WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get an inexpensive dive watch for an upcoming vacation...nothing fancy, nothing for deep diving, just something that will hold up to shallow snorkelling in salt water for a week or two [preferably longer of course].

I've been looking at the RussArmy Amfibia watches, but I really like the orange-face Vostok CK1-Orange... http://www.russarmy.com/product.cfm/hurl/product_id=54

Is this watch likely to hold up as well to my intended use as an Amfibia? Are the leather straps on these watches interchangable with the metal bracelets? [I sure don't want a leather strap on a dive watch...].

Thanks for any advice....

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hi there!
That's a nice watch, I have one that's black dialed but with green arabic numbers and a green scale. Unlike the Amphibians and Komanderskies this watch does not even have a screw-down crown so you would really put taking a big risk to take this watch diving though it's rated to 30m.
Rgds,
Lee

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...this watch does not even have a screw-down crown so you would really put taking a big risk to take this watch diving though it's rated to 30m.
HI Lee -- After doing a bit of research, I get exactly what you mean. I guess I'll be going after an Amphibian after all. They are nice looking watches...too bad they don't have one with an orange face. Thanks for your tip... :thanks

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hi again!
I think the newest series of Vostok Amfibia may have one with an orange dial. But they are at least 3 times costlier than the older models. Take a look at smirs.com or other sites that may be carrying them.
Lee

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi again!
I think the newest series of Vostok Amfibia may have one with an orange dial. But they are at least 3 times costlier than the older models. Take a look at smirs.com or other sites that may be carrying them.
Lee
Hi Lee -- Those are certainly nice watches, but they cost more than I want to spend at the present time... Besides, I like the retro look of the Soviet-era watches, and if I'm going to own a Russian watch, I darn well want Cyrillic printing on it ;-).

In any case, I've ordered a black Diver Amphibian from RussianWatch.net along with a metal bracelet [US$4!], which should arrive in a couple of weeks, if not sooner.

I'll be testing the watch on a snorkelling trip to Cancun in January...if I get into scuba [I'm going to try out a resort course] maybe I'll spring for one of the modern orange-face Amphibians... [An orange-face Neptune would be a fine style too, if the manufacturer is paying attention...].

Thanks again for you help and advice.

David

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hi again!
I buy my Vostoks from a local dealer. I remember once meeting a fellow customer who'd also bought a Vostok Amphibian. He told me that he had worn his Vostok during his scuba-diving trips and that the Amphibian stood up to the test with no problems!|>
Unless there's a serious problem with the gaskets or a case of forgetting to screw down the crown, the Vostoks should hold up well underwater. I've always had the impression that the Amphibians' and Komanderskies' WR are sort of conservative, their construction being alot more rugged than the rating makes them out to be.
All the best on your next diving trip!:-!
Lee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts