WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start I realise I'm slow off the mark with this.

I, like what appears to be half the population, have fallen for the new SS Daytona with ceramic bezel, with white face being my preference. After spending numerous weeks reading and comparing the Daytona to the watch I had previously been saving for (SD4000), I feel the Daytona is the one for me. I just can't get it out of my mind!

Today I called 4 ADs within a 2 hour drive of where I live. 3 said their waiting list is full and therefore refused to add my details. 1 of these estimated their waiting list to last for 10 years! The other 2 said 5 years, with 3 years for the black dial. The final one said their waiting list is in the order of years not months but said they wouldn't estimate how many years. Though they were happy to take my details for their waiting list.

How does this compare to what others have experienced?
Are ADs waiting lists normally accurate, optimistic or pessimistic?
Finally, given the likely wait, would you recommend buying a used SD4000 or Explorer 2 (white) to tie me over until this magical day comes around or wait so that the first Rolex I buy is the one I desire the most?

Thanks for your time, Gents.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I'd buy an SD in your situation. Then continue saving up until the Daytona day comes. Seems like there is a lot of speculation as to the perceived vs actual scarcity of the new model. Either way, you'll likely be waiting or paying quite a bit extra to get it.

Sent from my  iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies gents.

I'd buy an SD in your situation. Then continue saving up until the Daytona day comes. Seems like there is a lot of speculation as to the perceived vs actual scarcity of the new model. Either way, you'll likely be waiting or paying quite a bit extra to get it.
One of the ADs I spoke with (with the full waiting list) said they were told yesterday that their supply will be very scarce.
Another AD said that yesterday was the first time he saw a model of the watch, never mind the watch itself!

·
Registered
559 Posts
A few years ago I remeber being at St Lucia airport and asking at the Rolex shop there if they had a SS Dayonta and there reply was we have one in the safe, however if you want to buy it you need to spend about £10k+ as well on another Rolex !!!!!

The new Daytona will sell for for double its price.......

·
Registered
41,222 Posts
Saw two in the case, Black and White, in a watch store in Cairns, AU. in Oct. 2012, it was a shock.
A few years ago I remeber being at St Lucia airport and asking at the Rolex shop there if they had a SS Dayonta and there reply was we have one in the safe, however if you want to buy it you need to spend about £10k+ as well on another Rolex !!!!!

The new Daytona will sell for for double its price.......

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have never seen a new SS Daytona in stock in any ADs I have been to in the last 3 years. Closest thing was a used one in a shop I visited in Portland two years ago. Anyone know if it's the same in HK? I may be going there in the next couple of months.

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
39,204 Posts
I bought two out of the showcase, the first had languished there over a month.

I was at a middle tier dealer (one store in a city of 800K and another in a city of 240K) yesterday who's had one come in (black) and has a list that is "pretty long". The Manager said the first 20 people had already paid in full. They didn't say how far out the list went but it sounds like they get about a half-dozen Daytona's a year. Interestingly, they have a list for the BLNR still.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Called last week. I'm number 9 with my AD for the panda. They said they expect to get only one for sure this year. Is it always this way with new rolex models or is this unique?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Called last week. I'm number 9 with my AD for the panda. They said they expect to get only one for sure this year. Is it always this way with new rolex models or is this unique?
Just for a joke I might try to buy one in a central London chain store the next time I'm there, somewhere near Bond St. I'm guessing a 12-year waiting list, followed by a the staff laughing, then their exclusively foreign customers joining in with the hilarity, then being thrown out of the store via the window by security and then being charged for fixing the broken window.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm first on the list for a small AD. They are still waiting on their first one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think with this Daytona, we are going to see waiting lists that are longer than ever. The demand is crazy from what ADs are saying. I know for a fact that Rolex has told more than one high volume AD to expect no more than 1-2 a year for the first few years. This may very well be an unprecedented level of demand for any Rolex model.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Many of the 'trusted' sellers that are around are able to get them and also don't seem to have any problem with gouging on the price either.

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
I think with this Daytona, we are going to see waiting lists that are longer than ever. The demand is crazy from what ADs are saying. I know for a fact that Rolex has told more than one high volume AD to expect no more than 1-2 a year for the first few years. This may very well be an unprecedented level of demand for any Rolex model.
I'd take what the ADs say with a grain of salt. Over on TRF, the new Daytonas seem to be coming in at a pretty good pace and far sooner than many had expected. I was initially told that they would start arriving in late summer/early fall, but they started showing up at the end of May. Three out of the four ADs I spoke with already received a white and black Daytona. None for me of course.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd take what the ADs say with a grain of salt. Over on TRF, the new Daytonas seem to be coming in at a pretty good pace and far sooner than many had expected. I was initially told that they would start arriving in late summer/early fall, but they started showing up at the end of May. Three out of the four ADs I spoke with already received a white and black Daytona. None for me of course.
Well, considering my AD is a close family friend that my wife and I spend time with on vacation each year, and I got all the info he was given at a regional Rolex seminar for all the top ADs in the area, I'll put just a bit more faith in it than that.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts