WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DISCLAIMER:

The author of this post is not seriously recommending you place your life in the hands of a 30m WR watch when diving.
Added pictures for extra clarity:

This is good and will help you stay alive underwater:

This looks terrific, but will not help you stay alive underwater. If you really want to wear one of these while diving, the author of this post recommends you also take one of the suunto pictured above with you:

Here you can find part I
https://www.watchuseek.com/f74/can-i-dive-30m-wr-watch-empirical-experience-1847322.html
And Part II

https://www.watchuseek.com/f74/can-i-dive-30m-wr-watch-empirical-experience-1847322-10.html#post20316506
of my "Diving with a 30m WR watch" tests in case you missed them.

Onto Part III...

In the previous two iterations of my "test" I had brought a mighty $10 Casio to 30m, and subsequently a $45 Seiko to 10m, for a couple dives.

"Well, that's too easy Seppia, that's just a couple dives, you got lucky" is the typical comment of the 8000m-WR-minimum-for-the-hot-tub crowd (also known as The Church Of Dynamic Pressure).

In order to continue my mission of ridiculing these people, I took my SNK805, a 30m WR, sub $50 Seiko with a wobbly crown, plasticky display back and overall feeling of fragility (the same I tested last time) on my last trip to Turks and Caicos.

I staid in the smallest of the islands (Salt Cay) for a little less than a week, and I got my rescue diver certification.

In total, I did 9 dives (we had to abort one day because of weather complications), plus all the in-water exercises, and I was wearing the watch non-stop.

As an added F-U cherry on the cake, I rinsed the watch every day putting it directly under the shower, with the crown facing the shower spray (do you say spray in English?).

I have pictures from every single dive, but for post length reasons I've decided to only keep the most meaningful ones.

How did the watch perform then?

Well...

Ok for almost 30m

Again ok for almost 30m

Some pictures of marine life (sorry my skills are very limited)

The tiny thing you see in the middle is an eagle Ray (trust me)

Regular stingray

Spotted moray eel

Strange fish I find kinda funny and always makes me laugh underwater

Beautiful coral head

Drumfish

School of fish

That red thing is a crab

A family of dolphins (LOVED that)

The gran finale:

Black coral...

Wait, this seems kinda dark, let me look up

Well, it is dark, I wonder how deep we are

Oh.
40m?
I thought you needed a bathyscaphe to come that deep.

Seiko's response to the church of dynamic pressure:

Bonus: salt cay pictures (that place is beautiful and wild, strongly recommended)

Sunrise:

Turns out my real diver could just chill in the sun:

I will continue to keep testing in my future dive trips, and I will build an excel file with dates / depths / number of dives for each watch in the coming weeks.
My move back to Europe could impact the frequency of my travel, but I intend to keep this going for a long while, hopefully it will beat some sense into the "never in the pool unless it's screw down 200m WR" crowd
:cheers:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Fantastic!!! Thank You for putting this to the test. I read a review the other day for a watch rated at 100m that said it was ok for "light splashing" like it'd be ok to leave it on while you wash your hands, lol.

Also, great pics!

Reactions: Seppia

·
Registered
657 Posts
Some observations... First of all, at 40 meters shouldn't your computer have put you into deco? But I'm making the gross assumption that you were staying within recreational limits. Second, props to the Seiko, but it didn't have a bezel for elapsed time, so why would anyone even dive with it? Third, bugger the watch, I just want to dive Salt Cay...dolphins! How awesome. And lastly, sorry to hear you're moving back to Europe, but can I come stay at your place?

Reactions: DVC and Seppia

·
Registered
624 Posts
Nice pics !
I just booked a trip to Raja Ampat, been wanting to dive there for years.
The 'funny fish' is a boxfish.

I have the Seiko model you tested (more like $100-120 in Asia). Great that it can retain watertightness to 40m, but I wonder how long that would last if you were diving every weekend. All my cheap WR 100m "dive" watches in the 90's and early 00's, mostly Citizen, lasted about 100 dives then flooded inexplicably.

All the same, thanks for showing you don't need a $2000 watch to keep track underwater!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Ahh, before you hop on the ridicule train, how about you strap on a luxury watch for part 4? Take a Speedmaster diving - it's 50 m. I don't think anyone will think you're crazy taking an $80 watch diving. 4000 hard earned dollars... You might feel different. But you sound pretty confident. ;)

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Great pics though, by the way, gotta try diving...

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some observations... First of all, at 40 meters shouldn't your computer have put you into deco? But I'm making the gross assumption that you were staying within recreational limits. Second, props to the Seiko, but it didn't have a bezel for elapsed time, so why would anyone even dive with it? Third, bugger the watch, I just want to dive Salt Cay...dolphins! How awesome. And lastly, sorry to hear you're moving back to Europe, but can I come stay at your place?
Yes I was staying within recreational limits, if you look at the 39.9m picture I have only 6 minutes of dive time and 2 minutes of bottom time left.
What we did was plunge deep and work our way up to stay within no deco table.

I only brought the seiko for test purposes, we were 2 guys with both our dive computers + one backup one, so three total.

Ahh, before you hop on the ridicule train, how about you strap on a luxury watch for part 4? Take a Speedmaster diving - it's 50 m. I don't think anyone will think you're crazy taking an $80 watch diving. 4000 hard earned dollars... You might feel different. But you sound pretty confident. ;)
I am not rich enough to do the same test with super premium watches.
The whole point of my "tests" is not to prove that you can dive with a swatch (although I'm pretty positive it could survive a few dives), but to have fun of the very large crowd of people, mostly desk divers that rarely see a swimming pool, that try convince everybody that 100m WR are not enough to wash your hands with.

I'm basically trying to prove one extreme wrong by going to the other extreme.
Some good old fashioned fun :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Frankly WR ratings are an embarrassment to the watch community. Don't put 30m on a watch if you can't swim with it. Instead, put WR 0. I don't give a crap what the 30m "really" means. What matters is what the buying public expects it to mean. I've yet to meet one single person that isn't shocked that 30m really means "don't get it wet". It's ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The whole point I'm trying to prove is that 30m WR probably means "30m WR, or maybe even a bit better"
At least that has been the case every single time I tried.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ah, but Seppia, what about the stress of all that extra task loading? You have to spend all your time watching the watch to see if it floods...think of all the sea life you could miss.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah, but Seppia, what about the stress of all that extra task loading? You have to spend all your time watching the watch to see if it floods...think of all the sea life you could miss.
Since I'm a pussy, I always dive in the warm, calm waters of the Caribbean, so no huge stress :)
Also, since I'm submerging a $45 watch, I'm not overly concerned if it floods.
The primary reason for me missing marine life is the fact that I often get lost in my thoughts while underwater: since I was a kid I always felt a lot more comfortable in the water than on land and scuba diving or swimming are the two best ways I have to relax.
To give you an idea how bad this can be, I noticed the Dolphins when they were basically ten feet away from me. Sure they were coming from behind me, but their singing is unmistakable.

Just more proof that Seiko 5 > Grand Seiko
Exactly the point I was trying to make!
Hum no.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I remember my first open water dive in Aruba...we dropped down to 30 m and I held my breath for a little bit just to hear the sea life. I bet dolphins singing is a lot cooler than shrimp chirping.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I am not rich enough to do the same test with super premium watches.
The whole point of my "tests" is not to prove that you can dive with a swatch (although I'm pretty positive it could survive a few dives), but to have fun of the very large crowd of people, mostly desk divers that rarely see a swimming pool, that try convince everybody that 100m WR are not enough to wash your hands with.

I'm basically trying to prove one extreme wrong by going to the other extreme.
Some good old fashioned fun :)
I assumed as much, and I've been enjoying these threads. My comment was in the same light. :) Cheers!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Greatly enjoyed the read and the dolphins !! I suggest a mechanical chrono for part IV (without manipulating pushers underwater ofc)... Something like the Seiko 6139 or Poljot 3133. We should finance your scientific experiments lol

1 - 20 of 44 Posts