WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings WUSers! I just came across this post (click here) where someone created an homage to a vintage omega seamaster by customizing a Vostok Amphibia. I'm a Vostok fan and I have a couple on the way and will be doing some mild mods to suit my tastes, but I was wondering. GIven all the options for customizing the amphibia, what other classic or contemporary mid-range to high end watches can be "cloned/homaged" using the venerable Vostok. If you have any ideas, or if you've already done it, please post pics. I'm looking for ideas. If you are able to create your own dials, please let me know. I may utilize your services! Cheers!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Looks like they make the amphibia in a case with crown guard, without crown guards, and in a cushion case. The cushion case and no crown guard case give you a bunch of options in terms of vintage watches. Ebay also has a lot of aftermarket bezels (in terms of insert color). Sky's the limit! I suggest starting with what the other OP did and picking a vintage/modern diver that appeals to you.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Out of necessity, anything you could possibly make an homage for with a Vostok would be a vintage diver. The bulky steel cases and domed acrylic crystals don't allow for much else.

They're also not quite as easy to mod as, say, a Seiko or Seiko-powered Invicta. The hands aren't quite in standard sizes, for example. Once you go beyond swapping out the bezel for an aftermarket one you're heading into mildly challenging territory.

That said, there's a real satisfaction in finishing a mod that goes beyond simply picking up parts for a Seiko and swapping them in. Here's mine.

I consider it an Omega homage, but in a broad sense. It's a little bit of Seamaster 300, a little bit of Ploprof, and a lot of Vostok.

(For those keeping track at home, this is a vintage 470 case, a vintage 2409A movement, a modern Vostok dial, a Boris bezel, a Dagaz insert, and a combination of ETA and Miyota hands modified for the Vostok movement.)

There are a few other Vostok modders on the boards. Check out Svorkoetter's thread on his Seamaster homage (https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/vostok-amphibia-based-vintage-diver-project-1559426.html) which has a custom dial and an excellent step-by-step account of it's construction. Then, head over to the Russian subforum and check out the Vostok modding thread (https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/vostok-mods-1133714.html.) Some extremely prolific and talented modders over there.

Best of luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts