WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which condition do you generally prefer your watches in?

• With Wabi

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Immaculate

Votes: 30 81.1%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WUS: I was talking to a gentleman, and we had something in common: We prefer our watches immaculate. We decided that we're perhaps outliers amongst WUS. We decided that the majority on WUS prefer their watches with wabi and/or patina (in general).

Thus, I've made a poll. If you generally prefer your watches with some wabi, there's an option. If you generally prefer your watches immaculate, there's an option.

Any discussion is welcome (eg do you like your dress watch with wabi, why or why not)

Reactions: Brey17

·
Registered
224 Posts
What is wabi? I have not heard of that term before. I do like patina and do not mind light scratches. For me those two things do give the watch character and make it mine

·
Registered
323 Posts
Immaculate, unless, of course, we are talking about bronze watches, in which case patina all the way.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is wabi? I have not heard of that term before. I do like patina and do not mind light scratches. For me those two things do give the watch character and make it mine
Some light scratches and patina. So yes, for the exact reason you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Immaculate, although I'm trying to get over that and allow imperfections.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
In traditional Japanese aesthetics, wabi-sabi (侘寂) is a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. (Wikipedia)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Both. Modern watches I like pristine.

Vintage watches, I do like some patina, but it has to be the right watch and the right amount of patina. Divers/sports watches definitely usually look better with some age. And natural aging, but not beat up, not damaged.

Some modern watches do look kinda cool with some patina, a nice faded bezel is cool, but not something I've done to any of my watches.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wabi for my daily wear piece. Most marks on my daily wear (Oris Aquis) tell a good story. A proper patina makes a watch like this look better with age in my opinion.

For my nicer or polished watches, I do keep those clean and scuff free by actually repolishing or removing scuffs. I won’t wear a nice watch in environments or situations that could affect the case permanently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Immaculate for me.

Reactions: kalburnfall

·
Registered
12,702 Posts
If my watch is doing the wabi, please don’t poor me any more saki.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I'll take immaculate. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the folks that would prefer their vintage watch with a little patina, scratches, or wear; as opposed to the same watch in pristine condition. What other product or collectable does that logic apply, certainly not cars, jewelry, art, clothes, houses. Whatever.

·
Registered
479 Posts
It depends on the watch. In general, I don't like shiny watches, so an unbrushed polished case needs to be roughed up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Both. Modern watches I like pristine.

Vintage watches, I do like some patina, but it has to be the right watch and the right amount of patina. Divers/sports watches definitely usually look better with some age. And natural aging, but not beat up, not damaged.

Some modern watches do look kinda cool with some patina, a nice faded bezel is cool, but not something I've done to any of my watches.
This is basically my approach. Modern watches definitely immaculate. Vintage watches do look very cool with patina and natural looking wear on them and I appreciate that look, but if I were to personally own one, it would ideally have no wear at all, and a medium or light patina on the lume and possibly bezel, depending on what the watch was.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think the watch makes a difference for me. On old Seikos, I live the wabi. Their lime turns this great color. Other pieces, like a nivada Datomaster, I prefer immaculate.

So, I guess it just depends for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
I have a preference for character, even with modern pieces. I do have a couple of dress watches and I find I don’t want the head scratched, but don’t mind character on the strap.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Why buy a polished watch in the first place then?
Sometimes it's not clear from photos how the brushing on a case looks in real lighting.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 43 Posts