhaps the rubber gasket really isn't seated properly. Be sure to lightly press it evenly all the way around entire gasket to make sure it's evenly seated. I tighten my Vostok case backs quite tight and have never had any leaks or condensation.

Also checks for metal burrs or foreign debris in the case threads and case back screw ring threads. That may be causing it to not screw down all the way.

Reactions: VWatchie

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
+1 what PossumKing said.

If you don't have a case holder, hold the case in your hand very tight. It requires strong hands.
Turn the caseback wrench until you cannot turn it any more.
This is usually tight enough to prevent water leaks.

As PossumKing said, let it sit a few hours, then try to tighten it again. It may turn a little more.
It is easier to do this with the case mounted in a proper case holder because it allows you to turn the wrench with greater force.
This final turn will certainly make it tight enough to prevent water leaks!

I scratch a small line at the 12h position on the ring when it is tightened as far as it will go.

So, when I open the watch in the future, I know how much to tighten it again.

·
942 Posts
I concur with the King of Possum, and think it needs extra turn next time. My guess is that the back is not quite tight enough but check gasket carefully before you re-install caseback because it may have a slight deformation now. If any doubt change.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey folks thanks for the replies.

it seems that the gasket wasn't seated properly. i opened it many times in the past few days, and tried to understand how the whole back-part of the watch works. I can tell that the rubber gasket must be handled with extreme caution because sometimes it seems that it's seated properly, but it's not. :)

thanks for your help, I guess this thread is solved. I've ordered a better caseback opener and a set of rubber seals just in case, but I think I won't really need the seals ( right now, so I'll keep them as spare :p ). I have a case holder btw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts