WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_3412.jpg IMG_3415.jpg I found this while cleaning up my parents house. I am trying to figure out how my dad would have come about this watch. I am interested in what the engraving in the inside cover would be?

Steve

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It's a watchmaker tag which is done at the time of service.

WDM was probably the watchmaker's initials and 4/77 means it was serviced in April 1977. Not sure what the 16649 might refer to though.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Thanks for the answers... any idea of the year of this watch? It has a Valjoux 730 movement.
Ranfft has it listed as entering production in 1974 although the Valjoux 72 pictured is said to date to around 1970.

You can check out the fact page here. Judging from the chunky style, it's probably a safe bet to say mid 70s.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My now retired watchmaker used to scribe his initials; repair ticket number and date on the back cover of his repairs. He once mentioned to me that if the watch was ever returned he could look at the repair ticket to determine exactly what he had done; replacement parts etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I am debating getting this watch repaired. Because it did belong to my Dad, I would like to hand it down one to my daughter one day. I have yet to find someone that is recommended but willing to take on new work for the repairs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Two more questions:

Does anyone know what the approximate purchase price of the watch would have been in the 70's?

Is there a complete instruction booklet available online? I have seen scans of one page.

Steve

·
Registered
147 Posts
They are very nice watches and despite the climbing prices the past couple years (particularly for the black white version), it is currently still one of the best valued models in the vintage market for a valjoux 72 based movement (as mentioned its is a Valjoux 730). Quick pic of a recent arrival in black / white scheme...

wakmann.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts