WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what people's opinions are when determining watch accuracy. Do you base it purely on it's +/- while on wrist, or also when it is off wrist? If a watch is -2 when worn during the day, but +2 when not worn at night, would you consider that a very accurate watch? Or is a positive watch when worn considered more optimal?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I sleep wearing a watch so, when I look at accuracy, I look at worn accuracy. I also don't generally go "whelp, that's an accurate watch", I say "accurate to about + or - x seconds a day/week/whatever".

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I also sleep with the watch and it's on my wrist all the time while I"m wearing it. The accuracy is based on wrist time only for me.

The night trick with a watch works and can make your watch appear more accurate. In reality, you are just fighting inaccuracy with another form of inaccuracy. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but that's what it is in the end. Yes, it'll make your watch more accurate in the long time. I'd rather spend time on taking notes on the daily average error in your life and try to regulate it as close to 0 as possible than take off the watch at night and put it down a certain way to erase the errors accumulating throughout the day.

·
Premium Member
22,558 Posts
Well, ideally, a watch should be accurate irrespective of your wearing patterns. But, that means that it has to have good isochronism (rate is independent of the power reserve), which can be achieved either by minimizing the nonlinear response of the hairspring, or by supplying a constant force irrespective of the power reserve (by using a constant force escapement or a chain and fusee), and it should also have low positional variance. In practice, isochronism and low positional variance is difficult to achieve unless the watch is very carefully adjusted (which is a highly skilled and time consuming process).

Reactions: Kluber

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Just set your watch to one source...Wear as your normal habit, after 5-10 days check time, divide gain or loss by the # days worn,
you got the +/-...;-)

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Yeah, I don't wear my watch when I sleep and if it's not worn during the day it usually goes on a winder. I haven't regulated any of mine, but so far my most accurate piece runs -2s/day. Others are a bit more, maybe -8s/day or so. Only my lower end seiko needs constant adjustment (40s/day).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts