WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6,581 Posts
Boris,

Great idea that.

What interests me is this: being in a planned economy - or established in a planned economy environment, any enterprise would have developed into its own microcosm, and that applied to Vostok as well, naturally. In the market economy, these enterprises need to adapt; some succeeded and some failed. How is Vostok coping, in terms of transitioning from an enterprise which grew out of planned economy, to an enterprise which has to exist - and flourish - in the market economy environment.

· Registered
6,581 Posts
Mister Mike,

It is all very well for us to want Vostok to keep making inexpensive watches, but if they cannot operate as a viable enterprise, it would not be a good idea.

Certainly we would not want Vostok to become a competitor to Vacheron Constantin or Audemars Piguet, or even Panerai, the point is, they are stuck with the resources at hand, both in terms of assets and workforce (and the social responsibility of keeping the townsfolk of Christopol employed). That is a great challenge which the management has to face; whether the inexpensive watches we have always enjoyed fit into it or otherwise becomes less relevant in this big picture.

· Registered
6,581 Posts
First of all, come back to the old bezels!!!:roll:
Hear hear! The "compass" bezels are a bit cringe-inducing; the ones on the early Amphibias (such as the Tonneau), the "combs", and the black are great. Better still, make them stainless steel so the edges won't show brassing, and somehow less prone to getting stuck after a number of years.

Also, some sports watch users don't really use the bezel at all; the option of a plain one with no markings might be a thought? Member Dave Murphy turned one out of stainless steel for his custom Amphibia and it looked stunning.

· Registered
6,581 Posts
I'm sorry, but after this

---------------------------------------------
Does Vostok produce the watches „Troika"? No.
Is it true that Vostok is in difficult financial situation? Yes, and the reason is the non-payment by russian consumers.
What is more advantageous for Vostok as a company, the drain abroad of the watches manufactured for the domestic market or direct deliveries abroad? Direct deliveries.
---------------------------------------------

do you still think it is wise to support Vostok in such a way?
I think getting any new Vostok would go some way to help the company, but it also means Vostok needs to establish an official sales network in various countries, and that would be a bit of a job too.

· Registered
6,581 Posts
Vostok has been supplying movements to other makers for some time, and often the Vostok name also appear on the dial too. Off the top of my head, these makers include Vostok-Europe, Cardi-Vostok, Troika (in Belarus I think), but I am not quite sure about the Partner series, where it may or may not be in the Vostok catalogue.

This side of the business is of course facing a huge challenge from the Chinese makers who, together, offer a huge selection from very ordinary fares to quite high-end ones. Compared to them - even with ETA's imminent exit, Vostok's movement portfolio is actually very small and would not be able to cover as much ground.

However, all is not lost. Consider Lum-Tec who used what's basically a single batch of Slava movements to produce a series of well-liked watches, the fact that they have a Russian movement (albeit misrepresented as "military") is a selling point that appeals. Vostok can take advantage of this, as long as quality and consistency can be assured. In addition, adding hacking function - and getting 2434 to hack properly - would make them even more attractive to the other watch makers. But of course, I am speculating a little here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.