1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
I've never been asked directly why I don't use a cell phone instead of a watch. But others have said to me that they don't feel the need to buy a watch given the multitude of other time keeping devices we now have around us in our daily lives. Thereby implying, I guess, that I'm old fashioned, or whatever. My usual response is simply that I like watches, and find them more convenient. I don't see the need to justify it further.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
It's come up when I'm discussing watches with some other watch geek in the company of a person who doesn't wear one.

I'm in tech, and most developer and IT types are rarely shy with their opinions, especially regarding their phones.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I did have some use the "my iPhone tells the time for much less". I just shook my head and said yeah come and see me if it still works in 3 years. it's a pointless discussion so I tend to just end it quickly.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Well, as a professional working in HK, you are pretty much expected to wear a watch. Plus I am just used to it, want to see the time by just flicking my wrist.(personal preference)

People here are more acceptable/spoiled by "nice" watch, there's about 5 omega stores within 5 min walking distance..about 10-15 place you can get a Rolex

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I don't recall ever having been asked why I wear a watch as opposed to just using my phone, nor why I sometimes wore a pretty expensive one. Not even by my stepsons who are of the smartphone age. The elder actually has been a watch wearer at least since he was 11.

I have lunch with two friends pretty regularly, and until lately neither one has worn a watch. Then things changed. Friend 1 (who was a manufacturer's rep and in the past handled a couple of cheap watch lines) apparently dug out an old quartz jobbie from his dresser drawer, had a battery put in, and started wearing it. Shortly thereafter, friend 2 had on a Chronoswiss Delphis, which prompted a watch brand discussion. Next time we met for lunch, he had on a gold Franck Muller. I'm sure they were not new acquisitions, but he just didn't usually wear them. I guess I just hang out with the older generation.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
What do cell phone people do if they need to check the time while they're on the phone? Pull out another phone from their pocket?

Reactions: porschefan

·
Registered
628 Posts
What do cell phone people do if they need to check the time while they're on the phone? Pull out another phone from their pocket?
Yes. I have two phones.

To me, wearing a suit without a watch is like wearing pants without a belt. Some people think it's OK, but to the discerning eye, you look weird.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I believe most phones will still display the time somewhere on the screen even during a call. Just a matter of taking it off your ear for a second and seeing the screen.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is much cooler use a watch to tell time when you are ridding a motorcycle...
So, you are ridding a motocycle, use you watch and that's when somebody told you about cell phones - that's the story? I just don't buy it.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
We've all got that turd co-worker that, among other dumb stuff he feels the need to bother you about, would give you this line as well. Some people, no matter how hard you try and tell them, just won't take their stupid attitude, and shove it. Oh well, that just seems to be the world works.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
I believe most phones will still display the time somewhere on the screen even during a call. Just a matter of taking it off your ear for a second and seeing the screen.
Well yeah, you can do that, but how is that more convenient than looking at your watch while still holding your phone to you ear? What if you're on a call with someone and you're listening and you need to know when to hang up for another phone meeting? Happens to me several times a week. Less often with my cell phone than my work phone, but still. The scenario exists.

I was also trying to be funny, but I see that failed. I swear, sometimes you guys can take this a little too seriously.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was also trying to be funny, but I see that failed. I swear, sometimes you guys can take this a little too seriously.
I actually feel direclty opposite - I noticed that in many cases some members instead of saying something on a topic give those funny replies. It's not that I object it but as you see youself it triggers discussion of your joke instead of discussion of the topic, or, even worse, a joke indicates that you are expressing how stupid/boring question was.

·
Banned
181 Posts
It does happen.My response in the other thread caused both positive and negative reactions.

I'm at a party with good bike riding friends who know I collect watches.My friend asked the question,hince the
watch and cell phone in the pool.
That was many years ago and I replaced his phone the next day.
So while some didn't like what I did,they didn't know the story behind it.

As far as the responder who thinks its easier to look at the watch while riding a bike?
You take your eyes off the road long enough to do that,hitting a tree is usually what the
end result is.
If you are wearing proper gear,your watch is covered by gloves.
I'd rather take a cell phone on a bike ride anyways.You can't dial 911 if you crash with your watch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts