WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am newbie wanting an entry level submariner style watch that is automatic with a sapphire crystal.

I like the Orient CER00008D /007D for around $150.
Are there any other watches close to this price or some that are higher quality for a little more. I am trying to stay at $300 or below.

How would this watch compare to the Invicta 9937?

Does Seiko have anything in this range with a sapphire crystal?

thanks in advance

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
I am newbie wanting an entry level submariner style watch that is automatic with a sapphire crystal.

I like the Orient CER00008D /007D for around $150.
Are there any other watches close to this price or some that are higher quality for a little more. I am trying to stay at $300 or below.

How would this watch compare to the Invicta 9937?

Does Seiko have anything in this range with a sapphire crystal?

thanks in advance
Most of the Orient Divers do not have sapphire. Also there are very few Seiko divers that have sapphire. If you really like something that doesn't come stock with a sapphire, there are many options for aftermarket crystals.

That model you pointed out is relatively new and I don't think it has landed on any of the forums that I visit. I suspect it is very similar to the previous Orient Sub style except with a sapphire. Some were disappointed with the bracelet on the older model. I would be curious to see if Orient beefed it up with this new model.

There is an Invicta model with a Seiko movement that is on the deal a day sites all the time for about $60. I think it has that flame fusion crystal which is a hybrid of sapphire and mineral. I don't know the model number. That's the only other option I can think of.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Is there are real need for sapphire or is it just something you are interested in? For instance, most of the Orients come with mineral crystals, which is a 6 on Mohs scale of mineral hardness. Seiko's hardlex is similar and maybe a little harder, but Sapphire is a 9. The reason I needed sapphire for my watches is that all the counters in my house are granite, which is 7-8 on the hardness scale and would scratch my mineral crystal watches. That being said, I dropped one of my sapphire crystal watches recently and it chipped... So maybe there is something to the to be said for the flexibility of the mineral crystal in terms of impact.

Ref:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The problem with the Sapphire crystals, is because of their relative expensiveness (compared to mineral) they are very thin and this means pretty easy to break compared to mineral.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Actually in my experience sapphire crystals are the same dimensions of the mineral crystals they replace. However, the sapphire crystal structure is more rigid and therefor less impact resistant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After wearing a sapphire crystal Zodiacs for the last 4 years I am a believer in its durability. I picked one up at a Fossil outlet for $50 and liked it so much got another the next year I went back. Apparenty I am pretty rough with watches, I have a Bulova with the mineral crystal and scratched it up pretty bad in a short time so I hardly wear it. Another strategy I am trying is the Zagg invisibleshield I just recently put one on a mineral victorinox, but have not had it long enough to see how well it will work.

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
I have found that the larger bezels used on divers tend to protect the crystals a lot better than the minimal ones found on dress styles. Which is good because sapphire is more common on dress styles than divers at similar prices.

There are several models of Citizen I just won't buy because they are mineral and the design elevates the crystal above the bezel so it is completely unprotected. I had one like this and even though I liked it a lot, I had to let it go because I just couldn't take banging up the crystal anymore.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I might suggest a St. Moritz aquamatic II. Although I can't say for sure what type of movement is used. I was interested in one myself. I sent an email to their customer service to see if they could clarify what "Swiss made movement" actually meant. If I get a response from them I will cut and paste their response to this thread.

http://www.st-moritz.com/pages/prod...y=Aquamatic_II&dial=Black&band=Polished_Steel

A little over your $300 budget, but it can come with a sapphire and unlike a lot of the other moderately priced sub clones/homages (most are rated at 100m water resistance)...the aquamatic II is rated at 300m water resistance which is pretty amazing.

Personally, I'm fast becoming a fan of St. Moritz. I plan on pulling the trigger on thier m50 dive watch soon. Thier watches seem to have a lot of bang for the buck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might suggest a St. Moritz aquamatic II. Although I can't say for sure what type of movement is used. I was interested in one myself. I sent an email to their customer service to see if they could clarify what "Swiss made movement" actually meant. If I get a response from them I will cut and paste their response to this thread.

http://www.st-moritz.com/pages/prod...y=Aquamatic_II&dial=Black&band=Polished_Steel

A little over your $300 budget, but it can come with a sapphire and unlike a lot of the other moderately priced sub clones/homages (most are rated at 100m water resistance)...the aquamatic II is rated at 300m water resistance which is pretty amazing.

Personally, I'm fast becoming a fan of St. Moritz. I plan on pulling the trigger on thier m50 dive watch soon. Thier watches seem to have a lot of bang for the buck.
If you go to the products page and hold the mouse over Aquamatic II, within the description it states that it has the 2824-2

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Man...I never noticed that..in that case...I am all over this thing...time to start saving :)

Thanks Delta....you beat ST. Moritz's Customer Service by the way ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can get these today on ebay.com from a dealer called watches59. They also have a website called sky watches, and are based in Singapore.
I bought the black one with the black bezel. I've had it for about 2 weeks. It cost AU$ 159 with free postage to Melbourne. It has the sapphire crystal and the same logo/crest on the watch face as found on the old black mako watch. The watch is really great, but the bracelet is not as nice as the one on the old black mako. Overall, I am very pleased with my new Orient watch. It feels very well made, although I bought a black Alpha sub at the same time from Hong Kong and feel it has a better bracelet than this one. You can always upgrade the bracelet. That is not a show stopper. Orient makes very cool mechanical watches that exude quality. This one is no exception.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts