WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

261 - 280 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Has anyone tried themselvse to make a fully lumed dial? Would something like that even be possible? For example, applying lume mixed with the thinner across the whole dial with a wider brush? Would that change the color drastically (in order to get at least a bit of lume on the dial)? Would the type of lume be a factor (say Superluminova applied thinner could shine brighter than other lume applied thicker)?

I want to try it on old broken watches with dials I have no use for to see what it would look like, but maybe someone already has experience?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Has anyone tried themselvse to make a fully lumed dial? Would something like that even be possible? For example, applying lume mixed with the thinner across the whole dial with a wider brush? Would that change the color drastically (in order to get at least a bit of lume on the dial)? Would the type of lume be a factor (say Superluminova applied thinner could shine brighter than other lume applied thicker)?

I want to try it on old broken watches with dials I have no use for to see what it would look like, but maybe someone already has experience?
You might ask Doctone for suggestions. I think he's done some lume projects where he made his own (or re-lumed) sandwich dial. I little different than what you're looking for, but...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Has anyone tried themselvse to make a fully lumed dial?
I have tried this with some success. I have no photos.

As you say, thinned SuperLuminova is better than thick cheap lume.
When it is thinned more than usual, it will spread more evenly.
Inspect it with the lights turned off to see if it is evenly applied.
Thicker spots will be brighter.
It is easier to lume a dial without raised indices or numbers.
Then you can lightly sand the entire surface of the lume to make it completely level.
You can then add your own metal or plastic indices by cutting little slots into the lume for the indices or simply glue them on top of the lume.

Remember: there must be enough clearance between the surface of the lume on the dial and the hands, the H hand in particular.
If there is little clearance, you could first sand the dial face to make it thinner then apply a thin coat of lume.

Sanding lume: only use sandpaper or a file that will NOT leave dark grit or metal particles in the lume. A white diamond grit stone or paper or similar is good. A flat stainless steel metal piece, such as a dinner utensil, is a good file if you create a rough surface on it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Also, if you can spray the lume onto the dial then it can be applied more evenly.
A small sprayer such as those used for plastic models may work.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Nice, thanks a lot man. I am by far not experienced enough to do this yet, but as I said, I have a couple of dials I have no use for and I plan to practice on them first.

My goal (for now) would eventually be to lume that Amphibia dial with the sailboat on, but without messing with the colors too much. Maybe find some bluish lume, that would fit better.

·
Registered
635 Posts
@onastar1989 , @stevarad

I don't see anything under that ebay number, do you have a link or a screenshot if the item is gone? Would like to see what it looks like, I'm also looking for partly gold straps, mostly on aliexpress.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Anybody know where to source lumed ceramic inserts for a Vostok Amphibia? I cannot seem to find a lumed ceramic 24hr insert. Thanks!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Anybody know where to source lumed ceramic inserts for a Vostok Amphibia? I cannot seem to find a lumed ceramic 24hr insert. Thanks!
I bought a lumed ceramic 1-12 hr insert from this guy: marxon88 bei eBay , I asked him whether he'll have new such inserts in more colors, he said he should receive different ones soon... So just check on him from time to time...

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
thanks, paging @DocTone
some pages before ..You find the „glowing dude„

Paint the dial white.
Spray clear phosphorent lacquer on it. Do it by several layers. (Dońt use cheap lacquer)
by growing thickness of Dial maybe it’s needed to remove the date mechanism of 2416.

PS:
because some request raised
My recommendation to get a proper result : buy professional lacquer ( for cars, bikes etc. )
like this :
Spray phosphoreszierende Farbe
Yes price is higher but judge by yourself the comparison to a Seiko , and a Seamaster

261 - 280 of 460 Posts