WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for something a bit different as a watch and came across Vostok.
There appear to be two different 'types' Vostok which seem to be really cheap and Vostok-Europe which seem more modern and expensive.

What are the two different types? Are they different manufacturers? Is one older than the other?
Are Vostok genuinely military watches as most ebay auctions describe them?

Apologies if these are basic questions but I know virtually nothing about Russian watches and not a great deal about watches in general, other than what I like :)

Andrew

·
Registered
749 Posts

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
I'm curious why earlier vostoks have 200m dive rating and vostok europe at four times the cost have 100m ratings.

Sean

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I'm curious why earlier vostoks have 200m dive rating and vostok europe at four times the cost have 100m ratings.

Sean
IMHO

I think its because they can.

What I mean is that Vostok Europe is more aesthetically pleasing than VOSTOK,to the average watch guy anyway. Personally I love the Vostok style watch more than VE , that is why I dont own a VE.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
IMHO

I think its because they can.

What I mean is that Vostok Europe is more aesthetically pleasing than VOSTOK,to the average watch guy anyway. Personally I love the Vostok style watch more than VE , that is why I dont own a VE.
Agree. No company can survive selling only to us WISers. I've got 3 Vostoks and love them, bought them new $20 to $40. That's got to be marginal profit. Vostok Europe is exactly that, more Europe than Russian, unlike the original Vostok. Dilute that Russian identity you lose your niche. Bit of a marketing nightmare where they are. Flout the Russianess, it's like they were designed with no other watches in mind. If I were them I'd work with the original Vostok designs, give more heft to the case, tighten up the bezel, better bracelet, double or triple the price, get sapphire. Homogenization of their design puts them into a very competitive market. Hello Seiko??

Sean

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the link. I think that clarifies what I was asking:)
I quite like both types of Vostok but the 'originals' are perhaps a little bit different. Anyway just bought one from one of the ebay sellers so will see what it's like when it comes!
Guess at the prices they are you can't really go wrong?

Andrew

·
Registered
52 Posts

Sean
First; those are two completely different brands! So be careful in comparing the two side by side...

The main difference when diving depth is concerned is that a lot of the Vostok Europe watches have exhibition backs and those things make for sh*tty pressure resistance.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm guessing that the lume on VE's doesn't wear out in 72 hours as with Vostoks, and the leather band isn't made out of mad cow...

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
First; those are two completely different brands! So be careful in comparing the two side by side...

The main difference when diving depth is concerned is that a lot of the Vostok Europe watches have exhibition backs and those things make for sh*tty pressure resistance.

I didn't know they were different brands. Don't they use the same movements?

Sean

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
the vostok watches uses 2409 or 2414 for mechanical watch and 2416B for automatic watch...
Vostok Europe uses 2432 automatic mouvement.
The vostok have a lip gasket for 200m wr
the vostok europe have an O-ring for 100m wr
:-!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts