WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I have recently joined the watchuseek forum and its a pleasure to be part of this vibrant watch community. I was introduced to watchuseek by Dmitry Buyalov, the head designer for the Vostok watch factory in Chistopol about a year ago or so and I have been monitoring it on and off ever since. I have lived in Chistopol for the last 2-3 years and my apartment is about 5 minutes from the factory. I pass it every day, I know the directors (one is particular, Vanya, is a good friend of mine) and I have a passion for Vostok watches (currently own around 5).

I am in the process of starting a new project with Vanya (Ivan A. Grachev - Operational Director and shareholder) and details will be released soon, but as a precursor to it, I want to engage the Vostok community on watchuseek and I would be happy to answer any questions, provide pictures and other information where possible. Just to be clear, I dont have all the answers but I could probably shed a lot of light on the current position of the Vostok Watch factory aswell as outlining past information, history of the factory, and future plans as I understand them.

In case anyone hasnt seen this, here is a youtube link of a report by Russia Today showing the inside of the Vostok watch factory in Chistopol - YouTube - ‪RT Vostok Chistopol.wmv‬‏

Enjoy and speak to you soon!

Jonny

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Welcome, and thanks for the info. and link

Sorry , got to ask, any new models coming ?, a 70th. perhaps ?
Always thought Dmitry was more than a CN22 form filler.
Project ?, nice to hear Vostok are thinking about the future

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the welcome Strela167 and I would be happy answer your questions.
At this time, I can say that yes, some new models are in development and actually the new project I mentioned at the start of the thread is connected to this. I will reveal more information next week.
And yes, Dima is certainly more than a form filler :) He is a good friend and very modest. He also has some great design skills and his continual curiosity of all things "design" has really been an asset to the factory.
Soon I will add some pictures of inside the factory and some more information. If you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask!

·
Registered
859 Posts
20,000 a MONTH?

Who is buying all these Vostoks??? C'mon, own up.
Okay, it's me.

And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a Ferrari.

Seriously, I love the 3 Vostoks I have and am always in the market for more. There isn't a better deal in the world than an Amphibia.

Welcome, Jonny, I look forward to hearing more details.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Vaurien,

Meranom is run my Dmitry Buyalov who has designed some of Vostok's latest timepieces. Vostok's internal logistics are generally geared towards larger sales (their work with Vostok Europe for instance). They still do individual sales as I understand it, but Dima wanted to create the Meranom webstore where he has greater control on the inventory, and delivery to customers around the world. Feel free to ask him about this futher, he is on the watchseekers forum aswell.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha thanks for the welcome pwalsh21 and I agree with your comments on the Amphibia - its a great line! I will be sharing some more details early next week and as I said befo any questions on the history of Vostok, or any other curious questions let me know and I will ty to answer them!

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
A chance suggestion was made on the forum a little while back regarding Zenitar selling Amphib. dials and an Amphib. wall clock would be cool, aany chance ?. Noticed on Vostok,s russian site many specials including clocks so would it be possible ?, second hand stutter may meen quartz perhaps.

The russian site has far more info./history, even if google translate makes it pigeon english, and shows some of the classics, and a code breakdown in russian. Would it be possible to get a re-vamped english site ?, with videos, more detailed and better pictures, a back catalogue, a full list of available pieces ...the list goes on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
when will the new models be launched? I can't wait...

and an advice for Vostok management: please release a 24 hour model again because it will sell very good!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Strela167, thanks for your suggestions. I will discuss them with Vanya when we next meet up but at present there are two new models being considered and a restyling of a classic model. There are ofcourse some real classics in the Vostok range it would be great to get them back into full production, but time will tell. I wouldnt count it off the cards though, and I will continue to relay the comments from your guys to the Vostok management.

Yes, the Russian site does have more info and I work with number of translators when I am in Chistopol. In conjunction with some of the new models (soon to be revealed) we will look at providing a more robust English site for Vostok's international fans and customers.

Thanks again for your suggestions! Keep them coming!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Watch Start, thanks for your suggestion on the 24 hour model. I think its a great piece and as I outlined to Strela, I will discuss all of your comments with Vanya when we next meet. At present there are no plans for this model, but depending on feedback within the community there might be in the future.

Will hopefully provide more details on the latest models next week!

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
JonnyBSL,

Welcome to our little circle!

Off the top of my head, there is one thing that Vostok can do right here and now that would broaden its appeal to more people; it is one aspect that would makes them more receptive to the Vostok marque. It might not cost a lot of money, and I do not believe that a major re-tooling is required.

Change the lume supplier. Get something like Superluminova, and ditch Acme Corporation: Wile E Coyote didn't do too well with their products.

People like sports watches; people buy sports watches, and we see threads like "can I wear a dive watch with my suit" every week at the open forums here. Sports watches have lume, and lume sells, not only to the first buyers but their friends also. The Amphibia technology is second to none, but a glowing watch will get attention, and people would ask "what's this", they would never look at an Amphibia and ask about its design and technology, and get interested.

Second thing, talk to COIL (Combined Optical Industries Ltd) in the UK. They developed a coating technology which, when applied to acrylic surfaces, makes them practically scratchproof: I tried to scratch a test piece with steel wool but it just refused to get scratched. This would eliminate the groundless objections by many who think sapphire is the best regardless.

Third thing: even if you have to buy the design from Dave Murphy, consider getting better quality bezels for the Amphibia across the range. Regardless of the low cost of a classic Amphibia, getting plating rubbing off can be off-putting to the buying public. Also look into incorporating unidirectional rotation: it can be done without changing the tooling for the case, but would just be something within the bezel assembly.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi there, i have two questions. My first question is about the Komandirskie K-34 line of watches (with automatic movements, no the quartz one). There were rumors that production of this line of watches will stops and indeed for a time some of the models in the line seemed to be out of supply but are now available again. Is this true and will they continue to be manufactured in the forseeable future? My other question is about the Amphibian 1967 - is it back in production?

Best regards, and thanks for the participation in these forums!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Hi Watch Start, thanks for your suggestion on the 24 hour model. I think its a great piece and as I outlined to Strela, I will discuss all of your comments with Vanya when we next meet. At present there are no plans for this model, but depending on feedback within the community there might be in the future.

Will hopefully provide more details on the latest models next week!
There is a need for a good vostok 24 hour model. I know I would get a few myself

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Waiting for good news from all the Chistopol factory. |>

1 - 20 of 203 Posts