WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a white dialled, Vostok Amphibian Neptune GMT on YouTube the other day and simply fell in love with it. I've not got GMT in my small collection so thought this would be a nice addition. There is something almost 'art deco' about the dial and personally, I think it's gorgeous so I ordered one from Russia. I got quite a good deal on Fleabay so I just have to wait and see when it turns up. I think my last Vostok took a few weeks several years ago so now I'm waiting in eager anticipation.

vostok amphibian neptune GMT.jpg

Now here's the kicker, I hate dedicated straps and bracelets that you can't easily change out. I'm not that keen on steel bracelets at the best of times let alone the garbage Vostok usually serve up with their offerings although, from the video, this one did look a little better than usual but not that much. So, what do I do? I ordered up a 100 case separately and am hoping that someone can tell me whether or not I can do a straight swap from one case into the other?

I'm also not quite sure about the bezel at the moment. So, I am contemplating getting either an AM or Murphy bezel. As the AM already seems to come with the insert it looks like the better deal, plus I quite like the conical bezel so the crystal still sits proud. I'm not quite won over just yet on bezel swaps where the insert is flat with the top of domed crystal. To me it looks slightly strange having a gap between crystal and bezel, but hey, that's just me. If I saw one in the flesh I might well change my mind, plus they have the advantage of taking numerous types of seiko bezel inserts over AM's dedicated ones. Any other suggestions will be very gratefully received.

To me, this watch just cries out to be modded in a sympathetic way so I'll probably get a nice leather strap plus a rubber one for holiday swimming, etc. I've only ever modded my blue dialled Scuba Dude 420 by changing the strap and giving it a plain bezel to turn it into a field watch. I absolutely love this little Vostok and it's one of my favourite watches in my collection.

IMG_0005 2.jpg

·
Registered
132 Posts
I put my Neptune in a 710 case because of the band issue, and maybe also just for kiks. I'm pretty sure it will fit into a 100 as well

I bought an AM Diver bezel, and I liked it at first, but the more I wore the watch, the more I did not like the height of the bezel. Not so much from
any gap between the crystal and bezel, but rather because of how high the bezel protrudes from the watch in general.

Here's my 710 Neptune. Bezel looks great from this angle, but I somehow think the profile look isn't great. Just me.

myneptunesmall.jpg

Heres a pic of a stock Vostok bezel next to an AM Diver bezel. you can see the difference. I ordered a black PVD bezel from Meranom
listed as 3.8 mm high - the same as the neptune bezel, which seems to be low profile like the stock bezels. FWIW to you

bezel height.jpg

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm not quite won over just yet on bezel swaps where the insert is flat with the top of domed crystal. To me it looks slightly strange having a gap between crystal and bezel.... If I saw one in the flesh I might well change my mind, plus they have the advantage of taking numerous types of seiko bezel inserts
This gap is not obvious when wearing the watch and is smaller than you may think.

This is certainly true of those of dr.seikostain who has some of the tallest bezels.

To my eyes, the tall bezels make the crystal almost appear to be flat across the top and the curvature is only really noticeable when viewed at an angle.

This effect is not always shown in many of the photos in this forum but cameras often show things differently than how the eye sees them.

I would purchase a taller bezel with seiko style insert if you don't choose the AM bezel. The great variety of Seiko inserts is an advantage.
Wear it for a few weeks and then if you don't like it, you'll have no problem selling it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies guys. The bezel issue certainly gives food for thought. Whilst I don't want to waste money, if I got a bezel and didn't like it it's not the end of the world. It does make me smile the way we buy a watch for £50 -£60 then spend as much again, if not more, modding it. But that's the joy of Vostoks, and if you don't end up with something unique not many others will have exactly the same watch, something that cannot be said about the Rolex guys who revel in the fact that millions of people have exactly the same watch as them. I guess I'm just a bit quirky. I have a Pam Submersible 1000 but, tbh, my Vostok (and other cheaper Kickstarter watches) gives me just as much pleasure as wearing nearly£5k on my wrist....am I mad?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Steelarts, I have recently done something similar with a Vostok GMT. I chose the 650539 Komandirskie, and placed it into an Amphibia 710 'Ministry' case. According to the Meranom website, my watch has a 2426.12 movement and your Neptune will have a 2426.02? Not sure what the difference there is...but I am optimistic you'll have success too. FWIW I found it very easy in my case to accomplish the swap. The movement fit like a glove. For a moment I was worried when on inspection the crown stem lengths were noticeably different, however my fears alleviated when the new stem did properly engage and all was good!

Good luck, the Neptune GMT looks very cool

Below left to right is the original 650 case my watch came in, the new 710 case finished product, and the dive bezel that came with the 710 case. Photo was for my personal memories, if I'd seen this thread earlier I would have documented more for ya sorry!

650539 mod.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts