WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying hello and Merry Christmas to everyone, I'm totally new to this forum.

My Birthday was last month and being that I kept telling people I would start collecting Russian watches I was given a Vostok Attache for my 30th. Ok so I think great this'll start me off in my collection. The was sent out from Russia and came in a red box. I looked on the internet to compare a picture of the same watch to find things are not consistent.

I compared mine with the image below:

311.jpg

I noticed a few things:

1) I noticed that my second hand didn't look like that, mine is just a straight silver hand.

2) my 5th hour marker is not painted, it's just black so doesn't glow in the dark

3) The blue paint material on the crown was not put on correctly and had splilled onto the grip part of the crown.

4) I can see the the holes on the links within the braclet where it's been joined to another link, filled and polished out, this left microscopic pot marks on the links.

What I want to know is if this all part of the Russian charm where each watch is a little different or is this because the margin for error are just bigger as these are produced with cheaper labour so quality control is not as good? Should I start looking at Poljot instead from now on?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Just saying hello and Merry Christmas to everyone, I'm totally new to this forum.
Welcome to the forum Kaiser! Vostok watches are surely not high-end watches. I did not known about this "Attache" before your post. Vostok, as most of the original Russian factories, produced mostly rugged watches design for robust uses...

1) I noticed that my second hand didn't look like that, mine is just a straight silver hand.

2) my 5th hour marker is not painted, it's just black so doesn't glow in the dark
The final manufacturing control may be also a bit loose too... I had the same fun with a NOS (early 90's) Poljot chrono recently (missing lume mark at 8).

3) The blue paint material on the crown was not put on correctly and had splilled onto the grip part of the crown.

4) I can see the the holes on the links within the braclet where it's been joined to another link, filled and polished out, this left microscopic pot marks on the links.
The blue paint is just a protection clearly wrongly deposited and the Vostok bracelet quality was very bad on my Amphibia black diver that I immediately remplaced for a rubber band.

What I want to know is if this all part of the Russian charm where each watch is a little different or is this because the margin for error are just bigger as these are produced with cheaper labour so quality control is not as good? Should I start looking at Poljot instead from now on?
Original Vostok watches (Chistopol, Russia) is indeed of this "charming" category. You will find a better presentation and quality from Vostok-Europe, Vilnius, Lithuanua that are original designs and special finish of Vostok Russia calibers. They are indeed very satisfacting. Poljot Volmax offers watches traditionally of better presentation (at quickly rising price though :-().

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for answering the questioons for me Marc, yeah I must admit I'm that new to this that I still trying to get the names like Vostok and Vostok Europe sorted.

I will probably stay away from Vostok and maybe look at Poljot as thier watches look very good, would you know about the qaulity of Poljot Marc? They are about twice the price of Vostok going upwards but look more detailed and better made from pictures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for answering the questioons for me Marc, yeah I must admit I'm that new to this that I still trying to get the names like Vostok and Vostok Europe sorted.

I will probably stay away from Vostok and maybe look at Poljot as thier watches look very good, would you know about the qaulity of Poljot Marc? They are about twice the price of Vostok going upwards but look more detailed and better made from pictures.
Hello Kaiser and Welcome. You may want to read some of the threads on this forum about the differences b/t Poljot, Vostok-Europe and the other ": "great three": Buran, Aviator and Sturmanskie. I am a newbie to the world of Russian watches too, but I can at least share what my experience has been with them. I own two Russian watches: the popular Aviator II Chrono and the Buran Skylark. Both are excellent quality, with a solid fit and finish and they keep great time too. I use the Buran as one of my dress watches and added a black alligator strap for that reason. I do not have a Poljot per se, but I read good things about them too. My only beef with Russian watches is that most of them are hand wound models, even the chronographs, but many of the Vostok-Europe offer automatics at very reasonable prices. Here are photos of my two:

Buran Skylark:

Aviator II Chrono:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts