WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday evening whilst finishing off my Xmas shopping I wandered into the local branch of Goldsmiths (UK). The assistant tried to sell me a new GMT II - M serial etc. He said as a special he would do it for £3200 instead of £3442 - so a saving of £242 (~$484USD). After a quick call with senior management (wife) I was told it wasn't going to happen so I had to pass up on the offer.My question is was £200 off a new GMT II good? I was under the impression it was but his readiness to drop 200 straight away made me think I could get more elsewhere.Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
You probably wouldn't have gotten much better, not that that is that great.
A shame the wife was home!

·
Registered
100 Posts
In my experience they usually offer the best AD discounts ( if anyone in the UK knows different please let me know as I'm in the market next year for a new Rolex. ) I asked for a discount at the only Rolex AD in Derbyshire and was told "no discounts on new models".

·
Registered
449 Posts
Most shops (in the US, anyway) offer interest-free financing for a year or two. If you don't have the cash on hand, that is a good way to go. It may cancel the discount, but you are better off paying over time. Couple of hundred a month nobody will miss it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went to Mayor's a popular Jewelry Retailer here in South Florida and the gentleman told me GMT II stainless $5900.00.

I then called up my Jeweler and he told me that right now its selling at retail but he had a two tone GMT II going for $8000 retail $9000.00.

I am in love with the new GMT II Steel so I guess I am going to wait and see if the market settles a bit.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Go back and offer 3k cash. Senior management will understand a great deal if the AD goes for it :)
3k cash for a 6k watch?
Only way THAT will work is if you bring a gun as well :-d

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Gotya, without the funny "pound" sign my feeble Amerikun mind went numb. :-d

·
Registered
50 Posts
Took me a while to find it on the PC...
Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map (phew!)

You're right though, would be a v good deal. Erolb - let us know how you go. Wave that hard cash under the salesperson's nose... ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took me a while to find it on the PC...
Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map (phew!)

You're right though, would be a v good deal. Erolb - let us know how you go. Wave that hard cash under the salesperson's nose... ;-)
I'm sorry to say that common sense and the realities of day-to-day life prevailed. My wife pointed out our daughter's school fees, lack of foreign holiday lthis year and a few other other things which sadly made me opt for the reassuringly [email protected] option of letting the watch go.

I feel as though I have let the side down!

Thanks All for responding and some great advice.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I'm sorry to say that common sense and the realities of day-to-day life prevailed. My wife pointed out our daughter's school fees, lack of foreign holiday lthis year and a few other other things which sadly made me opt for the reassuringly [email protected] option of letting the watch go.

I feel as though I have let the side down!

Thanks All for responding and some great advice.
Don't you hate when rational minds prevail? o|
Tell your daughter she owes you a Rolex when she lands a great job some day you helped her get! :-d

1 - 14 of 14 Posts