WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

Is it me, or has Vostok lume suddenly improved?

http://i.imgur.com/oPnFu3h.jpg

The lower watch is new and arrived in the last couple of
weeks; the upper watch was bought new, but is now a couple
of years old.

After being in darkness all day, I exposed both to the same
amount of light, over now more than a couple of minutes.
Here's the result.

http://i.imgur.com/6eXwyg5.jpg

(The left watch was the lower one in the previous photo.)
Bear in mind that I took the photos using my phone, and
phones are especially bad in low light with their tiny
lenses. You can easily see the difference between the two
watches.

I noticed this after I went to bed after a normal day of
wearing the newer watch, and woke up about seven hours later
in darkness, and I could still read the time. Not easily,
but the lume was still glowing faintly. Did I just get
lucky?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I find the lume always works a bit better on newer Vostoks, but starts losing effectiveness pretty fast. So it is probably just because the lume is "fresher". Take the same picture in a year and I bet it won't be as bright.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I don't know how Vostok's lume works. Sometimes it's very satisfactory, and sometimes barely glows (in the same watch, of course). I once remember going to a dark pub with my amphibian, straight from a sunny day and I noticed the lume was glowing merrily, with very satisfying intensity. On the other hand, usually it barely glows and fades quickly. I think it must have got into direct sunlight right before the pub doors, that made it glow like crazy for a while. Still - all in all, Vostok's lume is bad. That does not apply to Vostok Europe watches, however, but those are a different story...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I find the lume always works a bit better on newer Vostoks, but starts losing effectiveness pretty fast. So it is probably just because the lume is "fresher". Take the same picture in a year and I bet it won't be as bright.<br>
<br>
Welcome to the forum!
Well, I've had five Vostoks, all new. This latest one is markedly different. It seems to have proper lume. There's not much of it, and since Vostok lume is applied sparingly it will never be as bright as other watches, no matter how good the lume is. But it's a lot brighter than any other Vostok I've had and quite usable. Sorry I don't have a proper camera to take photos with, but the difference is striking.

Anyhow, this is now the only Vostok I wear, since the lume actually works :). It's also my first automatic Komandirskie, and I'm very impressed. Opening it up, the rotor appears to be fluted, which I wasn't expecting, but after some research this appears to be normal. It's much lighter than the rotors in my Amphibias: I can't feel it moving at all, which is awesome.

Also, after letting it bed in for a few weeks, I've regulated it to a consistent +5s / 48hrs. All three of my Komandirskies (all new) have been rock solid. I've not been so lucky with my Amphibias. Different production lines and differing quality control perhaps? Possibly a sample of five watches is not statistically significant however :). I do have a 120 case on the way however, so in time I hope to have a statistically significant sample!<br><br>Quick Q: does the auto Komandirskie case have the exact same dimensions as the Amphibia 420? I'm guessing it does since it has two slots for the tabs you get in the Amphibia caseback, whereas the Komandirskie caseback has only one tab.

Finally, thanks for the welcome :-D. And sorry about the font earlier, not sure how that happened!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Warm welcome mate! I too think vostok's lume is somewhat improved, but still horrendous....

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The hands I buy from Komandirskie.com are very very potent and last for ages well past the 10 mins mark so I imagine Vostok are using superluminova or something similar as Vostok has been the butt of many a comment on the poor lume quality.

I suspect its not so much the lume but those tiny lume dots on the dial haven't the potential to accrete light and is more a physical than anything issue.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The hands I buy from Komandirskie.com are very very potent and last for ages well past the 10 mins mark
Good to know, I fancied a lot of the hands from Komandirskie but was worried about the lume - only when it was especially mentioned 'superluminova' or some such did I have faith to buy

·
Registered
388 Posts
I received an Amphibia Reef last week. Model with 2 crowns. Lume holds strong all night long! Best of all the Vostok watches I have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts