WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back....

Posting this afternoon because I just got off working 24 hours straight overseeing a remediation pump test at a local manufacturing facility. I'm a geologist and we're testing a fairly new techology in abating PCB and oil contaminated soil.

Anyway.... I am presented with a happy dilemma, I can purchase a TAG (300M AR Quartz Chrono) online or at a local AD. I have been told that the TAG warranty comes with the AD purchase but does not come with the online purchase. The TAG at the AD is around $1,870 and the TAG online (Jomashop) is around $1580. I have asked the AD if they will match the online price or, at least, work with me on it and was told that they are already offering a discount from the list price of $2200 and refuse to go any lower.

So, how does the warranty issue work and would it be worth my while to save $300 and buy online?

Thank you for your thoughts on the matter.

Rob

·
Registered
818 Posts
Jomashop, among others, is a gray market [I think that's what it's called] seller. Jomashop will not provide you with a TAG warranty because they are not an AD. If I'm not mistaken, Jomashop offers their own warranty with their watches through them, not the company of the watch. TAG does not care where you bought it if you're willing to pay the money to have it serviced or fixed (as long as it's real...) so essentially that $300 you save from Jomashop is for a TAG warranty and probably the paperwork. The likelihood of needing the warranty that soon into the purchase is somewhat unlikely so if you can save some money, you may want to consider it...

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Thats the $64,000 question. If the watch doesnt have an issue within 2 years, you ar up $300. If it does, then Jomashop will warranty it (I assume) for a certain length of time and will be repaired by a watchmaker/facility of their choice but likely not by TAG itself.

There are two opinions on gray sellers. Some contend TAG's repair/warranty service is no better and sometimes worse that getting it repaired by an unautherized watchmaker. Some will only want TAG working on it using TAG parts.

It just depends on your risk/reward makeup.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats the $64,000 question. If the watch doesnt have an issue within 2 years, you ar up $300. If it does, then Jomashop will warranty it (I assume) for a certain length of time and will be repaired by a watchmaker/facility of their choice but likely not by TAG itself.

There are two opinions on gray sellers. Some contend TAG's repair/warranty service is no better and sometimes worse that getting it repaired by an unautherized watchmaker. Some will only want TAG working on it using TAG parts.

It just depends on your risk/reward makeup.
I was just testing the waters and asking my elder brothers in the TAG world. I really wouldn't consider buying from an online store for several reason but two of the most important are that I've been building a relationship with the local AD and, if the watch ever needs servicing, I want to be able to take it to the local AD and have the work done. To me, it's worth the extra cost for peace of mind and just doing the right thing by the gentleman who has been guiding my purchase.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jomashop, among others, is a gray market [I think that's what it's called] seller. Jomashop will not provide you with a TAG warranty because they are not an AD. If I'm not mistaken, Jomashop offers their own warranty with their watches through them, not the company of the watch. TAG does not care where you bought it if you're willing to pay the money to have it serviced or fixed (as long as it's real...) so essentially that $300 you save from Jomashop is for a TAG warranty and probably the paperwork. The likelihood of needing the warranty that soon into the purchase is somewhat unlikely so if you can save some money, you may want to consider it...
You're right about the gray market world. I ran into a similar dilemma a few years back when I was buying my Nikon DSLR. I could have gotten it for a lot cheaper going with certain sites on the internet but a warranty did not accompany the camera. I've never had a problem with the camera but having a warranty that Nikon honors certainly put my mind at ease.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
241 Posts
My suggestion is the online route. Being a quartz, it is very unlikely for it to break within the first two years (unlike a mechanical). Even if it does, it's a lot easier to fix and way cheaper to replace the movement.

Save the $290.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a similar dilemma about purchasing my first TAG a few weeks ago. I tried on several Carrera and Grand Carrera at local ADs who were very helpful. However, in the end I decided saving a few hundred dollars from Amazon (direct, not from additional seller) was the way for me to go. I did bookmark Jomashop in my online searches and they seem to have identical prices to Amazon. I frequently buy from Amazon, so I trusted them more than buying from other web-stores. No sales tax for me and free 1-day shipping from Amazon. Like others have said, Amazon provides their own 2-year warranty through their own service center. I'm hoping I won't need to use it, but if I do at least it's something. At the end of the day, I'm hella happy wearing my new Grand Carrera Calibre 6 RS regardless of where I purchased from. Good luck! ~Fiel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts