WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first Vulcain was from Buenos Aires, branded by El Trust Joyero Relojero, an important Argentinian retail chain

A couple of advertising from the 20s

1925 - The building of the headquarters in Calle Corrientes

l’Avenida 9 de Julio in 1937

Here another Vulcain from South America

This has an interesting sandwich dial

And here's a nice stainless steel pocket watch

Finally the the so much sought after Cricket

Unpolished case

The caseback

Caliber 120

Two-tone dial

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Beautiful array, Luigi! I especially like the first, and its esoteric connection to the Argentinian retailer. It appears large; what is the size?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Very interesting – thanks! I have a very nice Eterna from a small retailer in Havana, but have only been able to find a fraction of the detail that you uncovered in the linked post.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Beautiful collection you have there.

It's funny how a lot of watches from that era look similar. I had a Longines that looked nearly identical to the one you say came from South America (2nd watch pictured). I've seen many other examples of brands from the era sporting the same sleek, simple design.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,901 Posts
The slots are to let the sound out. One of the secrets to the Cricket's noise level is the double case back, the inner closed one acting as a sound board and the outer with the slots acting as mere protection for the inner to prevent the wrist from stopping it resonate. Other such wrist alarms (hammer beating on pin to resonate the case back) such as the AS manual calibres, the Venus 230-232, the Pierce Duofon and the JLC Memovox calibres sound louder when you take them off the wrist.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just purchased a NOS Vulcain from eBay. I was looking for a small blue dial and it seemed OK. Had no idea the company was this old.

Sent from my LG-D858HK using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
The slots are to let the sound out. One of the secrets to the Cricket's noise level is the double case back, the inner closed one acting as a sound board and the outer with the slots acting as mere protection for the inner to prevent the wrist from stopping it resonate. Other such wrist alarms (hammer beating on pin to resonate the case back) such as the AS manual calibres, the Venus 230-232, the Pierce Duofon and the JLC Memovox calibres sound louder when you take them off the wrist.

Hartmut Richter
Thanks!

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts