WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is guy was basically selling this "Waltham Swiss Made Stainless Steel Manual Vintage Swiss Made 1960s Watch MA97"
The price was at 699,00 $US, and I made an offer: 65,00 $US (94,99 $US with shipping)
He accepted.:think: He seems trustworthy, but I don't know. The movement has obviously been cleaned, supposed to be authentic even if I think the dial/hands might have been changed.
What do you think, am I paying too much?
$_57.JPG

$_57 (1).JPG

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Most likely it's a franken, since the number of jewels on dial and movement don't match. And these Swiss Waltham's aren't really desirable in any case. Is $100 too much? Not necessarily, since it's a clean, functional watch with a decent Swiss movement and a SS case. But don't think about it as collectible - it's just something to wear. Also, I'm skeptical that the seller would have accepted such a lowball offer if the watch had really been serviced.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, exactly xD Since I knew 699,00 $US was too high so I basically used this formula : 69[strike]9,00[/strike] = 69 - 4 = 65 + 0,00 = 65,00 $US

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That he jumped on a 90% markdown says he knows what it is really worth.
Well, I got some news.
He sent me this message:
"Hello
Something went wrong. I was under the impression yuor
bid was 650.00. My intention is to cancel this transaction.
Mike"

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
There is something fishy here, perhaps with the intention to lead people to believe that these kind of watches have a certain market value. 'Oh, I recently saw one at eBay sold for...!'

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Don't know who the seller is, as you haven't identified them, but the style (sic) of the photograph looks very reminiscent of a guy who lists tons of Seikos at super-high prices on eBay. Don't know if he ever sells anything to anyone other than himself; I hope not. He typically lists stuff like Seiko vintage Champions for around USD 700; insane. Like this offering.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
There is something fishy here, perhaps with the intention to lead people to believe that these kind of watches have a certain market value. 'Oh, I recently saw one at eBay sold for...!'
I think it's more a case of dressing up a decent, under-valued 60's movement with a flashy well buffed case and NOS dial so as to compare favorably with something "new". Their target isn't knowledgeable vintage collectors who know that a decent 60's Waltham can be had for well under a hundred. It's vi-curious millennials who know that a new decent Rolex or Omega costs several thousand.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
Well, I got some news.
He sent me this message:
"Hello
Something went wrong. I was under the impression yuor
bid was 650.00. My intention is to cancel this transaction.
Mike"
Something went wrong???? He thought there was a live fish on the hook. Lol!! You can buy new Hamilton and Bulova mechanical watches for less than that.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
I tend to think that:

(1) the seller is delusional about the value of this watch, and
(2) he made an honest mistake in accepting your offer.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
It's a pig with lipstick on.

I think it's more a case of dressing up a decent, under-valued 60's movement with a flashy well buffed case and NOS dial so as to compare favorably with something "new". Their target isn't knowledgeable vintage collectors who know that a decent 60's Waltham can be had for well under a hundred. It's vi-curious millennials who know that a new decent Rolex or Omega costs several thousand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts