WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Vostok desert shield question

13K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  JRMTactical 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a few questions regarding Vostok desert shield.The Vostok mark logo over #5/4 index is seen in some of the watches but in some watches there are not there?Has it to do with the year of production, or is it because of auto/manuel winding, or is it just random?In the Vostok sticky there is also 2 types of amphibia cases. One with 2mm and one with 3mm case (se picture borrowed from the sticky)I have a dessert shield with 3mm case but with manuel winding. The 3mm was according to the sticky is just for automaticmovements? :think:Thanks! Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Chafing dish Metal
Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Metal
wood

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: Vostok dessert shield question

I have a few questions regarding Vostok dessert shield.

The Vostok mark logo over #5/4 index is seen in some of the watches but in some watches there are not there?
Has it to do with the year of production, or is it because of auto/manuel winding, or is it just random?

In the Vostok sticky there is also 2 types of amphibia cases. One with 2mm and one with 3mm case (se picture borrowed from the sticky)

I have a dessert shield with 3mm case but with manuel winding. The 3mm was according to the sticky is just for automatic
movements? :think:

Thanks!

View attachment 595802 View attachment 595803

wood
I bought one some time ago, a soviet that did not have the vostok logo, which didn't bother me because I don't like it anyway, but did raise a question as to authenticity. I was able to find examples in "well-respected-collections" of both types so I concluded it was random. I am convinced that mine was brand new based on the lack of marking and the difficulty of removing the back along with box and papers blah blah that didn't match, of course. It has the 2414 movement. The case measurement for mine is less than 3mm I believe (using a ruler). Evidently every available amphibian and komandirskie bodies were fitted with this dial at the time and mine is just one of the variants. These had a pretty short production run I believe.

Yours looks to be in nice shape although I can't tell from your pictures if it is new. If it is used then the obvious choices are:
It's automatic but auto-wind not working. I assume you've checked this. The back would also state automatic if it should have been there.
It's automatic but has been "repaired" by replacing 2416 with 2414. Again, back will help here.
It was 2414 from the start. Back without automatic designation would come close to trumping fat case in my mind.

Curious to know what you've got. This is one of the most interesting watches from an historical perspective ever produced in my humble opinion, commemorating unique joint soviet/american military action, and well worth having.

#6 · (Edited)

I bought one some time ago, a soviet that did not have the vostok logo, which didn't bother me because I don't like it anyway, but did raise a question as to authenticity. I was able to find examples in "well-respected-collections" of both types so I concluded it was random. I am convinced that mine was brand new based on the lack of marking and the difficulty of removing the back along with box and papers blah blah that didn't match, of course. It has the 2414 movement. The case measurement for mine is less than 3mm I believe (using a ruler). Evidently every available amphibian and komandirskie bodies were fitted with this dial at the time and mine is just one of the variants. These had a pretty short production run I believe.

Yours looks to be in nice shape although I can't tell from your pictures if it is new. If it is used then the obvious choices are:
It's automatic but auto-wind not working. I assume you've checked this. The back would also state automatic if it should have been there.
It's automatic but has been "repaired" by replacing 2416 with 2414. Again, back will help here.
It was 2414 from the start. Back without automatic designation would come close to trumping fat case in my mind.

Curious to know what you've got. This is one of the most interesting watches from an historical perspective ever produced in my humble opinion, commemorating unique joint soviet/american military action, and well worth having.
Schnurrp!

I´ll have the watch in a safe-deposit. Send the pic later this week. Yes, Russian watches in the bank!

wood

#3 ·

Only thing I have to say is that it's been 21 years since I was deployed to Saudi Arabia for Operation Desert Shield.... I was a 20 year old kid. Within a month of arriving, we started bombing the crap out of the Iraqi army......and within 2 months my friends and I had helped rout that SOB Hussein out of Kuwait. We were ordered to halt operations within sight of Baghdad. Coulda, woulda, shoulda....we had them on the run and could have (might have) saved that nation from its current state of affairs. I don't know. I live with those ghosts every day.

Anyway, I have been looking at a couple of those watches just for their historical value to me. I'd like to get one, and I'll eventually do so. Anyway, wood, I like your examples...I wonder if the issues are just like our buddy Paul says? Time to start opening them up and take a look!

#5 ·

I don´t know what to say tactical. I´m sorry if those memories comes to live! i didn´t know..:-(

wood
No, wood, no apology necessary at all! I just can't believe it's been 21 years! War is what it is, my friend, RARELY are there many good memories....that's probably a good thing... Otherwise we'd find ourselves in the middle of it all the time. One thing about war, the 'ghosts' (memories) always haunt you and you end up 'second guessing' everything. Like I said, it's a 'coulda, woulda, shoulda' situation...wishing we could have solved the problem back then and maybe the situation we're in now might not have happened. BUT, it didn't....can't change that. Please don't apologize, there's no need for an apology from you, my friend. Besides, as I said, I've been looking at a few of them as a souvenir in my collection....but I'm in no hurry as I still have a lustful eye on that matte cased Poljot Traveller!! :)

#8 · (Edited)

@JRMTactical, I'm curious.
You were in Iraq at the time, but you didn't receive one Desert Storm watch? I was thinking, following this knowledgeable WUS thread that every US soldier had received one!
Also, an interview reported by ill-phil seems to say that 20000 watches were deployed in the USA.;-)

Accordingly, I was thinking that in the US you could find one of these watches for few bucks, due to their widespread - was I wrong? :think:

#13 ·

@JRMTactical, I'm curious.
You were in Iraq at the time, but you didn't receive one Desert Storm watch? I was thinking, following this knowledgeable WUS thread that every US soldier had received one!
Also, an interview reported by ill-phil seems to say that 20000 watches were deployed in the USA.;-)

Accordingly, I was thinking that in the US you could find one of these watches for few bucks, due to their widespread - was I wrong? :think:
I never saw a Desert Shield or Desert Storm watch until I came to this forum! Not unusual dormant of us....most of those watches probably went to REMF's ( Rear Echelon Mother F******) who never left Riyadh or Dammam. The Russians, at the time, weren't quite as much 'on our side' as most were led to believe. i.e. there were some advisors on Mr Hussein's side at the time......but once they saw the inherent weaknesses in Soviet Armor, etc.....they were quickly gone.

We had 500,000 'trrop' there at the time, so 20K watche wwouldn't have gone very far! Lol Anyway, I missed out! :-(

#9 · (Edited)

I have a few questions regarding Vostok dessert shield.The Vostok mark logo over #5/4 index is seen in some of the watches but in some watches there are not there?Has it to do with the year of production, or is it because of auto/manuel winding, or is it just random?

In the Vostok sticky there is also 2 types of amphibia cases. One with 2mm and one with 3mm case (se picture borrowed from the sticky)
I have a dessert shield with 3mm case but with manuel winding. The 3mm was according to the sticky is just for automaticmovements?

:think:Thanks!

View attachment 595802 View attachment 595803 View attachment 595933

wood
Yes, Wood, that shows 2414 movement (assumed with date function window). Does back have "Автоматический" (automatic) at bottom? If so, movement has been replaced, probably. If not, then yours is kind of like mine except they used some available 420 cases which would work fine with plenty of room and wouldn't surprise me at all.

#11 · (Edited)

Also, Wood, I would like to revise my statement that Gulf War was US-Russia joint action. It obviously was not. Russia just ended up on the same side with the US coalition after attempting to broker their own UN peace solution which was turned down by Iraq. This was probably due to the weakened state of Russia at the time. Ten years earlier and Russia would have strongly supported their historical ally, Iraq.

#18 ·

A common myth (myth-understanding?!) is that these were made for soldiers. They were not. Absolutely, not. It was a business venture initially from Massachusetts. There was a limited run of about 200,000 watches. We had a lot more than 200k soldiers, so mathematically, it is unrealistic to say they were made as gifts for our boys and girls. Realistic or not, logical or not, the myth persists. The FACT is that these were made for sale. I have at least one of every type, with the exception of my grail, the decorative, luxury case. They were not marketed in the US very well, so they are not well known; certainly not widespread. So, no, you cannot get them for cheap in America. Not many people even know about them.

#20 ·

You can still buy as new the Junior version from ebay - Zentar and Meranom. On Meranom just type in "junior" in the search field.

Russian Military Style VOSTOK Wrist Watch 1586 New | eBay

Search - junior Meranom.com

I also have a small collection of these watches - both amphibians 2414 and 2416, the 2416 Generalskie and a Komandirskie type 33x. All have the vostok logo. Below are a couple of juniors with (replacing #6) and without the logo. Also notice that one has the lollipop second hand.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#21 ·

There is such a great amount of mythology surrounding these watches. With each telling, the story grows. The fact is, they were produced to make money. They were never given to soldiers. Imagine if you will, in the 1st Gulf War we had something like 1,000,000 soldiers there. How in the world could 10,000 watches be given to 1,000,00? Seriously, numbers do not lie. Even the Vostok interview (posted here previously) with Vladislav Zivilinin shows the initial 10,000 were followed by 200 and then followed by another 20,000.
Unless classified and protected by a 50-year code of silence, there is no available proof that US government had anything at all to do with these watches.

#26 ·

There is such a great amount of mythology surrounding these watches. With each telling, the story grows. The fact is, they were produced to make money. They were never given to soldiers. Imagine if you will, in the 1st Gulf War we had something like 1,000,000 soldiers there. How in the world could 10,000 watches be given to 1,000,00? Seriously, numbers do not lie. Even the Vostok interview (posted here previously) with Vladislav Zivilinin shows the initial 10,000 were followed by 200 and then followed by another 20,000.
Unless classified and protected by a 50-year code of silence, there is no available proof that US government had anything at all to do with these watches.
^^^^yep, 100% not "issued" or anything at all to do with the US gov.^^^^

#22 ·

Just out of curiosity; how many versions do exist of this watch?
I see dial plates with and without the Vostok logo, different cases, Juniors with storm and shield text, etc, etc..

Anyway to tell sh*t from sh*te..?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.