WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Waltham 18 movement. It's S/N is in the 5 million range which I believe makes it 125 years old.

it seems to be in good shape, except it is missing the balance cock, balance, hair spring, balance staff etc.

I imagine these parts will be somewhat expensive to purchase. I. Could try making these parts, but I can't seem to find drawings. It would be good watchmaking practice though

It just seems that at 125 years old this movement should be given new life instead of a live oon a shelf doing nothing.

Thoughts/ suggestions for a new guy?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have a Waltham 18 movement. It's S/N is in the 5 million range which I believe makes it 125 years old.

it seems to be in good shape, except it is missing the balance cock, balance, hair spring, balance staff etc.

I imagine these parts will be somewhat expensive to purchase. I. Could try making these parts, but I can't seem to find drawings. It would be good watchmaking practice though

It just seems that at 125 years old this movement should be given new life instead of a live oon a shelf doing nothing.

Thoughts/ suggestions for a new guy?
I'm with pithy, in wanting to know the exact serial number. But while we're waiting, I'll share my general thoughts. The balance cocks on those movements may or may not be interchangeable, and although the shape of the balance hole jewels will tolerate some slight misalignment, other issues can arise from such misalignment. Worst case, you could center the mainplate on the lower balance jewel setting hole on a suitable small lathe or jig borer, install the replacement balance cock, then carefully bore the stepped setting hole in the balance cock to a larger diameter that would be concentric with the lower setting. You would then need to turn larger diameter settings for the upper jewels. Any misalignment would likely be slight enough so that you could get away with only opening up the lower, smaller step for the hole jewel, and then leave the the larger step for the cap jewel setting alone. From there, it would be a matter of finding the other replacement parts, which should be possible with some perseverance.

Depending on which model of movement yours turns out to be, I may have some parts that will help you out. I have a few 18s parts movements. If I don't have what you need, I can give you a good lead on finding the parts.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm with pithy, in wanting to know the exact serial number. But while we're waiting, I'll share my general thoughts. The balance cocks on those movements may or may not be interchangeable, and although the shape of the balance hole jewels will tolerate some slight misalignment, other issues can arise from such misalignment. Worst case, you could center the mainplate on the lower balance jewel setting hole on a suitable small lathe or jig borer, install the replacement balance cock, then carefully bore the stepped setting hole in the balance cock to a larger diameter that would be concentric with the lower setting. You would then need to turn larger diameter settings for the upper jewels. Any misalignment would likely be slight enough so that you could get away with only opening up the lower, smaller step for the hole jewel, and then leave the the larger step for the cap jewel setting alone. From there, it would be a matter of finding the other replacement parts, which should be possible with some perseverance.

Depending on which model of movement yours turns out to be, I may have some parts that will help you out. I have a few 18s parts movements. If I don't have what you need, I can give you a good lead on finding the parts.
Awesome. Thanks. I will get that S/N tonight.

·
Registered
333 Posts
OK. It looks like the serial number is 5139656.

Here are some photos. https://goo.gl/photos/i1cfQ12tRwDGX4d16

-Pete
Great! Well, the good news is that I have most of a model 1883 donor movement left over from another project. Unfortunately, mine is in a nickel finish. I'll PM you with further details, but I have a few other parts that may help you out, depending on what you're able to find for a replacement balance cock. But I would also like to suggest that perhaps you hang onto this movement you have for a parts movement and keep your eyes peeled for a higher grade variant of that model. The sort of work we're talking about here is an awful lot to dump into a movement like this one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, mars-red. It sounds like I should make a decision on how much work I want to put into this movement vs save it as a donor.

TheRe is no case, and the movement does not hold sentimental value.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts