WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
161 - 180 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hallo all...
Great people here and super great effort about these watches.
I have read all the thread... Enjoyed it a lot.
But still I haven't found the couple of things I'd like to know...
I have bought this vostok watch in Moskow in 1991, on the street, so I don't know if it was new or old... (cost was 10$ for what I can recall).

For what I have learned so far, this should be a 020 case amphibia.

Does somebody know in which era they were made?

I haven't opend up the watch but for what I know there can be only one movment inside, is that right? Mine is not automatic of course.

For all I have searched the web I haven't found a watch like mine with that dial.

Could it have been swapped? Or have you seen one like mine before?

I kind of think I should get an automatic amphibia, can you tell me when the first automatic amphibia were made? Is there an automatic amphibia with no date? I would like to have a vintage watch better than the newer ones.

My watch is still running great. It has never been underwater with me actually but still it is still working, never been serviced. I like it a lot, maybe the bazel isn't so great but still, I like it very much.

Thanks in advance to anybody who will help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Matt_Hell from the 1993 Vostok catalogue...

View attachment 15781528
Oh wow! Thanks so much... With the referece I found on Your picture I have been able to spot an italian forum on russian watches... There I found a post about a watch very similar to mine but with green dial sold with the official documenti. People on the forum say the serial numbers on the 1993 catalog are switch ed, so that reference 020555 was the green one and 020xxx was the black one that I have. Anyway, their watches were made in april 1991. I bought mine in july 1991 so I guess it was brand new.
@Matt_Hell from the 1993 Vostok catalogue...

View attachment 15781528
Oh wow, thank you so much...
With the reference reported in the picture you provided, I have been able to find a website in italian about russian watches... All the amphibia are reported with serial numbers there devided in accord to the case model... It might be interesting for somebody.
Here is the page about the 020 case

There are reported 2 watches very similar to mine, one black dial like mine and one with green dial. The watches were sold with the official passport document. The guys in the forum state that the reference numbers in the 1993 catalog are switched... 020555 was the green watch and 020522 was the black one I have. It is also reported that 020 case was made for very few years.
The black watch reported in the forum was made in april 1991. I bought mine in june/july 1991, so I guess my watch was actually farly new when I boght it.

For what I gathered, automatic amphibia were made only starting in the 1980's and there are not automatic watches without the date window... Now I guess I have to decide what I want to buy as my automatic amphibia... My all best would be an original 350 case model if I ever find it (even if it is not automatic it is so beautiful...) or a neptune 9370 case with the original dial of the 350 era in black anche black bazel with white numbers... Will see...
Thanks again for your kind reply.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Not so old ones but 2415 is an automatic mechanism without date. And you can buy Amphibia with that. Not quite old ones but newer ones. 090510 for example retains vintage looks with 2415.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Oh wow! Thanks so much... With the referece I found on Your picture I have been able to spot an italian forum on russian watches... There I found a post about a watch very similar to mine but with green dial sold with the official documenti. People on the forum say the serial numbers on the 1993 catalog are switch ed, so that reference 020555 was the green one and 020xxx was the black one that I have. Anyway, their watches were made in april 1991. I bought mine in july 1991 so I guess it was brand new.

Oh wow, thank you so much...
With the reference reported in the picture you provided, I have been able to find a website in italian about russian watches... All the amphibia are reported with serial numbers there devided in accord to the case model... It might be interesting for somebody.
Here is the page about the 020 case

There are reported 2 watches very similar to mine, one black dial like mine and one with green dial. The watches were sold with the official passport document. The guys in the forum state that the reference numbers in the 1993 catalog are switched... 020555 was the green watch and 020522 was the black one I have. It is also reported that 020 case was made for very few years.
The black watch reported in the forum was made in april 1991. I bought mine in june/july 1991, so I guess my watch was actually farly new when I boght it.

For what I gathered, automatic amphibia were made only starting in the 1980's and there are not automatic watches without the date window... Now I guess I have to decide what I want to buy as my automatic amphibia... My all best would be an original 350 case model if I ever find it (even if it is not automatic it is so beautiful...) or a neptune 9370 case with the original dial of the 350 era in black anche black bazel with white numbers... Will see...
Thanks again for your kind reply.
Yes I forgot about the wrong model numbers in the catalogue, here's an image of your watch with it's correct passport confirming that it's a 020522 and not a 020555 as shown in the 1993 catalogue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Having just brought a round case yesterday I've been looking into them and got a bit confused. So I got the two I have , I thought a 020 and a 420 but that I think is wrong.
What I thought was a 420 I now believe to be a komandirskie 92x . You can see brass showing from plate loss. It does however have 2 slots for the back to fit on but the actual back has only 1 lug.
View attachment 12252194 View attachment 12252202

I also compared the lugs . They appear to be slightly different in shape.

View attachment 12252210
The 020 more rounded when viewed from above. Otherwise the same.
View attachment 12252218 View attachment 12252226

The one I thought was a 420 does have an amphibian crown also, is this correct or wrong ?
The 020 has amphibian hands whilst the 92x or 420 has komandirskie hands.

View attachment 12252362
All I can say is that I recently bought an example of this watch on eBay and it does the same as yours, yes it is brass chrome plated and the backplate only has one location lug. All I'm told is that Vostok never made brass case Amphibia. Obviously this cannot be true, unless unfortunately we both bought Franken watches and the seller was handy with a Dremel and carved the extra lug slot. Mine has the automatic movement 2416b, Backplate is not bearing the Amphibia logo, but has some words in Russian upon it. I'll probably bin this 92 case and get a stainless steel 420 instead. I used to be a purist collector, but what I collect "Vostok" never seems to keep to their own rules or values.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
All I can say is that I recently bought an example of this watch on eBay and it does the same as yours, yes it is brass chrome plated and the backplate only has one location lug. All I'm told is that Vostok never made brass case Amphibia. Obviously this cannot be true, unless unfortunately we both bought Franken watches and the seller was handy with a Dremel and carved the extra lug slot. Mine has the automatic movement 2416b, Backplate is not bearing the Amphibia logo, but has some words in Russian upon it. I'll probably bin this 92 case and get a stainless steel 420 instead. I used to be a purist collector, but what I collect "Vostok" never seems to keep to their own rules or values.
It is untrue, Vostok did experiment with a plated Amphibia case in the early 1990's called a Type 20, the difference between a Type 20 and a Type 92? I'm not too sure that there is any...

Here's a Type 20 with it's passport...

And here's the back of a plated Amphibian from my own collection, you can clearly see the difference in colour between the steel of the crown, locking ring and caseback and the chrome of the case...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well what can I say?
Your example is pretty amazing. A perfectly mint unused one must be as rare as hen's teeth by now.
Obviously judging by the colour it does look chromed on the case and does have two location slots for the correct Amphibia backplate.

The one I bought on eBay was simply for spares to be derived from the movement, so the case condition was of no real concern to me at that time, although later thought, raised the question as to what this watch really was and was the seller trying to con people. Nowhere on the watch does it say Amphibia and the larger case backplate only had the one location lug, precisely the same situation as the guy who's post I originally responded to.

The vast majority of people out there in YouTube watch channel land and "sometimes" in here it would appear, believe that all Amphibia are Stainless steel.
So, I found the post here " Are the Amphibia Cases Chromed?" dated June 2016 and left that trail when someone mentioned the case database.

After hours of reading, reducing my eyes to the state of dried peas, threatening to fall out their sockets, I retired to my bed, really none the wiser.

As with most who study these intriguing watches already know, Komandirskie did appear at some point in time with the automatic movement with date complication (2146b) fitted and they retained the brass with chrome plated case with a larger domed case back NOT marked Amphibia. Having never seen the early ones closely, I cannot say for certain if they also kept the single lug or opted for two. But it does appear from both my evidence and the guy I replied to, that single location lug case backs do exist.

As a new member here this is all relatively new, but I shall endeavour to upload a picture or two. Let me know what you think.
Thank you again for your fast response.
As someone on YouTube recently said, "Nowadays a Komandirskie is whatever Vostok says it is"

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Well what can I say?
Your example is pretty amazing. A perfectly mint unused one must be as rare as hen's teeth by now.
Obviously judging by the colour it does look chromed on the case and does have two location slots for the correct Amphibia backplate.

The one I bought on eBay was simply for spares to be derived from the movement, so the case condition was of no real concern to me at that time, although later thought, raised the question as to what this watch really was and was the seller trying to con people. Nowhere on the watch does it say Amphibia and the larger case backplate only had the one location lug, precisely the same situation as the guy who's post I originally responded to.

The vast majority of people out there in YouTube watch channel land and "sometimes" in here it would appear, believe that all Amphibia are Stainless steel.
So, I found the post here " Are the Amphibia Cases Chromed?" dated June 2016 and left that trail when someone mentioned the case database.

After hours of reading, reducing my eyes to the state of dried peas, threatening to fall out their sockets, I retired to my bed, really none the wiser.

As with most who study these intriguing watches already know, Komandirskie did appear at some point in time with the automatic movement with date complication (2146b) fitted and they retained the brass with chrome plated case with a larger domed case back NOT marked Amphibia. Having never seen the early ones closely, I cannot say for certain if they also kept the single lug or opted for two. But it does appear from both my evidence and the guy I replied to, that single location lug case backs do exist.

As a new member here this is all relatively new, but I shall endeavour to upload a picture or two. Let me know what you think.
Thank you again for your fast response.
As someone on YouTube recently said, "Nowadays a Komandirskie is whatever Vostok says it is"

View attachment 15915710 View attachment 15915712 View attachment 15915716 .
The first image shown of the Type 20 plated Amphibia is not mine unfortunately (wish it was) but as you can see from the passport the model number is 201697, the third number (1) indicates the case is chrome and as you can see the passport is marked for a 2409A Amphibia so such plated Amphibia cases do exist

It seems the plated Type 20 case didn't last long as a Amphibia case and Vostok then started using it as a Komandirskie case with both chrome and titanium nitride (golden) finish, by the late 1990's the Type 20 case was (IMHO) recoded as a Type 92

But looking at your watch I would say that it's not an Amphibia but an auto-Komandirskie and is totally correct for a watch made around 1995, your watch has the correct auto-Komandirskie caseback and although one tab on the caseback and two notches on the case might seem strange it is perfectly correct (Vostok are still doing this with the Type 92 auto-Komandirskie that they still make today...)

I hope this all makes sense and is not too confusing :LOL: but I would leave your watch exactly as it is being a good example of an auto-Komandirskie commemorating 50 Years of Victory...

·
Registered
295 Posts
It is untrue, Vostok did experiment with a plated Amphibia case in the early 1990's called a Type 20, the difference between a Type 20 and a Type 92? I'm not too sure that there is any...

Here's a Type 20 with it's passport...

View attachment 15912570

And here's the back of a plated Amphibian from my own collection, you can clearly see the difference in colour between the steel of the crown, locking ring and caseback and the chrome of the case...

View attachment 15912581
Isn't the Type 92(1) Komandirskie case lacking the screw down crown? This Amphibia Type 20(1) case has a screw down crown.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Isn't the Type 92(1) Komandirskie case lacking the screw down crown? This Amphibia Type 20(1) case has a screw down crown.
No the Type 92 Komandirskie case still has a threaded crown tube and screw down crown whether it's the old big crown version or the newer small crown version...

Crowns for the Type 20 plated Amphibia case will be the steel crimped type and will of course be screw down...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oh, I stand corrected. I had assumed that the small crown Komandirskie Classic models like the type 92 were lacking the threaded crown tube. I don't have any direct experience with the chrome classic models. I've got a fair number of the old 2214/2234 Komandirskie Chistopols in my collection, and those don't screw down. I've also got some contemporary stainless steel automatic Komandirskies like the K35, K65, etc. but I've yet to acquire any of the classic models (I do have a 431.941 incoming though). Do they all screw down (types 21, 81, 43, 53), or just the type 92?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Oh, I stand corrected. I had assumed that the small crown Komandirskie Classic models like the type 92 were lacking the threaded crown tube. I don't have any direct experience with the chrome classic models. I've got a fair number of the old 2214/2234 Komandirskie Chistopols in my collection, and those don't screw down. I've also got some contemporary stainless steel automatic Komandirskies like the K35, K65, etc. but I've yet to acquire any of the classic models (I do have a 431.941 incoming though). Do they all screw down (types 21, 81, 43, 53), or just the type 92?
Yes all the Komandirskie classic cases 21, 81, 43, 53 and a few more that Vostok don't make anymore all screw down...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I was watching some old movies / reports about the watch factories of USSR, and saw this Amphibia with interesting hands. Haven't seen such before.

Here is the movie:

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I was watching some old movies / reports about the watch factories of USSR, and saw this Amphibia with interesting hands. Haven't seen such before.
View attachment 16023225

Here is the movie:
I suspect that the "well" of unknown Vostok models from the past is very deep.

I came across a listing on eBay today which had in interesting "Goldfish" Neptune dial that appears to possibly be a factory issued dial.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I suspect that the "well" of unknown Vostok models from the past is very deep.

I came across a listing on eBay today which had in interesting "Goldfish" Neptune dial that appears to possibly be a factory issued dial.

View attachment 16023240
That's a really interesting dial. You could almost say, "That's inkoidable!" But really, very nice. What time-frame would you put this one in?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
That's a really interesting dial. You could almost say, "That's inkoidable!" But really, very nice. What time-frame would you put this one in?
The seller states it's a factory prototype from the late 80's. I've seen many unique Vostok pieces from this seller over the years.

161 - 180 of 185 Posts