WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 090662 off of ebay. No issues and I really enjoy the watch.

Decided to get another from the same vendor.

Basically the same watch except 090660 (different face and no date).

On this one, I have to shake it really hard to get it moving and when hand winding it, it feels "gritty" to wind it. Hand winding does not keep it running. :-s

Any steps I should be doing before I send it back?

Also.. do the case finishes vary?? On the 090662 it almost looks bead blasted and the 090660 looks just like stock photo off ebay.

FYI - These are my first Russian watches, so I am a noob in Russian watches.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Sounds like a lubrication problem. Unfortunately, Vostok's QC is not what it used to be, and sometimes you get a dud. There are some conspiracy theorists out there that think the reason some of these new Amphibias are so cheap from some sellers on eBay is that they are selling the watches that didn't make the QC cut. I don't know if this is true or not, but I have gotten a few non-runners from various bargain basement sellers. Rather than send them back and hope that they make it, and hope that the seller refunds my money, I delved into servicing the non-runners myself. Ratfacedgit's videos on youtube have proven invaluable in this, and I can proudly say that of the 4 new non-runners I have purchased, 3 are now running. 1 had a tangled balance spring that was easily remedied; 1 was missing a jewel on the pallet fork that is still sitting in my parts box and is not running yet, and the other 2 had a lack of lubrication that was fixed by disassembly, cleaning and re lubing. Doing this has also led me to pick up a BUNCH of Soviet era Vostoks that are listed as 'not running' for next to nothing and get them running.

Now this might not be what you want to do, but it's an option. I just didn't want to deal with trying to ship a watch back to Russia and either get another one or get my money back. This is probably why a lot of members strongly suggest only buying from a few sellers, but I'm a cheap bastard and I don't mind a challenge

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the advice. I am going to return it using eBay's claim service. And then buy another one from a listed vendor.

Too many other projects to work on. Can't fit watch repair in.

This is my current project. Full size working replica of R2-D2, so don't want to take on more projects. Lol!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The seller refunded me the money and said to keep the watch. Off to Schmek's store to buy one. :)

Reactions: ThePossumKing
1 - 6 of 6 Posts