WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big fan of Orient Mako, especially the blue dial version - that blue is very mesmerizing!

2018-03-22.jpg

Recently I just heard about the Vostok brand which might give the Orient a run for their money. I found from Amazon the following blue diver models:

2018-03-24.png 2018-03-24 (2).png 2018-03-24 (1).png

Q1) I like the dial design, but wish to find a base color that's like in the Mako above. Any suggestion?

Q2) Also, the three of them come with different bezels, and none is to my liking. Can I replace them with a bezel from Orient or Seiko skx?

Q3) I like to have metal bracelet-are those Vostok stock bracelets comfy to wear?

Q4) I read that Vostoks have poor lume, is it possible for us to add lume ourselves?

Q5) Share with me your favorite Vostok divers (with photos) - I might consider them too.

They are all priced at US89, it is a crime not to give them a trial!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
This won't directly answer any of your questions but wanted to share some thoughts.

As a current owner of both Orient and Vostok, I want to set the expectation that I believe the current generation Orient Mako 2 is a significant step above the Vostok in build quality, particularly the movement (even more particularly, the quickset date).

I enjoy them both, but don't expect the Vostok to be at the same level. The Vostok does however make up for it with an indescribable charm that I struggle to put into words.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
1. I don't think the Vostok dials will be quite as deep as the Mako but still a lovely rich blue almost like this photo. This is the most common configuration with that dial.

2. Orient and Seiko bezels won't fit but you can order a suitable bezel on Ebay that uses the same inserts as Seiko. Here is one such seller, but there are many others: https://www.ebay.ie/sch/boris_gvb/m.html
If you order the watch from Meranom you can also purchase a better authentically-styled bezel like this one: https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-classic/spare-parts/vostok-amphibia-blue-bezel.html

3. Vostok bracelets are notorious for being terrible. When adjusted they might still be adequate for some people, but they generally rattle and pull hairs.

4. Lume quality has apparently increased to some degree recently, but it depends when exactly the watch or dial itself was manufactured. You can relume them, but you need the necessary kit.

5. I won't share any photos since many of my watches aren't available to purchase, but we have many threads here with gigabytes of love. :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I have almost nothing to add to the comments to the others before me. Just this: I have owned divers long before I got my first amphibia. The vostoks are very different, and may feel a little strange at first. Soon enough they replaced the NY040 as an every day beater, and now I can't stop buying them. There must be some magic involved in this, 'cause I can't explain it. It's a slippery slope, my friend :)
Ivan
3.JPG

·
Registered
166 Posts
With the Vostoks you really need to replace the strap and the bezel as a bare minimum to get a decent looking watch imo. Here's one of mine:

I don't think any amount of modding will get it even close to the Orient, however. Here's mine on tan leather:

·
Registered
420 Posts
IMG_20180318_132641.jpg
How about the Neptune SE?
A bit more expensive but good quality.
The bracelet is quite good too.
Still available, but only just!

Edit, that photo doesn't really show the colour of the dial, here's a bad photo with flash.
IMG_20180318_132624.jpg

·
Registered
418 Posts
With the Vostoks you really need to replace the strap and the bezel as a bare minimum to get a decent looking watch imo. Here's one of mine:

I don't think any amount of modding will get it even close to the Orient, however. Here's mine on tan leather:

Think my 100 cased Amphibian is at the very least a match.(dark blue front watch)

P1010686.JPG
Not that I like blue watches you understand.

P1010687.JPG

The 100 cased watch(top right) is not available now but just shows how versatile these watches are.
The top left 710059 has a bezel mod with a seiko skx009/7 sized insert . There many types of both bezels and inserts out there. The combinations are close to endless.

A popular choice is the 090914, although it is not as dark as the Orient still has a very rich blue colour. Here is one that has been modded before and after:-
Chrome case.jpg image110.jpg

This has probably already been said but an excellent place to but these watches is Meranom.com and Favinov on the Ebay(He even has his own website now but you will have to google that)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
No one has mentioned the 007 dial yet, it's a standard part available in most of the case styles. Meranom has it in stock on the 420 classic Amphibia.

Mine is in a 710 case, available from eBay seller Zenitar, and probably others. I like that the numbers are applied instead of being painted on, and their radial pattern.

When I purchased this particular watch, it came with the old style crown and bezel. The crown and bezel seen are parts available separately from Meranom, and I installed the parts myself (using tools purchased on Amazon). There are many bezels available to fit the Amphibia, from Meranom and from other sources.

Vostok Amphbia 710007 1.JPG
Vostok Amphibia 710007 2.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts