WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Vulcain for a laughable price from a vintage watch shop...I've always wondered how much it's really worth to collectors - so I did a search on ebay and found these two current auctions:

This is in pretty good shape, except for the strap...
Vintage Vulcain Jump Hour Automatic Watch | eBay

And this one that's a mess...
VINTAGE VULCAIN JUMP HOUR DIRECT READ AUTO WATCH 4U2FIX | eBay

Mine is in better shape then both of them and runs superb! Keeps fantastic time, I was shocked. I think both ebay listings are a bit ridiculous price-wise considering condition (BIN $650 & $599 respectively) - but I wanted to get a feel for what someone would offer for such a timepiece. I always wanted a jump hour, which is precisely why I snatched it up! Let me know what you think, sorry about the cell pics - I'll grab my canon if better shots are requested.

vul2.jpg

vul1.jpg

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
When checking values on Ebay, always check completed listings; "Buy it now" prices tend to be silly. Both the ones you listed are re-lists. The seller is fishing for someone who specifically wants these watches enough to pay the price (and the price reflects the fact that he knows he's going to have to relist it many times before he gets a bite). As such, it doesn't really reflect the true value; a dedicated or nostalgic collector can be expected to pay above grade, if you're patient enough. Nice thing about ebay is that the audience is wide enough that the odds are higher, so patience is rewarded.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I wonder if the plate is for engraving initials?

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Well that's a new one for me. Very interesting - there can't be many of those about. Well bought!|>

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,797 Posts
Very interesting indeed. But as noted above the buy it now values on Ebay don't mean anything. I've often seen the second seller trying to pass off watches at ten times their real value (and will accept a 50% offer without blinking an eye). Even if he does manage to sell it at that price, it doesn't mean that you'd find another buyer willing to do so.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Very interesting and unusual.
Would definitely be a keeper if in my collection.
My one concern is how well that strap will age over time.
So unique it would be nigh impossible to find a replacement if it started to tear, crack, etc.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've worn it one time and the blue suede started to react weird when I began to sweat (I was at an outside art festival in the sun) so I haven't worn it since. I have a leathersmith that says he can make a custom replacement that would be indistinguishable from the original. I'm considering it because I actually want to wear this piece anytime a retro themed event comes up. Still pretty accurate at +4 a day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a similar vulcain jump hour I'm hoping to get any info I can on. I apologize I dont mean to impose on your thread, figure its on the same topic and all information will be appreciated by everyone who happens to read it. My watch I have not been able to find any match to anywhere at least with Vulcain on the face, I did find no doubt the same watches only one labeled Technos and another Itraco. The only marking inside say "Twenty One Jewels TD Unadjusted Swiss." The TD being much larger. I'm going to attempt to upload a couple photos. Very unique piece you have there. Any information anyone can share on Vulcain, the movement, multiple others branded differently, what's TD? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Tenor-Dorly put out the same model. That's what the "TD" on the movement would refer to. The automatic movement is likely the TD cal. 1393. Their digital movements, both manual-wind and auto, were used in quite a number of brand watches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tenor-Dorly put out the same model. That's what the "TD" on the movement would refer to. The automatic movement is likely the TD cal. 1393. Their digital movements, both manual-wind and auto, were used in quite a number of brand watches.

Any value?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Any value?
Only whatever the watch you think is worth to you. If you read the stickies you'd discover valuations are not allowed in this forum. It's usually recommended that members seeking values should research for example ebay completed listings to get an idea about going prices.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts