WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently done a brass bezel mod, it was on my list for a long time and decided to share some photos of what I've done...

Bought a 090 with Boris bezel SKX007 a while back and love it, but always had in mind the brass mod, had to try it out.

Bought extra bezel from Zenitar and started

First, this is how 090 looks without bezel, not that bad...

Then on with the new bezel from Zenitar... Also looks really good, but too shiny for me :)

Then the bezel demolition begins... For those who never tried it (like me), bezel is covered with very thin layer of chrome. Looks tough, but once you start brushing it, chrome comes off very easily and uncoveres the yellowish-goldish brass base underneath.

Used dremel on low speed so I had control over it

This is how it looked when I took off all the chrome... I thought I took it all off... I could have gone a bit further.

Then I used warm water and lots of salt... For experiment, had no idea how it would react to bezel

Then took some water out and added more salt...

That didn't do much... And I then used the nail file to brush the surface again, to remove some more chrome, fine tuning....

Next bezel torture step was the warm vinegar and salt... Heated it up in microwave (not a pleasant smell indeed) and put the bezel on the stick to catch the fumes

And covered it with plastic

This was the result after leaving it in the vinegar torture chamber over night... Didn't do much.

A bit darker but not nearly what I wanted

Then it was time for the famous cooked eggs method...

Hardboiled an egg (undercooked it a bit... not on purpose), cut it in 4 pieces and strategically placed it in 4 corners in the tupperware to evenly expose it to the bezel

You can see in this photo the bezel dissapeared from the photo, it got darker

Can't remember how long it was in, I would say 4 hours? Maybe a bit more...

Blue ''sweat'' on the bezel... interesting. Also notice the spots on the bezel from previous salt method. It all adds up...

Wiped the sweat off, nice patina...

On to the watch, test run

Nice, but still not enough for me...

Went to join the eggs overnight... They were now cold, but left nice darker patina and some more blue sweat...

Wiped it, dried it up and it became slightly darker after that

Very pleased how it turned out, nice dark patina. That was 2 weeks ago, not much diffrent now...

·
Registered
987 Posts
Thank you Crater!

You have saved many of us from the trouble of experimenting with each different method.

We now know the effect each has.

I like the spotting effect of the salt.

Which salt method caused the spots?
- the water or the vinegar?

Do you think the patina is more brown and less green than the usual patina on brass?

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Very cool! You've inspired to try this on one of my stock bezels. It's fun to have variety in the collection. Thanks for sharing your journey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Crater!

You have saved many of us from the trouble of experimenting with each different method.

We now know the effect each has.

I like the spotting effect of the salt.

Which salt method caused the spots?
- the water or the vinegar?

Do you think the patina is more brown and less green than the usual patina on brass?
Thanks matt, I can't say 100 % sure, but I think the spots were caused by both methods. When I took some water out of the cup and sprinkled more salt on the bezel, I left it there for few hours. And then I would imagine the vinegar accelerated the process of forming the spots from salt. You can also try to use warm winegar, not much, just enough to make bezel wet from it and then sprinkle it with lots of salt. As you said, it's a lot of experimenting and it always turns out diffrent, that's the good part about it :)

Patina is definitely dark brown, I would say there isn't any green patina/hue on it at all. Might be interesting to have some greenish hue, but I was really aiming for deep dark brown.

Very cool! You've inspired to try this on one of my stock bezels. It's fun to have variety in the collection. Thanks for sharing your journey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're welcome, do try it on your bezels too, very fun to do :)

Nicely done . Looks like you had fun trying out different methods . The end result is great.
Yes, lots of fun doing this and since bezel is only around $5, no harm no faul if it goes wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts