WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or perhaps, how long ago was it this was the case? I notice in many places where watches are discussed, people loudly discuss how much they don't like Rolex, how whatever watch it is they like is better than a Rolex and so on. Even when they purport they don't care about boring Rolexes and how they'd never own one, they still use it as the measurement for how great whatever alternative watch they bought is.

I can't imagine a car enthusiast buying one car and then at every opportunity saying how it's much better than some other brand's cars. You'd just look like a lunatic...why do people spend so much time and effort worrying about things they don't like and not just buying what they do? There are several watch brands I don't like, but I honestly spend no time at all thinking about them. If I see a post about a brand I don't care for, I just keep scrolling. It's disappointing this mindset isn't more prevalent, and I can't imagine how much collective human effort has been wasted hating on Rolex.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
You haven't hung around many car enthusiasts have you?
Haha. I was thinking the same. Pickup guys are opinionated (Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs Toyota). Car tuners groups are really opinionated too (VW, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Honda, etc).

The Rolex haters remind me of a show on Netflix "Fastest Car" which pits muscle car tuners vs rich zero experience supercar owners. It's the whole "Built Not Bought" mentality culture, except on the watch side, the bashers didn't and can't build anything except hatred, while claiming it's not jealousy.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Why do Rolex fans have victim complexes? They will pop into random threads in places like the affordables forum to defend the honor of m'lady if someone even mentions Rolex.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think a lot of resentment towards Rolex stems from the current market and the scarcity of SS sports models. If you could walk into an AD and pay $13k for a Daytona, I think the general sentiment would be different. However when they are selling for $26k on the secondary market, then you end up comparing it with watches at a different level, those considered high horology (AP/VC/PP/ALS etc.). When you do that, the value proposition of the Daytona is quite poor. If you want to buy at retail, you play endless games with ADs.

The other contributing factor is that Rolex is the only higher end brand that non watch enthusiasts know and buy. I have met plenty of Sub owners who didn’t know a thing about watches. I have yet to even see a Blancplain FF in the wild but if I did, 100% the owner is into watches. Therefore, Rolexes are less interesting because “everyone” wants one or has one.

To your point, Rolexes often are the benchmark and I believe there is a reason for that. I personally like Rolexes because in my own experience, they just work. They’re easy to wear, easy to enjoy, super versatile. They’re seemingly indestructible. Also, they hold their value better than any other brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I can't imagine a car enthusiast buying one car and then at every opportunity saying how it's much better than some other brand's cars.
NASCAR fans would beg to differ haha.

But I get what you’re saying. I think a lot of it is down to the “antics” of the brand itself (supply/demand and artificial restrictions), and by extension the actions of the ADs (infinite waitlists, purchase history, “pay-to-play,” condescension/snobbery in communicating with prospective purchasers) and the resulting knock-on that has re: the grey market (ridiculous prices, flippers, etc.). Those sorts of factors can definitely sour someone to a brand, even if that person has no first hand experience with the brand or its watches. And then again there’s the hipster angle where hating on a brand is the “in” thing to do, or at least that’s the impression I get. Just my .02.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Haha. I was thinking the same. Pickup guys are opinionated (Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs Toyota). Car tuners groups are really opinionated too (VW, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Honda, etc).

The Rolex haters remind me of a show on Netflix "Fastest Car" which pits muscle car tuners vs rich zero experience supercar owners. It's the whole "Built Not Bought" mentality culture, except on the watch side, the bashers didn't and can't build anything except hatred, while claiming it's not jealousy.
True to some extent however some of us can rebuild watches and have built customs so we do have some insight as to why certain watches are just not that great compared to similar.

·
Registered
381 Posts
To directly answer your question: yes. I think for sure prior to the quartz crisis and probably into the 90s?

With the explosion of watch-related content on the internet there‘s so much more easily available content on other quality watches that compete with or exceed Rolex in many respects (other than value retention, generally) that it’s a snap to find a huge range of high quality mechanical watches other than Rolex.

Rolex is the 800 pound gorilla of the watch world and plenty of people like to tear down the top dog (to mangle my metaphors). Some people might have wanted to get a Rolex, but couldn’t or didn’t want to pay grey and so are trying to justify to other people their non-Rolex purchase. Others might feel it’s the poster child brand for rich posers who know nothing about watches and are just buying a brand name. I’ve heard some Rolex owners think their watch is broken when they don’t wear it for a while and it stops. That’s a pretty easy mock. Yet others, like me, appreciate Rolex as a quality timepiece, but are perfectly happy with other brands, especially more under-the-radar quality brands.

Rolex remains a gold standard and so it’s pretty normal, I think, to make comparisons to a known top standard.

I think the “my product is better than your product” extends to just about every major product purchase, actually. Cars, skis, mobile phones, paragliding gear, etc. Take whatever your major non-watch hobbies are and contemplate the tempest in a teapot controversies in that world. There must be forums for fancy handbags and I can only imagine the brand catfights that happen there.

·
Premium Member
13,214 Posts

You forgot Saab and Volvo; think the controversy started around the year 800 with the Vikings ;)

·
Registered
Seikosha
1,006 Posts
The recent enthusiasts' resentment toward rolex can be traced back to... 2017-2018ish. Before that the only new stainless hard to get was the stainless daytona. The major gripe before then was the value factor, not access. "Hey why is this Rolex selling for $6k compared to this other brand that is selling it for less?"

What is to blame? It's the free market. Just blame free market economics. I don't blame ADs or grey dealers. If I owned an AD and my focus was maximizing profits, why wouldn't I sell the most in demand pieces to my best customers?

I do think that due to so many recent changes to policy, the brand experience is different at every retailer. That needs to be changed. Even as a preferred customer I hate waiting not knowing how long I have to wait.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
To directly answer your question: yes. I think for sure prior to the quartz crisis and probably into the 90s?
I certainly don't remember it if it was, but that was before the internet and most of the opinions you heard about watches was an occasional magazine article on the subject.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

With the explosion of watch-related content on the internet there‘s so much more easily available content on other quality watches that compete with or exceed Rolex in many respects (other than value retention, generally) that it’s a snap to find a huge range of high quality mechanical watches other than Rolex.

Rolex is the 800 pound gorilla of the watch world and plenty of people like to tear down the top dog (to mangle my metaphors). Some people might have wanted to get a Rolex, but couldn’t or didn’t want to pay grey and so are trying to justify to other people their non-Rolex purchase. Others might feel it’s the poster child brand for rich posers who know nothing about watches and are just buying a brand name. I’ve heard some Rolex owners think their watch is broken when they don’t wear it for a while and it stops. That’s a pretty easy mock. Yet others, like me, appreciate Rolex as a quality timepiece, but are perfectly happy with other brands, especially more under-the-radar quality brands.

Rolex remains a gold standard and so it’s pretty normal, I think, to make comparisons to a known top standard.

I think the “my product is better than your product” extends to just about every major product purchase, actually. Cars, skis, mobile phones, paragliding gear, etc. Take whatever your major non-watch hobbies are and contemplate the tempest in a teapot controversies in that world. There must be forums for fancy handbags and I can only imagine the brand catfights that happen there.
This pretty much echoes my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Its always easier to hate than love, so people find ways to fill the gap they have internally, whatever it is; I see this with almost everything, watches, cars, sports, computers, phones.

I always say, life is more fun when you spend your time enjoying what you like, instead of focusing on what you dont.

Rolex is Rolex for a reason, you dont like it, then look else where, there are hundreds of brands to match with what you like.

Reactions: chinguelmike

·
Registered
367 Posts
Indeed regular non WIS people resent the brand as well because it's worn by a lot of a-holes. We all know how one person can ruin it for others.
Enthusiasts can sometimes resent the brand as they can't get hold of the models they want.
Some hold on to that dream that they can enjoy their toys and jewellery with the idea that they may be able to sell it one day without loosing too much money.

As written above. It's best to focus on you. Not other people!

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
People are obviously different and they start conversations regarding things that they find important, interesting or infuriating.
This will vary from person to person and we are free to either join in that conversation, or pass it by.
I see many threads that have ZERO interest to me, so I don't take part. ;)

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I don't put them down although I'd never give the current prices for any of them. Back in the 1980's when a new date just or sub were under 2 K they were not such a lightening rod. Now pushing toward ten for a sub I think they are over priced and please don't give me the 1980 money vs. 2020 value speech. I deal with arithmetic when I consider costs. 1,800 is a lot different than 9,000 regardless of what year you are in.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I think with Rolex it is because they are the #1 recognised watch brand, which attracts lovers and haters in equal proportions.
It is a shame that so many seem to jump on any post that mentions Rolex to either attack or defend the brand, depending on where they sit on the debate.

·
Registered
31,524 Posts
I personally love Rolex watches, and have owned several over the years, so I would never put down the watches.

However, the current AD network fiascos, and the, some would say, false supply issues, I find ridiculous, and it definetly has put me off buying another Rolex watch.

The once great dealer experience is long gone, and we are left with sales people who treat long time Rolex customers like dirt. Sad.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts