WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
One has to remember the original purpose of the Speedmaster. It was worn as a utility watch at sports events or any event that had to deal with measuring time, at motor race tracks for example (same as Rolex Daytona/Tag Heuer Carrera). Old Speedmasters were meant to be beaten up, people didn't wear them as fancy wrist wear. I don't own my Cal 863 (bought in 1995) for everyday wear. I own it because of the evolutionary time period of watchmaking, and because it was selected to fly to the moon. As a teenager, I had an Omega promotional poster of Neil Armstrong pinned at the wall, serving as an inspiration. The Hesalite crystal was one of the reasons the Speedy was selected for NASA space missions.

Perhaps this helps with the purchase decision, perhaps it doesn't. Buying a Speedy means buying a piece of history, and it's well worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Buy the damn watch and enjoy it
So I've decided to do just that, only to find out that the usual ADs, and Omega boutique itself is out of stock for the hesalite model.

Apparently there is a rumour going around about Omega discontinuation of the hesalite 1861 movement in favour of a new one. Hence hesalite models are all snapped up.

I need to "wait for a call" like rolex while they try to restock, possibly from Omega Switzerland.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I need to "wait for a call" like rolex while they try to restock, possibly from Omega Switzerland.
Actually, that's nothing at all like ROLEX.

They probably told you that they have no stock, but they will call you when they do get more in.

I'm sure they didnt laugh at you, or tell you they'd put your name on "the list" and that they'd call you when and if your turn came up. Nothing like ROLEX.

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure you'll get your Speedy. And when you do you're going to be ecstatic. Continue to keep this thread updated and post some pictures when your Speedmaster arrives. Good luck!

René

·
Registered
12,073 Posts
So I've decided to do just that, only to find out that the usual ADs, and Omega boutique itself is out of stock for the hesalite model.

Apparently there is a rumour going around about Omega discontinuation of the hesalite 1861 movement in favour of a new one. Hence hesalite models are all snapped up.

Not sure what country you're in, but check Omega's online store. They are available directly from Omega (at least accessing their store from the US). I'm sure there are many online ADs that also have the Speedmaster in stock. I still doubt Omega is dumb enough to change the original Speedmaster. Sure, they may offer another version, but the original cash cow will always be there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice! Welcome to the club. The Speedy Pro is a strap monster, it looks great on just about anything!

Reactions: phuque99

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have a 3750.50 Moonwatch and have owned it about 18 years now. I use Pepsodent toothpaste and a cotton ball to keep the crystal looking good. I don't wear it daily so winding is no big deal (but it's not a comfortable watch to wind with the crown between the two pushers. You can get most of it sliding your index finger along the underside. Mine came in the old box so that's also a non-issue.

I see you decided to go for it. Here's a little inspiration. Worn on a high end alligator strap (Hirsch Viscount) shows it off at its best IMO -

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Don't have any concerns. Buy, wear, enjoy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Congrats! Wrist shot mandatory
Are you love in it?

first impressions? How you find winding now?

Any scratches? Haha Joke ....but it will happen
I definitely love the watch. I must say that the external box was a lot more annoying than I imagined. It has been stashed away under the bed, with the loupe stored in dry box.

For what it's worth, one of the lug was lightly scratched out of the boutique after I asked them to help remove the bracelet before packing, but it isn't something I'm bothered about.

All that said, winding it is a bit too difficult with the crown guards. My fingers might start developing calluses!

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I definitely love the watch. I must say that the external box was a lot more annoying than I imagined. It has been stashed away under the bed, with the loupe stored in dry box.

For what it's worth, one of the lug was lightly scratched out of the boutique after I asked them to help remove the bracelet before packing, but it isn't something I'm bothered about.

All that said, winding it is a bit too difficult with the crown guards. My fingers might start developing calluses!
Congrats on the watch.

I feel your pain in regards to the winding. I never managed to get comfortable winding my Speedy and sold it. Those stupid crown guards are a solution to a problem that does not exist. I have many manual wind watches and with the exception of a vintage watch with a too small replacement crown, the Speedy is by far the most uncomfortable watch to wind.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Congrats on owning one of the most iconic watches our there! It must feel great to get something you've been thinking about for 10 years.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Try winding it upside down. The watch, not you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Congrats on owning one of the most iconic watches our there! It must feel great to get something you've been thinking about for 10 years.
Yes! I wish I paid more attention and bought the 3570 to avoid the huge packaging box. It is also amazing that a black alligator strap transformed my speedy into an almost formal time piece.
Try winding it upside down. The watch, not you.
I did try that, following suggestions found on older posts, but it didn't help much. The least painful method turned out to be "sliding" my forefinger below the crown—I hope that doesn't damage the stem in the long run.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The sappire crystal is beautiful in person
it’s really not, at least not compare to plexi. There is a reason it is called a “condom crystal”.

it’s fine I guess, but it is a Moonwatch in name only.

‘If you must get sapphire take a serious look at the FOIS, its a more interesting watch than the sapphire sandwich, plus it’s about the same money as a Moonwatch and doesn’t come with the huge box. There’s just something about that watch and it’s doubtful they’ll make the move to 3861.

·
Registered
299 Posts
it’s really not
It really is. It looks different from the plastic, but don’t confuse “different” with “less easthetically pleasing”. i love how the light refracts in the thick rich sapphire. It coninually changes and moves. It’s the natural look of crystal and doesn’t hide it. it’s fine if you don’t like it, but I greatly prefer its look over the old plastic cover.

I could have saved €1000 by going plastic, but the sapphire was worth the premium for me. If the other version hadn’t gone to the moon Omega would be laughed out of Switzerland for putting hardlex on a luxury €5000+ watch.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
  1. .
  2. I have 2 big scratches on mine, and I love them
  3. Its not a chore, it becomes a thing you do without thinking about it
  4. Its humid here in dubai, I don't wash the watch, just a q-tip and a bit of water does the job to clean it if needed

·
Registered
15 Posts
It really is. It looks different from the plastic, but don’t confuse “different” with “less aesthetically pleasing”. i love how the light refracts in the thick rich sapphire. It continually changes and moves. It’s the natural look of crystal and doesn’t hide it. it’s fine if you don’t like it, but I greatly prefer its look over the old plastic cover.
Agreed, I tried to go into the store with an open mind and was able to see and try both watches side by side. It took me about 10 seconds to decide on the Sapphire Sandwich version. I think the sapphire looks great from all angels and I couldn't pass up being able to look at that gorgeous polished movement. I understand the people who prefer the hesalite but definitely 100% feel I made the right choice for me.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts