WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lusting after one of these for awhile now and finally snagged one, at a far reduced price because it isn't running. It winds and adjusts just fine, and looks like it may just need a cleaning.

So I took it into a watch place and was told they were going to charge $350-400 :-s :-s ??

I guess it is complicated, it being a 2 register chrono with dials for hour/minute and a date wheel. But $350-400 for a cleaning? Does that seem reasonable?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Probably not too far off typical for an automatic chrono. My watchmaker is on the low side at $225 for an automatic chronograph. Shop it around and see whether you can do better. I'd see if there was a watchmaker up in Longmont or down in Denver. Boulder never struck me as a particularly low cost place to get stuff done when I lived there.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
That watch is cool. Didn't know they made such a thing. :-!

I pay around 3 times the cost of servicing a basic manual to have a Chrono serviced. So, your amount is not terribly out of line.

Indeed, it is so expensive to service a chrono that I won't buy any more until I learn to service them myself. I got quite a shock when I took them in.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Seems reasonable for the level of complication. Just the number of parts alone on one of these!

And while I don't tend to be interested in Waltham past the "Waltham of Chicaco" era, this watch truly piques my interest! If you get it cleaned, ask them for movement photos! I'd love to see the under-dial workings.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,164 Posts
What a whacky watch!!! Movement is the TDB-K (Tenor Dorley Brac - Kelek) Cal. 1376, the digital version of the Cal. 1369:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: TDB 1376 (TD 1393)

Despite looking integrated, this was actually a modular chronograph with the chrono mechanism squeezed in under the (raised) rotor. It has sort of a "flat column wheel" (this being flat and star shaped) and was the smallest automatic chronograph when introduced in the early seventies. I always wanted one with Cal. 1369 and its zany subdial arrangement.....

Hartmut Richter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts