WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Vostok; Casio
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A year ago, I bought a Retro Vostok watch (model: Retro 540001) from Meranom. Some rain drops got on the watch, and afterwards I noticed there were a lot of droplets on the inside of the crystal. (The watch documentation states that it's resistant to rain and water splashes from hand washing.) At the time this had occurred, my watch was still under warranty (this was before the COVID pandemic), and I emailed Meranom to ask for advice. I emailed them 3 times, but they never got back to me. (I've became gravely disappointed with Meranom.)

Now, I have a few questions:

1) Do you recommend I get the watch serviced?

2) Do you think it's worthwhile to get the watch repaired, to make it splash resistant (as it should be)? My local watchmaker told me he would likely have to take off the crystal and re-glue it. Do I run the risk of damaging the watch? Ideally, I'd want the Vostok Chistopol factory to work on it, but Meranom isn't responsive..

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Nikolay7...Hello!

To my mind & experience with watches in general, this is an easy fix! Any good Watchmaker will simply take the movement out / re-do the crystal seal / make sure the case back gasket is OK / make sure the stem is well-lubed where it meets the case / Voila...all done, and ready to go.

It's also a very good idea to have a watch that's new to you, be quickly looked at by your Watchmaker...unless it's, say, a new Rolex or Blancpain ( ! ), or something really High-Grade like that, there's always a chance that something is not quite right, and a quick look-see by a Professional might catch something before it ruined the watch.

Once again: you're in pretty good shape here, and--with just a little Luck-- your Vostok should be OK for years to come.

Michael.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I wasn't aware that Chistopol does watch service, is that true? I think it's just a factory. The whole "get the factory to service" is a more recent Swiss invention to get a slice of the market away from independent watchmakers, as I understand it (also they keep your watch for a year or more and just replace parts because it's cheaper than fixing, say bye to any high-value patina)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Firstly I might say it's a beautiful watch you've got!
It's WR is pretty low, and I'm not sure if it has an O-ring on the crown tube. If it does, a watchmaker can put some silicone grase on the back seals and crown tube, but not much more he can do. Heard some people put their watches in rice (for a day or two) to get moisture out of it. I just open mine and blow air to dry them.
The specs say it's WR is for rain droplets falling on the watch or running water with very low pressure.
Again, I would advise reaching out the russian watch section, as members there are very well informed on Chistopol production and very friendly.
Guess Meranom will do service for 100m or 200m WR watches (bought at their shop), but not much he can do with low WR ones.
Ivan

·
Registered
Vostok; Casio
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies! In your experience, are US watchmakers knowledgeable about Vostok watches? I went to a few watchmakers, and they didn't seem too thrilled about servicing it. I live in a major city btw (NYC).

I've also posted on the Russian Watches forum to get their input.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Please note that putting silicone grease on a gasket doesn't make the gasket seal. Although all of the seals should be looked at, the vast majority of watches that leak, do so through the crown and case tube interface (at least in my experience).

Adding a bit of grease is not going to fix a leak there.

If the case tube where the crown seal seats is in good condition, then it's likely the seal inside the crown. Depending on the design, it might be something that can be replaced, but if not a new crown is the only solution.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
Vostok; Casio
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to update the thread. I sent Meranom a message on WUS. They responded to my PM, and I will send the watch to Chistopol to be looked at. It's likely my emails to Meranom ended up in their junk mail.
Really happy with their service!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Good to hear! Was a bit surprised they ignored you, didn't sound typical of them. I myself never had a bad experience.
Hope shipping is fast enough to enjoy the watch again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts