WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in changing the metal keeper and buckle on my current stainless steel equipped GWG1000 to black PVD hardware. There is a limited edition of this watch that comes with black as standard (Maharishi), but the replacement strap alone is over £100, way above my budget for a keeper & buckle. Anyone aware of another 20mm G Shock strap that comes with black PVD hardware I can have a look at?

Current stainless steel

gwg 1000 buckle.jpg

Desired black PVD hardware...

Casio-G-Shock-X-Maharishi-black buckle.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Couldn't you paint the keeper and buckle?? :think:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Couldn't you paint the keeper and buckle?? :think:
These pieces get a lot of manipulation. Unless industrially done, don't know how long a home job would be viable.

·
Registered
12,579 Posts
Do you know anyone in the auto repair biz? Powder coat it.

Sent from Capt. Kirk's Communicator

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Do you know anyone in the auto repair biz? Powder coat it.

Wit, even with powder coat the consistent abrading to the same areas will take it down.

·
Registered
12,579 Posts
Just throwing ideas and seeing if the spaghetti sticks~

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
the singapore dudes have done anodize jobs for metal hardware that seems to hold up ok.

ps. the only 2 prong black buckle i can think of is from a frog. i know, not much cheaper :p

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had a feeling this was a bit of a non starter! Oh well, worth the ask. The 'home paint' solution as suggested is a non starter. I painted a watchback black 6 years ago (see attached thread on my GW2500bd) which initially looked fine, but after some time, just started to wear off to the extent that I sanded the back down to it's original bare metal finish...

https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/pain...tages-i-should-know-573127-2.html#post4213195

There is a 'double tang' watch strap on Ebay, but the buckle looks a bit flimsy, and I couldn't even guess if the spacing is the same to match up with the GWG1000 strap holes. And it still doesn't give a nice metal keeper. Oh, and £40 for the strap just to use a buckle!

s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Stephen, either take the dive and buy the Maharishi so you can have OEM quality parts or leave it alone. Original and black look fine. Don't compromise the quality.

Reactions: StephenWatch

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stephen, either take the dive and buy the Maharishi so you can have OEM quality parts or leave it alone. Original and black look fine. Don't compromise the quality.
Totally agree. Now I'm on the lookout for a used (even broken!) Maharishi strap that someone wants to sell for about £20 LOL

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Came across this strap for a G-9200, which appears to have a black double tang buckle. By chance, anyone have this watch, and if so, is the buckle a 22mm fitting?

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Came across this strap for a G-9200, which appears to have a black double tang buckle. By chance, anyone have this watch, and if so, is the buckle a 22mm fitting?
I have a GW-9110-1 Gulfman, which uses the same type of strap as the G-9200 Riseman. I just measured the width of the strap at the buckle, and it's 20 mm.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a GW-9110-1 Gulfman, which uses the same type of strap as the G-9200 Riseman. I just measured the width of the strap at the buckle, and it's 20 mm.
Bummer, just found a strap at £10 which is a great price point - shame it doesn't fit. Thanks for checking...

Reactions: GaryK30

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just had an email from the Ebay seller of this strap, and he states that the buckle is a 22mm width. Is he just trying to sting me with a sale, or do you think there would there be leeway in it to fit a 22mm strap?

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I just had an email from the Ebay seller of this strap, and he states that the buckle is a 22mm width. Is he just trying to sting me with a sale, or do you think there would there be leeway in it to fit a 22mm strap?
It fits pretty closely on mine, the same as in the pic you posted above. I suppose you can squeeze a 22 mm strap in there if you try, but it's not really the right size. Also, what about the position of the tangs? If these don't match your strap, it will be a no-go.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reactions: MainePorsche

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
5 days from Hong Kong to UK! I'm chuffed to bits...

before and after black copyright.jpg

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Reactions: StephenWatch
1 - 20 of 21 Posts