Votes: 2 3.9%
  • SBGC007

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Now that Timeless is a Grand Seiko boutique, we're given access to tons of amazing new boutique-only models. Since we've got them in stock, I've been wildly impressed with these new watches and a few of them quickly became some of my all-time favorite Grand Seikos (can you guess which?). The biggest surprise is how sporty the overall collection is. There are still dressy models, of course, but the percentage of sporty ones is much higher than in any other group of GSes.

Being huge Grand Seiko fans ourselves, we've decided to write reviews of nearly every new model! Check the watches out below, vote for your favorite and tell us why in the comments! Then check out our new boutique section here.

1: Grand Seiko SBGA059

The first model, and not coincidentally our first review, is a new version of the Snowflake with gold accents!

2: SBGR077 and 3: SBGR079

The mechanical SBGR077 and SBGR079 are some of the most unique and surprising pieces out of the boutique collection. Each is antimagnetic, which is unusual in its own right, but they're also extremely sporty for the brand's standards, not just in style, but in terms of size and weight as well. They're also some of the few GS models that come with luminous hands.

4: SBGA101

The SBGA101 was another very surprising watch. This model, with its matte black dial and luminescent hands and markers, in addition to its solid back, comes as close to a traditional tool watch as we've seen from Grand Seiko in a long time (since the SBGA029 and SBGE001, at the very least). It's also one of the most affordable.

5: SBGA081

The SBGA081 joins the SBGA059 as another new spring drive, this time with sporty elements that are borrowed from the SBGR055, like the crown guards and more angular hands and markers. Its most striking detail, however, is its beautiful vertically brushed dial.

6: SBGX009 and 7: SBGX041

The SBGX009 is by far the dressiest addition to the GS boutique lineup. Its classic cream dial invites comparisons to other dress staples like the Patek Calatrava. Inside ticks the 9F61 quartz movement, one of the most accurate in the world. Fans of dark dials can also choose the SBGX041.

8: SBGB003

The SBGB003 is a rare addition to Grand Seiko's chronograph models and brings a unique movement to the North American lineup, the 9R84 spring drive. The 9R84 differs from the more common 9R86 in that it doesn't have a GMT hand. This helps to give it a cleaner dial. Other features fans will appreciate are the more conventional pushers which will no doubt be far less divisive than the SBGC001's.

9: SBGR073

The SBGR073 is a gorgeous blue dial automatic and it will become a favorite among those who prefer their watches a little smaller, as this one is 37mm. While not necessarily a sports watch, at least not to the degree of several other new boutique models, it does have some sporty accents like a red tipped seconds hand.

10: SBGE015

The SBGE015, like the SBGA059 above, is a new version of an existing model, the extremely popular SBGE001. It has two important changes. First, the case is now titanium instead of stainless steel, which will be nice because this is one of the largest Grand Seikos. The second change is the gold accents in the hands, markers, and numerals underneath the sapphire bezel, giving it an almost vintage look.

11: SBGM025 and 12: SBGM027

The SBGM025 is basically the GMT version of the SBGR055, one of the sportiest automatic models GS has ever made. Like the SBGR055, it has features unusual to GS like the crown guard and more angular hands. Stylistically it looks to make a great competitor to the Rolex Explorer II.

The SBGM027 is basically the return of the SBGM001, the first GMT Grand Seiko released back in 2002. This time around it's a boutique-only model. The SBGM027, of course, uses the contemporary 9S66 instead of the SBGM001's 9S56.

13: SBGR087 and 14: SBGR089

The SBGR087 and SBGR089 are about as traditional as Grand Seikos get, borrowing the 37mm case from the SBGR051 and utilizing the 9S65 automatic movement. I particularly like the brown dial of the SBGR089.

15: SBGA075

The SBGA075 spring drive is, without a doubt, one of the coolest new models, with its blue dial and red-tipped seconds hand. The case is made a bit more aggressive thanks to crown guards.

16: SBGC007

The SBGC007 is basically another version of the SBGC003 but now with a dark green dial and leather strap. The SBGC003 was already a very sporty watch, and interestingly, at least with regard to these boutique-only models, it was made a bit dressier in my opinion with the strap and dial choice.

·
Registered
973 Posts
First congratulations. Welcome to perpetual maze of Seiko model branding. On a separate note how will you know which models to stock? Will you stock all of them?
I am glad my Grand Seiko SBGR069 still JDM. At 38mm I hope it will not go mainstream.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First congratulations. Welcome to perpetual maze of Seiko model branding. On a separate note how will you know which models to stock? Will you stock all of them?
I am glad my Grand Seiko SBGR069 still JDM. At 38mm I hope it will not go mainstream.
We'll be eventually stocking all of them (although not perhaps at the same time, it can take awhile for them to get here). They're coming in now and in our initial batch we'll have about 12 different models so we'll have a lot of variety right away. We've got about 10 different boutique models on display now. We intend to review the first ten or so we got in a row so this will be a month of straight Grand Seiko reviews.

I'm trying to do them in order they appear in my list here although given that some are bought etc we may have to change the order a bit as time goes on. Up next are the two anti-magnetic models which I'm really excited about.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
SBGR077, with SBGE015 in a close second. The anti-magnetic should give the old ETA powered IWC Ingenieur a run for the money, not to mention the Milgauss. When they GS figures out an anti-magnetic spring drive version, then the JLC Geophysic can start worrying.
And the SBGE015 is awesome, although I would still be fine with the (presumably) heavier SS case version 001.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts