WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm a long-time "lurker" and a first-time poster to Watchuseek. Salute!

I own a Breitling Colt Superocean and I've drawn a blank during my research of this watch in the Aeromarine line. For your reference, Breitling made these watches (i.e., A17040) from 1995 to 2000-- when "Colt" was dropped in favor of the now named "Superocean."

According to Breitling's Chronologs, the Colt Superocean was supposedly made to specifications laid out by the USN SEALs. My question is this: Is the Navy SEAL nexus just marketing hyperbole by Breitling like Luminox claim with their Navy SEALs line? Or, is there actual empirical evidence that Colt Superoceans were issued and worn during operations by the teams?

It would seem that the highly polished stainless steel finish of these watches would not be tactically desirable. Does anyone know what SEALs were issued or wearing for their combat diving ops during the years 1995-2000?

I'll cross-post this in the Breitling forum to see if they have any info, too.

TIA for your responses!

·
Registered
173 Posts
As I recall, SEALs are issued DW-6600s and/or some type of Casio Pathfinder. I've never met a teamguy with an issued Breitling, or ever heard of it happening.

·
Premium Member
8,867 Posts
I doubt it

If they were, they would have traded heavily on the fact and still would - but I am aware of little publicity any more to the SO SEAL lineage

I bought one of the original Mk1's in 1995 and I remember the chronolog catalogue from around then being rather oblique in how it referred to the Seals - read closely it suggested the Seals were consulted or in mind or perhaps their watch requirements adhered to, when they devised the SO.

Only pics i've ever seen of SEAL ops had them wearing Casio

si

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
Hello All,

I'm a long-time "lurker" and a first-time poster to Watchuseek. Salute!

According to Breitling's Chronologs, the Colt Superocean was supposedly made to specifications laid out by the USN SEALs. My question is this: Is the Navy SEAL nexus just marketing hyperbole by Breitling like Luminox claim with their Navy SEALs line? Or, is there actual empirical evidence that Colt Superoceans were issued and worn during operations by the teams?

TIA for your responses!
Hey to you.
If the watch was issued, it was a personal issue, and not through official channels as it is not a govt issued item.

Does being issued/worn/specs designed by Seals excite you? :rodekaart

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I don't know if it was issued to the SEAL's so much as met their specs.

TAG used to describe the Aquagraph Chronograph as having been tested by the seals and passing all their tests. I think that is also what Breitling is referring to, having been tested. Perhaps some SEAL's get to keep a few watches after the testing and in return companies get some bragging rights.

It's unlikely the Gov't would spend thousands on something which is not as suitable as a $50 G Shock. (Although unlikely doesn't mean impossible with our gov't of course...)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Simon,

That's what I figured. From the price level and a tactical standpoint (e.g., the highly polished stainless steel) I wouldn't think that the U.S. Navy would buy the Colt Superocean by the pallet.

Thanks for pointing out the advertising copy in the Chronolog.

I doubt it

If they were, they would have traded heavily on the fact and still would - but I am aware of little publicity any more to the SO SEAL lineage

I bought one of the original Mk1's in 1995 and I remember the chronolog catalogue from around then being rather oblique in how it referred to the Seals - read closely it suggested the Seals were consulted or in mind or perhaps their watch requirements adhered to, when they devised the SO.

Only pics i've ever seen of SEAL ops had them wearing Casio

si

·
Registered
834 Posts
There are no NSN numbers listed for the Breitling watch so it may have been tested but never issued. Currently Operators assigned to the Teams are utilizing the Casio. The need for high end dive watches have mainly been replaced by Nav Tec, Shearwater and Vr3 integrated dive computers currently deployed by the teams.

In the late 1960's into around 1974 the US Navy was issuing SEAL, UDT and Saturation Divers a Rolex which believe it or not the government was obtaining for around $350 each. The Marathon, P/N WW194006, Automatic mechanical movement NSN 6645-21-558-0133 is also currently available.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Yeah!! I can see it now ,teams running capers around the world with their polished HK's and diamond cluster grenades and mirrors glued to their foreheads, matching their breitlings .:-d:-d:-d

Hooyah or would it be Hoowee.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...Does being issued/worn/specs designed by Seals excite you? :rodekaart

No, and what wristwatch Jacques Y. Cousteau wore on his undersea adventures doesn't do it for me either. Now, I'll tell you what does it for me. Adriana Lima. She excites me.

I liked the Colt Superocean because of the aesthetics and the Breitling name--bought one--and used it to get my PADI certification ten years ago.

Watt, the ulterior motive of my thread was to start a discussion on what the USN SEALs were using on their combat dives 10 to 15 years ago as opposed to what they are wearing now.

I know there are many watch companies who make the claim, "The United States Navy SEALs wear our dive watches! Buy one and you can be an opeator, too!" Heck, even Jaeger-LeCoultre has a "SEAL" watch with their Master Compressor line. But I seriously doubt the Navy will be buying these at $9,500+ USD MSRP.

There is a definite difference between marketing and reality.

·
Registered
322 Posts
No, and what wristwatch Jacques Y. Cousteau wore on his undersea adventures doesn't do it for me either. Now, I'll tell you what does it for me. Adriana Lima. She excites me.

I liked the Colt Superocean because of the aesthetics and the Breitling name--bought one--and used it to get my PADI certification ten years ago.

Watt, the ulterior motive of my thread was to start a discussion on what the USN SEALs were using on their combat dives 10 to 15 years ago as opposed to what they are wearing now.

I know there are many watch companies who make the claim, "The United States Navy SEALs wear our dive watches! Buy one and you can be an opeator, too!" Heck, even Jaeger-LeCoultre has a "SEAL" watch with their Master Compressor line. But I seriously doubt the Navy will be buying these at $9,500+ USD MSRP.

Alot of people think that just because a lot of the funds that go to the marketing machine devalue the watch itself. Not people on here but some WIS in general.

Breitling makes a phenomenal watch. From the craftsmanship to the casing. And as soon as I can I will get an Avenger SeaWolf.

She will be mine. Oh yea, she will be mine.

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
:-! Ms. Lima is a hottie, no doubt.
I looked up your question on google this morning and while noting anyone can write anthing on a web page I saw the following: Stocker and Yale supplied the US military the SandY 650 designated for special forces into the early 2000's. In 1999, Uncle Sam stopped being so specofic with watch specs and changed requirements to meeting standards which opened things up for the current off-the-shelf offerings such as Casio, -uunto as well as Marathon.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Stocker & Yale P650 (MIL-W-46374F, Type 6) was a General Purpose wristwatch, with an NSN of 6645-01-364-4042. While it may have been used by the SEALs during 1995-2000-- with its (4) screw-down caseback-- I don't think it went on any combat diving operations as it may not have been water resistant enough for them.

The Marathon SAR series (in particular, the automatic GSAR) is currently issued to NASA recovery dive teams. But I don't think the SEALs are issued these.

At present, The Casio G-Shock DW-6600 series are a safe bet as they have an NSN and SEALs do use them.

Incidentally, I would post a few Adriana Lima photos but that would get us off track, so to speak...;-)

:-! Ms. Lima is a hottie, no doubt.
I looked up your question on google this morning and while noting anyone can write anthing on a web page I saw the following: Stocker and Yale supplied the US military the SandY 650 designated for special forces into the early 2000's. In 1999, Uncle Sam stopped being so specofic with watch specs and changed requirements to meeting standards which opened things up for the current off-the-shelf offerings such as Casio, -uunto as well as Marathon.

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
TIn the late 1960's into around 1974 the US Navy was issuing SEAL, UDT and Saturation Divers a Rolex which believe it or not the government was obtaining for around $350 each. The Marathon, P/N WW194006, Automatic mechanical movement NSN 6645-21-558-0133 is also currently available.
I believe it, because that is about what a Rolex Submariner cost in the early 1970's.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WJBecker,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're refering to the Rolex ref. 5513, or "Mil-Sub" as it's affectionately known. A genuine vintage 5513 Milsub in very good condition will run between $4,000 to $6,900 today-- if I'm not mistaken. My, how times have changed!

...In the late 1960's into around 1974 the US Navy was issuing SEAL, UDT and Saturation Divers a Rolex which believe it or not the government was obtaining for around $350 each...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I've got a 2002 A17360 superocean and a 2009 seawolf in stainless both awesome watches!! there was a superocean in 1997-98 that was all brushed finished A17345!

·
Registered
994 Posts
The Stocker & Yale P650 (MIL-W-46374F, Type 6) was a General Purpose wristwatch, with an NSN of 6645-01-364-4042. While it may have been used by the SEALs during 1995-2000-- with its (4) screw-down caseback-- I don't think it went on any combat diving operations as it may not have been water resistant enough for them.

The Marathon SAR series (in particular, the automatic GSAR) is currently issued to NASA recovery dive teams. But I don't think the SEALs are issued these.

At present, The Casio G-Shock DW-6600 series are a safe bet as they have an NSN and SEALs do use them.

Incidentally, I would post a few Adriana Lima photos but that would get us off track, so to speak...;-)
What does your avatar mean?
RR

·
Registered
370 Posts
two years ago i got to know a founding member of the seals.
he wore a rolex sub during the bay of pigs - it sticks out in my mind cause he told me a story how the watch was stolen
from a hotel room in chicago in the 60s.
(i jokingly said 'there must be a woman involved in this story somehow' and although he did not say anything i could tell he did not like my comment at all). :roll:

he missed his rolex sub so much over the years that his wife bought him a new one 7 years ago or so as a gift.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're refering to the Rolex ref. 5513, or "Mil-Sub" as it's affectionately known. A genuine vintage 5513 Milsub in very good condition will run between $4,000 to $6,900 today-- if I'm not mistaken. My, how times have changed!
Your asking me to remember back that far :). I do believe it was the 5513 at least that sounds right. They were a very nice issue and I do believe they would be worth around $4,000 plus depending on their condition today. During the SERE (Survival Evasion Resistance Escape training) Team operators were instructed to utilize their issued watch as cash if needed, try doing that with todays issued Casio. The Teams continued to give them out as retirement gifts into the early 80's when the price started to really climb.

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
38,915 Posts
Your asking me to remember back that far :). I do believe it was the 5513 at least that sounds right. They were a very nice issue and I do believe they would be worth around $4,000 plus depending on their condition today. During the SERE (Survival Evasion Resistance Escape training) Team operators were instructed to utilize their issued watch as cash if needed, try doing that with todays issued Casio. The Teams continued to give them out as retirement gifts into the early 80's when the price started to really climb.
As I recall from my MWR days, Rolex 5513's were personally procured along with Seiko 6105's during Viet Nam and into the late 70's. The usual issued watch during that time was the Benrus Type I and II. The "MilSub" of that period was actually the Rolex 5517 with the circle T dial and Omega SM300 style sword hands. Those were issued to British Special Operators into the mid 80's. The SandY P650 was a CBP Navigators watch and was issued mostly to USAF flight crews (that's where I got mine) along with Marathon and Adanac. There was a SandY P660 that was a true screwback diver but those were usually snapped up by nonner officers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts