WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all!

I just found this little watch. Price was not high so I bought it.
1. Can anyone shed some light as year of manufacture, caliber?
2. Can the alarm be used constantly without damaging the watch?
3. I just left the alarm unwound, but when I shake my arm, it makes one or two sounds.
4. Any particular suggestion as if special care is needed will be welcome.

Cheers from Tampico, Mexico.

Gilberto

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,154 Posts
Here's some information on the movement that should help prevent damage due to improper handling:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Vulcain 120 Cricket

The movement is actually the MSR version. After Vulcain joined the M.S.R. (Manufactures Suisses Reunies) in ca. 1960 alongside Revue Thommen, Phenix and Buser, the movement was simply redesignated the Cal. MSR S2 (sometimes MSR S23) without any real changes. It has two spring barrels and if you leave the one for the alarm completely unwound, the hammer to activate the alarm will simply flop about, causing some noise. There is no way of running the alarm all the time since the mainspring for that runs out after ca. 20 seconds so you keep having to wind it. However, I believe that's not what you meant and the alternative answer is: you can run watch and alarm all the time, activating the alarm (multiple times) daily - as long as it's been serviced properly! Otherwise you risk damage.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
1) MSR S2, probably mid 60s
2) Constantly but....with care
3) Mine too, it's normal
4) Your movement needs a complete service

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you nice people.
The watch is in for service now.

Another query:

What kind of accuracy can I expect in +/- seconds per day?

Cheers and thanks again!

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Thank you nice people.
The watch is in for service now.

Another query:

What kind of accuracy can I expect in +/- seconds per day?

Cheers and thanks again!
Depends on how worn the parts are (although this can be sorted out), and how well regulated will it be during service. Generally, if it will be tuned to run at +10 (give or take 5) seconds per day, it will be a good result. Contemporary non-chronometer movements often have a factory-accepted tolerance of +/-20 spd, so I guess that anything within this range will be fine (preferably not close to any of the two extremes).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts