WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
This is my first post on this forum and I have a burning question!

My partner handed me a watch to service that belonged to her (Russian) grandfather with an interesting text saying: "from the government of Moscow for service to the fatherland".

Due to some obscurities within the family here and there, the background of her grandfather is not well known. All info we got was that he might have worked for the government or military. We were wondering whether anyone here knows what model watch this is and maybe what the story behind the watch could have been. I wasn't able to find the same watch anywhere on the internet. I suspect it is a Vostok brand as I have seen a Vostok with the same back although I have never seen one with these lobes on the front combined with shapes instead of numbers.

-Mareijn

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Looks like a normal Komandirskie (or Generalskie), probably a 2214 movement (or 2414 if it's newer)- or, if the seconds hand stops when you pull out the crown maybe even a 2234, which would be a bit more exclusive cause I thing those are rarer... Anyway, the dial is special, probably a limited series, put in watches that were given as present to commemorate something. There are far greater experts on this forum, but I think this is a relatively 'normal' watch, with a special dial.

·
Registered
960 Posts
It's a modern 43 cased Vostok Komandirskie with 2414A movement and made in the last 20 years...

The dial doesn't look to be an official Vostok produced example but rather one made by a number of small companies that used to specialize in small production runs for government departments and private companies...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Hi all!
This is my first post on this forum and I have a burning question!

My partner handed me a watch to service that belonged to her (Russian) grandfather with an interesting text saying: "from the government of Moscow for service to the fatherland".

Due to some obscurities within the family here and there, the background of her grandfather is not well known. All info we got was that he might have worked for the government or military. We were wondering whether anyone here knows what model watch this is and maybe what the story behind the watch could have been. I wasn't able to find the same watch anywhere on the internet. I suspect it is a Vostok brand as I have seen a Vostok with the same back although I have never seen one with these lobes on the front combined with shapes instead of numbers.

-Mareijn
View attachment 15377453 View attachment 15377452 View attachment 15377454
At least you have some 'provenence' for the watch, as you know (?) what year that is the latest year that he could have been given it, the other thought is, I always thought that it was 'Mother Russia', who would have referred to it as 'The Fatherland' (a phrase I've always associated with Germany)?
While the case is still in production, I've not seen that bezel being offered, so I'd say that to date it, (without grandfather's help) you're going to have to find out when the case started production, and the years that the bezel was produced - that would give you a 'window' (not sure how bigger one though)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
In Russian there are 2 words:

Родина - motherland
Отечество - fatherland

Both used and mean pretty much same. One is chosen over the other based on if you want to stress ‘tender love’ or ‘bravery’. Something like that.
Thanks for enlightening me (always willing to learn!)
So going by that, could mean that the watch was presented for (possibly) military/emergency service?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
There are a lot of similar watches made by ChChZ. Here are a few examples. Such watches were given to the various military, firefighters, emt, etc workers. Privates drafted for the services, etc, etc. Just a small taken of appreciation from the government.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the massive amount of information!!! I couldn't be happier to see all these replies!

I have never thought about collecting Vostok watches but I think I'm going to keep a closer look at these. They seem to be a lot of bang for your buck. Because of sentimental value this one is gonna be neatly stored away but I'm already looking for an automatic one as daily driver!

It is now clear that it's a Vostok brand but the dial is custom made by a third party. I have sent some emails here and there to really find out when this exact watch was handed out, by what instance and for what exact reason. I'll keep you updated when I have some more information about that!

All your replies are very much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Thank you all for the massive amount of information!!! I couldn't be happier to see all these replies!

I have never thought about collecting Vostok watches but I think I'm going to keep a closer look at these. They seem to be a lot of bang for your buck. Because of sentimental value this one is gonna be neatly stored away but I'm already looking for an automatic one as daily driver!

It is now clear that it's a Vostok brand but the dial is custom made by a third party. I have sent some emails here and there to really find out when this exact watch was handed out, by what instance and for what exact reason. I'll keep you updated when I have some more information about that!

All your replies are very much appreciated!
Glad that the knowledgeable folks on here can help - a picture of the movement may well help those that know to date it ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad that the knowledgeable folks on here can help - a picture of the movement may well help those that know to date it ;)
I'll be sure to provide one asap! I am not in the position to open it without damaging as I am visiting my partner, I'll be back home in a month...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts