WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago I briefly lived in Waltham, Massachusetts. Lately, I have been reading about the history of the Waltham Watch Co. and its significance to the industrial revolution in America. I know I have seen several Waltham pocket watches around WUS, and one or two wrist watches.

So, come on, Vintage or brand spankin' new, Pocket or wrist, Let's see those beautiful Walthams!

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Like to see more wristwatches. This is a very large case 39mm (for the time) automatic Waltham with the crown at the 4 o'clock position.
Probably 60s vintage, but have never seen another like it.

·
11,615 Posts
I have 2 self winders, one is a 6 or 7 jewel and the other is a 17 jewel. Also I have a Ladies pendant watch about 1918.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Vintage Waltham.jpg

Better late than never...I just got these last week. I have been polishing the acrylic glass, and case for a few days. What caught my eye was the red/red tip on both the second hands.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Several years ago I briefly lived in Waltham, Massachusetts. Lately, I have been reading about the history of the Waltham Watch Co. and its significance to the industrial revolution in America. I know I have seen several Waltham pocket watches around WUS, and one or two wrist watches.

So, come on, Vintage or brand spankin' new, Pocket or wrist, Let's see those beautiful Walthams!
Here I have a watch that I would like to find more about. I found a few things due to the serial number. What I really would like to know is what these jewelers marks identify.
I cant get a picture of the marks as I can only red them with 60X. I guess I can read them with the 30x but it is still difficult at the power.

Here are a couple pictures of the Waltham wrist watch I have come in to.
IMAG1206.jpg IMAG1204.jpg

I know that the case, crown, minute & hour hands and the balance are all 14 k gold.
I know that this watch was made in 1946
I know all the specifics about the watch like it is 21 jewels etc.

Now what I don't know is what these very small jewelers marks are.
Reads as follows:

First there is a symbol. It is the letter D wit a U in it then an R991 V
Then on the other side it says 8/69. I assume this is the watch is #8 of 69 made.
Then below that is says F3933E.
The last clue I have is I purchased this item from the great grandson of Herbert Lee Wilson.
Now a little detail about Herbert Wilson.
Herbert Lee Wilson lived in Vermont in a castle purchased from Dr. Johnson in 1939. He was a pioneer in the AM radio field and built radio stations all over the world. He was looking for a new location to build another station and a summer home for his family. He bought the castle & installed radio station WEWE in the old stable, which remains in operation currently. When America joined WWII in 1941, Herbert Wilson joined the Army Signal Corps, from which he retired in the 1950’s as rank of Colonel. He retired to the castle and in 1962 opened it for tours. He died in 1981 at the age of 82

Lastly the band is just aftermarket. Nothing special just plated gold and vintage.

Any help would be appreciated. I am not sure if this watch was owned by Herbert Wilson or not but all the signs point to his ownership.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Crescent Street Pocket Watch

I have one Waltham and it's the 21j 16s Crescent Street model. My particular one is circa 1925 and is housed in an Elgin Watch Case Company (not to be confused with the Elgin Watch Company) swing out movement type Elgin Giant gold filled case. It was a railroad approved watch and is fitted with what was called a blind man's dial referring to the large and easy to see numbers and markers. It is also a lever set watch. It's pretty much the jewel of my modest collection and cost me $175 in an eBay Buy It Now listing. I keep it hanging in a glass display dome most of the time.

crescent3.jpg Crescent4.jpg

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts
Re: Crescent Street Pocket Watch

I'm a big-time Waltham collector, and it's the major focus of my collection.

This is a really awful photo, but this is(I think) a fairly scarce one that I just grabbed at an NAWCC regional today. It's the first example I've seen of this particular model and grade with a gilt damaskeen pattern.

And, a 21j 1892 model Vanguard, just for some eye candy.

Reactions: leicamaster

·
Registered
959 Posts

Oh man these are some real beauties. I need to get myself a pocket watch. I am so clueless about them though!

·
Registered
337 Posts

Here is my great great grandfather's pocket watch. It's in great condition, and I can't wait until my dad relenquishes it to me :)

small waltham 3.JPG

small waltham 2.JPG

small waltham.JPG

·
2,429 Posts

Here's a special one I picked up recently. An 1860 model Waltham movement, c.1868, all original in it scarce and near-unused 18K gold case. I managed to create a lot of "buzz" yesterday when I pulled this one out, and had more than one person throw large piles of cash at me trying to buy it.

·
2,429 Posts

20 size 1862 model 15 jewel Appleton, Tracy & Co grade. This one dates to about 1865, and has the desirable Stratton's Patent mainspring barrel with maintaining power and exposed Geneva stopworks. This one is all original in a plain-polished coin silver case with beautiful original patina :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts