WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently bought this lovely vintage Vulcain and would like to know if someone could help me with some information about it.

f3eaaebc.jpg

I know it has a Valjoux 7736 movement and it messures 37mm wide x 42mm long x 12mm high but thats about it.
Does anybody here know the modelname and do someone know the history around this particular model?

/Peter

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hi PeterA

Can't help you much beside saying that this watch looks very similar to a Hauer Autavia

Beautiful watch, congrats

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Reactions: PeterA

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks!
Yes it's 70s alright and thanks for the info about the movement!
I have never seen another one so it seems to be quite rare. Would be nice to know the name of the model.

/Peter

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's absolutely gorgeous your Vulcain Mark!
Thanks for sharing the pic.

Yes it seems to be quite high quality with high grade movement and very nice crafted case and dial.

/Peter

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Nice!! Let's see some more Vulcain pics in this thread :-!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Absolutely feel free to post more pics of your Vulcains :-! And don't forgett to try answering my questions above ;-)
f7023675.jpg

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Sorry mate, I wouldn't have the foggiest clue about the model that you have ;-)

I can share with you my experiences of trying to find out more about my vintage Vulcain

I emailed Vulcain with pics of mine to see if they could tell me anymore about it, they got back to me a month later and told me that their archive records are quite spotty (the brand was out of business from the late 70's until the early 00's). They said its genuine, dated it to about 1968, but couldn't give me a model number/name/reference. The movement fits with that era (17 jewel incabloc handwind with no quickset date)

I the absence of any actual name or reference, I dubbed it the Vulcain Bullseye

Heres the original bracelet that it came on

Nowadays, it's living on an Omega mesh bracelet

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Hi PeterA

Can't help you much beside saying that this watch looks very similar to a Hauer Autavia

Beautiful watch, congrats
A Heuer Autavia usually has the winding stem opposite the pushers (Calibre 11). The Autavia pre-dates this watch by about 10 years. But the dials are very similar.

All Vulcans are fairly rare as it was never a large volume brand. It is nice to find them in good condition, especially their chronographs. But the idea that watches need 'names' to differentiate individual models was not as widespread 40 years ago as it seems now.

Reactions: PeterA

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for all the answers everyone :-!

Mark your Vulcain is stunning! The Omega mesh fits it perfectly.
I have sent Vulcain a mail some week ago but no answer yet.

Eeeb you have of course right about that naming things wasn't that widespread back then.
I found a very similar Minerva here on the forum https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/60s-minerva-chronograph-300452.html
The modelname is 572W which is not very exotic maybe but it is something ;-)

Please post more pictures of your Vulcains

/Peter

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems that the Breitling Top Time also chares the same cushion case as my Vulcain and the Minerva
toptime.jpg
VJ7261.jpg
e1f1dedd.jpg

The case seems to be a generic one which several Swiss watchmakers used in the 70s
They differ in dials, hands, crown and movement but the look of the cases looks very similar and they have the same mesurements.

/Peter

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Hi Pete!

Any news from Vulcain yet?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sorry mate, I wouldn't have the foggiest clue about the model that you have ;-)

I can share with you my experiences of trying to find out more about my vintage Vulcain

I emailed Vulcain with pics of mine to see if they could tell me anymore about it, they got back to me a month later and told me that their archive records are quite spotty (the brand was out of business from the late 70's until the early 00's). They said its genuine, dated it to about 1968, but couldn't give me a model number/name/reference. The movement fits with that era (17 jewel incabloc handwind with no quickset date)

I the absence of any actual name or reference, I dubbed it the Vulcain Bullseye

Heres the original bracelet that it came on

Nowadays, it's living on an Omega mesh bracelet

Case looks similar to a Doxa...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts