WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
that's what i figured. From the price level and a tactical standpoint (e.g., the highly polished stainless steel) i wouldn't think that the u.s. Navy would buy the colt superocean by the pallet.
in the late 1960's into around 1974 the us navy was issuing seal, udt and saturation divers a rolex which believe it or not the government was obtaining for around $350 each.
+1 ;-)

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
39,025 Posts
Chief,

Thanks for the correction on the Rolex 5517. It's unreal how much Rolexes cost these days. It must cost a good deal of money to sponsor the U.S. Open and the Masters, though-- and I figure that's where some of your money goes when you buy one.
OTOH, when you buy a Rolex some of your money also goes to charity.

When Hans Wilsdorf (Rolex's founder) died, a foundation was created that controls what is now Rolex. The foundation funnels much of the profits generated by Rolex into various charitable endeavors. Given that Rolex isn't a publicly held company, exact numbers aren't known, but it's clear they generate huge sums of money for worthy charities. Just tell people the watch you're wearing isn't an overpriced bauble...it's a charitable contribution! Just don't try to write off your next Rolex purchase on your income taxes. :oops:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Chief,

Breitling, I'm sure, participates in charity events but they don't publicize the fact. They sponsor a Red Bull Air Race team and they advertise heavily at the races. One of the world championship races will be held in New York City this year, BTW.

Also, Breitling's prices have climbed steadily since 2000. It's a good thing that many of their authorized dealers are willing to discount the MSRP.

I'd like to grow my watch collection but the economy isn't helping these days.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't know if it was issued to the SEAL's so much as met their specs.

TAG used to describe the Aquagraph Chronograph as having been tested by the seals and passing all their tests. I think that is also what Breitling is referring to, having been tested. Perhaps some SEAL's get to keep a few watches after the testing and in return companies get some bragging rights.

It's unlikely the Gov't would spend thousands on something which is not as suitable as a $50 G Shock. (Although unlikely doesn't mean impossible with our gov't of course...)
Does that mean the $1000 for hammers and $1600 for toilet seats are not true...:-d

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
The "MilSub" of that period was actually the Rolex 5517 with the circle T dial and Omega SM300 style sword hands. Those were issued to British Special Operators into the mid 80's.
The Milsub was issued to RN divers and existed as both a 5513 and 5517, with sword hands and merc hands.

It's interesting that the price of a Sub back in the 70s is about the same price (in absolute terms) as a SAR in the GSA catalog today. I believe not all Subs worn by US military personnel were private purchase. Someone more familiar with Rolex history should speak up. In the mean time, I will do some research.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Very interesting thread. I'd like to hear more about the US military issued Rolex watches. I have a bunch of history on it in hard copy but I can't remember where it is at the moment. I do know that many different watches are currently issued and, since 9/11, many different brands and models are authorized for unit purchase. Just the GSA vendors and Prime Vendors offer many options for units to make official purchases for official issue without the hassel of something having a NSN. I've been issued several different watches in my military career with the last few being a Suunto Advisor, Nike Mil Spec, Casio Pathfinder, Suunto M-9, and a G-shock. Those were all from SOF organizations.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
There was a Bn from the 82nd that was issued a number of SARs. I recall seeing a photo of a BG wearing one - maybe the ADC? He was wearing DCUs and the pic was taken downrange, so I want to say it was sometime between '01 and '05.

I pulled out "Zero Hour" today to look this up, got interrupted and never got back to it :roll:

Not a dive watch, but I have a cal. 321 Speedy that was delivered to the USN 6th Fleet according to the Omega extract of records.

·
4,076 Posts
Speaker City is an Electronics store with a wide selection of stereo and video equipment, including high-end surround sound speakers, amplifiers, and television sets. Mr. Bernard "Beanie" Campbell is the CEO of the company.
RT - do you have any extra tickets to Mitch-A-Palooza? I'll take a couple if you do.

C'mon, everybody! We're going STREAKING!!!!!

I agree with the poster that pointed out it said it was made to Navy SEAL *specifications*, it makes no mention of being utitlized by any military organization.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Very interesting thread. I'd like to hear more about the US military issued Rolex watches...
Thorough Military Rolex history is hard to find on the 'net, but you might try the guys in the Rolex Forum here at Watchuseek. MWR may also be a good place for discussion of Milsubs and the like.

--RTFM

·
Registered
740 Posts
Speaker City is an Electronics store with a wide selection of stereo and video equipment, including high-end surround sound speakers, amplifiers, and television sets. Mr. Bernard "Beanie" Campbell is the CEO of the company.
And Vince Vaughn in the movie "Old School" worked there:-d

21 - 33 of 33 Posts