1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing the "brand game" on the cafe forum,

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=1371973#poststop

and remembered having this watch :

I've been looking on the internet but never found anything about that brand ? Does it ring any bells to anyone ? :think:

The watch belonged to one of my cousin.
It's probably circa 1970 (60s' maybe ?)
The original bracelet was a gold plated mesh (I changed for this brown calf)
What can I add... it's a small watch (38mm) with the date at 3h.
It stopped few months ago :-( , but kept excellent time before.
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=1371973#poststop

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Definitely late 1960s or early 1970s. Very unusual to see a sub second dial on watches from this era. The brand is quite obscure - probably a generic movement inside which might be identifiable from a picture.

·
Registered
25,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely late 1960s or early 1970s. Very unusual to see a sub second dial on watches from this era. The brand is quite obscure - probably a generic movement inside which might be identifiable from a picture.
Thanks for your reply Ray |>

I think it's definitely from the 60-70s'
I thought it might be an English brand, because I know this cousin was from Great Britain… :think:
Alas, no one from this part of my family is still alive, today :-( so I've got nobody to ask to…

It's weird that a brand could leave absolutely no trace…
But who will remember all the mushroom brands in 30 years from now ? :think:

·
Registered
25,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Noone ? :think:

Do I own the one and only LOINS on earth ?

;-)

That's a new thread idea :

Disappeared brands / unknown brands / the watch you are the only owner ?

:think: I might start something like that...

·
Registered
25,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Damn :think: I tried to open the back yesterday... it moves a bit, but won't unscrew... :think:
And the crown won't turn anymore...

I think I'll bring it to my watchmaker...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Looks to me like a low/no jewel pin lever

Sometimes they have a pry off back that is made to look like a screw off one.

·
Registered
25,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Looks to me like a low/no jewel pin lever

Sometimes they have a pry off back that is made to look like a screw off one.
So, does it mean I have to pull the case ? :think:

·
Registered
25,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New pics !

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
I certainly feel curious about the movement: six o'clock subdial for second and yet with date, immediately reminds me of the Vostok 2605 movement, based on the K-26 "Pobeda" movement and made until as late as some time in the late 1970s, if not beyond.

·
Registered
25,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I certainly feel curious about the movement: six o'clock subdial for second and yet with date, immediately reminds me of the Vostok 2605 movement, based on the K-26 "Pobeda" movement and made until as late as some time in the late 1970s, if not beyond.
Hi Seele, thanks for your input :)

I have absolutely no clue where this watch was made. :-(

The russian hypothesis comes for the first time :think: interesting…

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Hi Seele, thanks for your input :)

I have absolutely no clue where this watch was made. :-(

The russian hypothesis comes for the first time :think: interesting…
Reno,

Then as now, having a Russian movement does not mean the watch was built in Russia. For instance, for a number of years, Cornavin had watches built in Hong Kong, using Poljot movements, HK-made cases and Taiwanese dials, such as the (in)famous "Jessica".

So if it really has a Vostok 2605, it's also possible that a retailer used cases and dials sourced from somewhere else to case up these movements. But of course, without seeing the movement, it would still be totally conjectural.

Naturally there might be other movements with the same characteristics that I am not aware of :think:

FYI: pictures pinched from eBay of a Vostok with 2605:

·
Registered
25,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed. I meant the origin of the movement

I'm aware of incased russian movements, owning this Lithuanian watch with Vostok movement ;-)

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Nice Energia :)

I guess all of us are waiting for your report on the movement in your Loins (no pun intended!)

Further thoughts:

Looking at the picture of the Vostok watch, you can see the date window is unusually close to the middle of the dial; on most watches, it is much closer to the edge of the dial. The dial on the Loins is similar, so much so that the dial designer made a bogus day window to take up the slack, just to make it visually more balanced.

Intriguing stuff!

·
Registered
25,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice Energia :)

I guess all of us are waiting for your report on the movement in your Loins (no pun intended!)

Further thoughts:

Looking at the picture of the Vostok watch, you can see the date window is unusually close to the middle of the dial; on most watches, it is much closer to the edge of the dial. The dial on the Loins is similar, so much so that the dial designer made a bogus day window to take up the slack, just to make it visually more balanced.

Intriguing stuff!
Problem is I can't seem to make that caseback move :think:

And I don't want to break anything while trying :-(

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Since it is a nice and unusual watch, it might be worth getting a watchmaker to attend to it and get it working again; it's good to have working loins! :-d

·
Registered
25,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since it is a nice and unusual watch, it might be worth getting a watchmaker to attend to it and get it working again; it's good to have working loins! :-d
:think: I don't know if I mentioned it but the watch is currently running fine :-!

I thought I had damaged something after my counter-clockwise experiment, but I realized a few weeks ago that everything went back to normal after letting the power reserve deplete |>

This watch is probably 50y old, never was serviced ; I tortured it, and it still ticking strong :-d boy am I glad ^_^

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
.............cut .........

This watch is probably 50y old, never was serviced ; I tortured it, and it still ticking strong :-d boy am I glad ^_^
definetely it looks like a russian watch :-d

·
Registered
25,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
25,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is also possible that it's a Hong Kong built watch using a Vostok movement too.
If only I could find a way to open this damn caseback :-(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts