WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speedmaster professional has always been one of my "to-own" watch (for the last 10 years) because of the dial. I've never gotten around buying it because of the following concerns. I'm told that I should NOT get a Tudor BB for my birthday because that'll be "yet another diver" in my collection.

These are my concerns (and internal justifications). Please let me know if any of them will be a big deal in the long run:
  1. That big display case is a huge clutter. (It can be discarded or kept out of sight in the store room)
  2. Hesalite scratches (Something to agonise over at the AD and have them confirm its replacement cost with Omega)
  3. I might hate manual winding every morning. (Every Speedy owner seem to like this chore)
  4. Biggest worry: weather is humid all year and is normal for me to perspire under my watches; so I will wash my watches under the sink every now and then. (The sink is not 50m deep but I will need Omega to check its water resistance every year?)

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
I love hesalite nothing else looks the same...buy PolyWatch, when I wear my speedy I enjoy winding it..its part of the process and the beauty of owning a manual wind. Mine gets wet and washed all the time...just make sure you keep up with servicing and WR (or take it off). I've fallen in the pool no issues. Put the display case anywhere you want! Heck sell it if you don't want it!

·
Registered
414 Posts
1 - store the box for the next 20 years or you can resell with all the goodies inside for at least 500 euro/dollars
2 - yes but not as hard you imagine and there is always polywatch, will look like new
Replacement is about 100 euro/dollars
3 - you’ll be fine :)
4-You worry to much

post photos after you get it :)))

·
Premium Member
21,718 Posts
Speedmaster professional has always been one of my "to-own" watch (for the last 10 years) because of the dial. I've never gotten around buying it because of the following concerns. I'm told that I should NOT get a Tudor BB for my birthday because that'll be "yet another diver" in my collection.

These are my concerns (and internal justifications). Please let me know if any of them will be a big deal in the long run:
  1. That big display case is a huge clutter. (It can be discarded or kept out of sight in the store room)
  2. Hesalite scratches (Something to agonise over at the AD and have them confirm its replacement cost with Omega)
  3. I might hate manual winding every morning. (Every Speedy owner seem to like this chore)
  4. Biggest worry: weather is humid all year and is normal for me to perspire under my watches; so I will wash my watches under the sink every now and then. (The sink is not 50m deep but I will need Omega to check its water resistance every year?)
Assuming that you already have a few diver style watches, yes, buying a Tudor Black Bay is yet another diver in your collection. I will say to go buy a Speedmaster. I went through the same thought process and finally decided that I should have one of the most iconic watches in watch history, i.e. the Speedmaster Professional.

#1 - yes, that display case is massive and if you live in a small apartment, that can be a major problem as there is no where to put that bloody box.

#2 - yes, hesalite scratches easily if you aren't careful. However, I have had my watch for over a year now and I wear it now and then. Have not picked up a scratch on it all, because I was sensible and had not abused it. I doubt you intend to abuse the watch, so this is a non-issue. If ever needed, a simple polywatch polish over will work well. Don't worry, it is not so thin that ou are going to polish through the surface of the hesalite.

#3 - yes, manually winding it can be a chore but I see it a way to say "hello" to all my watches and I give them the loving looks before I go to work.

#4 - while the watch is 50m WR, the humidity in Singapore and the torrential rain is terrible. I don't think it will be a problem if you do an annual WR test just to be sure.

·
Registered
113 Posts
never a huge clutter, i just sit there and admire
Poly watch will fix this issue
this should be the least of yoru worries! Buy the damn watch and enjoy it
Biggest worry: weather is humid all year and is normal for me to perspire under my watches; so I will wash my watches under the sink every now and then. (The sink is not 50m deep but I will need Omega to check its water resistance every year?)
i think an annual WR test at a local watchsmith suffice doesnt have to be Omega

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
The Speedy Pro is a nice watch. Very good looking and very easy to read at a glance.

I came across the same problem with that huge box. Had I kept the watch, I was going to throw out the clamshell top box and only keep the suitcase part. i had no place to permanently store the stupid thing.

Before you buy the watch, test to see if you have an easy time winding the watch. I love manual wind watches and wind a couple of pocket watches up each morning before i go to get ready for the day.

However the crown guards on the watch plus my fat fingers made winding it a pain in the back end. In the end I sadly sold it and moved on.

The 50m water resistance is fine when for daily life. I don't know where this "it must be at least 100m before it can be worn outside) thing came from. I wear a 50m Timex Expedition a lot of times. I use it as my junk yard visit watch(Cant reach into an engine with a G-Shock on as it is too big), I worn it a lot of times in the rain and i live in an area where summers are high humidity and sweat comes pouring out from everywhere. I have never any water intrusion issues. The only thing I have to deal with is a stinky nylon strap (which I throw into a sock and put the sock in the washer and it smells good again)

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Looks like im going against the grain here. I wouldnt get one. Youve already voiced concerns and by the sounds of it you really want a BB. Youre buying a watch that you think you should have, not what you want. If you want another dive watch, go and get one. There are no rules that say youre only allowed one "type" of watch. Ive bought many watches over the years on the basis it would slot nicely into the collection ie this watch has characteristics that none of my other watches have so its going to go well in a rotation. A few months later I realise its not getting any wrist wear or im quickly swapping it out of the rotation in favour of one of my older watches. In response to my ramblings about buying another dive/sport watch, even my AD said "if you like it you like it, youre clearly a dive watch person" so I think I can now stop the wandering thought process that leads me towards buying a watch that im not going to enjoy. You can still buy dive watches that look different to whatever else you have in your collection.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Either you want a Speedy or you don't. Quite frankly, based on your questions you're looking for a reason not to buy one.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have worn the Speedmaster for a long time as a "daily watch"

That big display case is a huge clutter. (It can be discarded or kept out of sight in the store room
I found a suitable place to display it (in our study) which looks kind of cool. Perhaps, instead of having it stuffed away and taking up space, you could do something similar. It is nice enough in my opinion.

Hesalite scratches (Something to agonise over at the AD and have them confirm its replacement cost with Omega)
Hesalite does indeed scratch. The hairline scratches it routinely picks up are only visible under very specific light. Other than that you get to enjoy a nicer look (in my opinion) than sapphire can give you. For every day use I never found it to be an issue. Used Polywatch perhaps once a year.

I might hate manual winding every morning. (Every Speedy owner seem to like this chore)
The interaction with the watch can be nice, but I can totally understand it when people prefer an automatic movement. After years of winding my watches nearly each morning, I have to be honest and say it is kind of nice to have a daily watch with an automatic movement and a long power reserve. But I never minded it. This is something everyone has to decide for themselves.

Biggest worry: weather is humid all year and is normal for me to perspire under my watches; so I will wash my watches under the sink every now and then. (The sink is not 50m deep but I will need Omega to check its water resistance every year?)
I was never particularly careful and this was never an issue. I have worn the Speedmaster in rainstorms that soaked me to my underwear and it was never an issue. That said, every Speedmaster I have ever worn has had a service within or was no older than 5-6 years. I am not sure how confident I would be if it had not been pressure tested for longer than that.

Finally, just get what you like. There is nothing wrong with having more dive-watches if you are a divewatch guy, having only chronographs if you are a chronograph guy and so forth. I really think it is a decision best made based on how it feels. You don't need a watch at all. If we are being strictly rational you may decide to go with a smartwatch instead. But there is something intangible that draws you to a watch. If that is a dive-watch so be it.

I recently switched to a divewatch as an everyday watch. I did not do so before thinking it was too sporty and a dress watch was really more suitable for my day to day life. In the end that was all nonsense, I just bought a dive-watch with a more classic look that fits my style and I could not be happier. No more waiting for the weekend to get my divewatch fix. I enjoy robust divewatches both in style and features. And talking myself out of wearing one as an every day watch only served to reduce my enjoyment. There is a tendency, especially among watch enthusiasts to have all these rational criteria "a balanced collection", "no bigger or smaller than X millimeter" and a large number of other considerations. I have come to realize that when it comes to watches gut-feel trumps everything and I can safely throw all my careful deliberation out the window. In fact, I am better of by doing so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Either you want a Speedy or you don't. Quite frankly, based on your questions you're looking for a reason not to buy one.
Yes. I think that might be what’s going on.

Finding a shelf or closet to store a case the size of a boot box isn’t a huge problem for most.

If you’re worried about Hesalite, just get the sapphire version.

Winding my watch before I put it on takes 30 seconds max.

I haven’t bathed while wearing my Speedmaster, but if you’re concerned about waterproofing, it means you won’t be at ease wearing anything but a diver. So wear a diver.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would forget these concerns, purchase a Speedmaster Professional, and begin enjoying it. It's a very robust watch, and it's a joy to wind and wear each day. I think you'll love it.

Two bits of advice: 1) if possible, test-wind the actual watch you're going to purchase because some of them have too much resistance in the crown when winding, while others have crowns that twist very easily, and you'll want one with the latter, and 2) purchase a tube of Polywatch and use it twice per year on your Speedmaster's crystal, and it'll look deliciously glossy and lustrous all of the time (y)

·
Registered
477 Posts
None of those things you mentioned are real issues. The only thing you might get annoyed by is winding everyday. Didn’t bother me, but it does bother some. Classic watch and you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the great responses! I really appreciate all your feedback!

I re-read it a couple of times and still don't get it. How is not getting Tudor BB for B-day factoring in? That's irrelevant, as far as I can see.
Sorry that I didn't make myself clear. In order to avoid watch "collection" getting out of hand, I budget myself to just one watch per year and yet to buy one this year. Tudor BB with bracelet was too darn heavy when I first tried it and never looked back. Walked into an AD last month accompanying a friend buying Oris—tried on the BB on leather and kinda liked it.
In some way I've grown to avoid watches that needs "babying" thus I'm getting honest opinions about maintaining the speedy, including washing the watch (something I'm quite anal about). Past years, when I thought I'll be ready to get Speedy for birthday or Christmas, Baselworld would release something and ADs would distract me with a "rare" model, like Rolex OP39 or Breitling Superocean II in white. Speedy professional wasn't a unicorn watch, so it'll always be available and was easy to procrastinate.

I'm inclined to buy Speedy by end of the month, to avoid wandering into ADs and trying various moonwatches every now and then. Are there any sapphire fans that would tell me to get that instead of hesalite? :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree... the purchase of a watch is emotional... either you feel it or not

·
Registered
299 Posts
The sapphire is awesome (and a much more fitting premium material for a €4000-€5000 watch than plastic, don't let the hesalite purists tell you otherwise) and it will give you a lot of peace of mind if you plan to use this as your daily wearer. The sappire crystal is beautiful in person, and you get the caseback with the upgraded 1863 movement as a bonus.

Handwinding a precious watch is much more fun than automatic. I love it. It's a daily ritual I look forward to the moment I wake up.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Search 'Milky ring Speedmaster' to see the biggest difference between Hesalite and sapphire. For me, I couldn't unsee it, but I was set on the Hesalite anyways. Provides a very unique look at various angles with the way the crystal continuously curves in a dome, as a opposed to the more 'boxy' shape of the sapphire. Get some Polywatch, and it looks like new whenever you want it to. I polish mine a few times a year, or if I knock it on something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The sapphire is awesome (and a much more fitting premium material for a €4000-€5000 watch than plastic, don't let the hesalite purists tell you otherwise) and it will give you a lot of peace of mind if you plan to use this as your daily wearer. The sappire crystal is beautiful in person, and you get the caseback with the upgraded 1863 movement as a bonus.

Handwinding a precious watch is much more fun than automatic. I love it. It's a daily ritual I look forward to the moment I wake up.
This. All of this.

I bought a sapphire sandwich recently. I always thought I'd go with the hesalite but after seeing it in person I immediately wanted a sapphire one. I understand the ring and it is a little distracting at first. However I wanted something that will take occasional knocks and not want to have to bother with the hassle of polywatch and having to put up with scratches being easier. I have never broken a sapphire glass (and hopefully won't start with this one!). For me the clincher was the beautiful 1863 movement and sapphire caseback. The polished movement is gorgeous and should be seen. I have been enjoying the daily ritual of winding my watch (and almost look forward to it). 30 winds take 15-20 seconds and it is nice to be interacting with a proper mechanical, precision crafted device.

I also preferred the thought of the watch having a metal brake in the mechanism rather than a plastic one in the hesalite version with the solid caseback. For a watch of this cost I sort of feel it deserves a metal part. It would play on my mind. Maybe that is just me though.

It is a great watch!

Reactions: atmfrank and Buramu

·
Registered
157 Posts
I bought a sapphire sandwich a few months ago (and currently selling btw but not because I didn't love it) and the "milky ring" never bothered me. I didn't even know it existed until after buying it and even after consideration, just not a big deal to me. And unlike lots of Omega crystals, there's no AR on the outside so nothing to get scratched. The 1863 finishing and transparent back are also nothing short of awesome and you won't get that with the hesalite unless you track down that one reference produced several years ago that had hesalite crystal + transparent caseback.

And I find the manually winding fun. Sort of a ritual. The crown guards can make it a challenge for folks with sausage fingers but there are actually tools on the market to help wind a crown (just for the love of all that's holy don't overwind it).

Lastly, as others have said, the 50m WR should be fine for rain, hand-washing. Might be ok for surface swimming but I just have this thing about chronos and water. I just picked up a Zenith EP which I didn't realize had 100m WR but you still won't find me swimming or do anything aquatic with it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Solutions to your problems:

1. You can opt to buy it without the display box, and get a regular wood one. As far as I know. You may be able to finagle a discount from that too.
2. Polywatch for hesalite scratches, or get sapphire.
3. Water resistance is enough to wash and scrub, just be semi careful.
4. Manual winding is not that hard to deal with. Easily becomes routine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts