WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since man started messing about in boats multitudes of things have been lost at sea and for at least the last 200 years there has been a lot of people obsessed in trying to retrieve whatever they can find and most divers tend to go to places of interest like shipwrecks etc , Now this is the interesting bit !! SO MANY divers return to the boat only to discover they have lost their prized dive watch !! not to mention the fishermen who lose them over the side of the boat while hauling in the BIG one !!!!

Now i want to ask do any of these lost watches ever get found ?? ...Hmmm....Interesting ???

I would love to hear any story of found watches at sea !! Age ? condition ? still working ? etc,

Tell me a story !!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I once had a Citizen Promaster diver fly off my wrist as I was climbing up the boat ladder. I had worn the watch on a rubber band that was two mms narrower than the lug width and the band just ripped the pushpin off. I created quite a fuss on the boat, since this was a watch that I had bought as a student with the money that my grandmother had given to persuade me to have my hair cut (a whole different story), and had been with me through more than fifty dives.

The captain, a retired navy man, made a quick mental note of our bearings, promised to come back the next day, and against all my futile protesting, sailed the boat back. I was very upset on the way back to the shore, quite sure that I would never see my watch again, and promised to buy a whole night's drinks to the person who finds it.

The next day six of us dove to look for the watch that I was so obsessively attached to. After about five minutes' sweeping on the slope of the reef, some metalic glint caught my eye. There it was at around 15 meters! My precioussss :) Needless to say I was ecstatic, counting my stars that I had found my watch and that it was me who found it. That night at the bar I bought all my friends a round of drinks and never, neither when diving nor on land, wore a watch with a faulty band again.

The watch in this story is the second one from left on the bottom row. Since then I came to wear almost all my divers on bracelets, controlling periodically that the pushpins are intact.

9913.jpg

A couple of bigger pictures, borrowed from the internet.

321d_3.jpg 2288_3.jpg

Cheers,

·
Registered
991 Posts
I once had a Citizen Promaster diver fly off my wrist as I was climbing up the boat ladder. I had worn the watch on a rubber band that was two mms narrower than the lug width and the band just ripped the pushpin off. I created quite a fuss on the boat, since this was a watch that I had bought as a student with the money that my grandmother had given to persuade me to have my hair cut (a whole different story), and had been with me through more than fifty dives.

The captain, a retired navy man, made a quick mental note of our bearings, promised to come back the next day, and against all my futile protesting, sailed the boat back. I was very upset on the way back to the shore, quite sure that I would never see my watch again, and promised to buy a whole night's drinks to the person who finds it.

The next day six of us dove to look for the watch that I was so obsessively attached to. After about five minutes' sweeping on the slope of the reef, some metalic glint caught my eye. There it was at around 15 meters! My precioussss :) Needless to say I was ecstatic, counting my stars that I had found my watch and that it was me who found it. That night at the bar I bought all my friends a round of drinks and never, neither when diving nor on land, wore a watch with a faulty band again.

The watch in this story is the second one from left on the bottom row. Since then I came to wear almost all my divers on bracelets, controlling periodically that the pushpins are intact.

Cheers,
Awesome story!! Must have been so amazing to see that watch again :)

·
Registered
914 Posts

Wow, you're lucky!

I sure hope this thread picks up; I love these stories!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks erdem that is an awesome story and no doubt has made that watch twice as precious to you now it has two really great stories to tell !
First the haircut bribe from Grandma and the night it spent on the bottom of the ocean all alone ! not to mention the Heroic rescue by you and your mates
under the promise of free drinks !!
When you pass it down in the family the Inheritor will be able to pass these stories on to only add to the mystic and wonder !!
Thanks again for sharing !!!!

Let's keep e'm comming guys !!! I'm loving I't !!!!! Cheers !!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I owned my own sloop for 12 years and lost a couple of cheap Casios over the side while sailing. This was back before I was into watches, but I suppose that's a good thing. It's a bummer to lose a watch, but better to lose a $25 black plastic cheapie than a $500 boutique diver.

How did I lose them? Whenever the wind would pick up to unmanageable speeds, I would go forward to stow the jib and reef the mainsail. Once your sheets are uncleated in a strong wind they begin to whip around with incredible force. In both cases a whipping sheet caught me on the wrist and busted one of the spring bars on the watch, sending it sailing over the side of the boat to the bottom of the lake. This was all way before I had ever heard of or seen NATO straps. When I finally did discover them, I immediately saw their value for chaotic situations like high wind sailing.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Come on guys !!!!! there must be some really cool stories out there somewhere ?????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts