WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to take my two newest arrivals Omega & Sinn on vacation in the coming days and it requires a plane ride. I read somewhere back that you should wear the watch through the xray machine because taking it off and putting it in the bins it could be stolen and has happened to others. Now, in the past I have used the bins with no problems but after reading about thefts that had supposedly occurred I have gotten concerned. I would think setting off the alarm wearing the watch through the Xray machine would be a bigger problem today though. Any frequent travelers have any thoughts? Pic of both.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I personally put my watch into my carry on right before I go through security. i think it's safer to do so then placing it into the trays and having it being 'one' of the items your keeping a eye on. The less things to keep track of the better. Plus, when no one sees the watch to begin with, the less likely someone will even be tempted to take it.

I've also placed the watch into a zippered coat/jacket pocket as well.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
It all depends on the scanner.

I travel quite a bit and some airports have the scanner turned up extra sensitive so it will pick up your watch, belt etc etc when you wear it and some wont. If it does set off the alarm they will usually just run the hand scanner over it and be done with it.

I had to take mine off and put it in the tray for the first time the other day. I did not take my eyes off it from the minute I took it off until the minute it came out of the scanner.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Leave it on......

pull up your sleeve where they can see it. No way I would put a nice
wristwatch in the tray. I've been in many airports and some will
have the equipment turned up so so high you can't get a pin through.
Some didn't go off with a zippo lighter in my pocket that I forgot.
Just depends. I leave the cash in my pocket and put the money clip
in the tray, everything goes in but the watch and cash. I went through
Tampa Florida a few months ago, I have a knee replacement thats
steel and they made me go to the check table and the officer must have
scanned it 10 times. He wanted an explaination. Same thing with the rods in my neck. It took 15 minutes. Coming back through 2 days later,
nothing went off at all. Makes you feel secure huh?
Wear the watch and show it to them. Too risky to let it out of your sight.
Thats what I do.
jim

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Wear them both, one on each wrist. Set one of them to another time zone.Show the watches to the guys at the scanners. If they ask, explain that you need to know the time in the UK (for example) while you're on holiday for work purposes.
If that doesn't work, tell 'em that General H. Norman Schwarzkopf wore two watches during Desert Storm and look how that turned out. Kuwait was liberated!
If they persist in asking questions, accuse them of being unpatriotic.;-)
It might work:think:.

teeritz

P.S.- Love the Sinn 103 StSa, btw. That's my next watch.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Just wore my honking 45.5 PO from LAX to Tokyo and back. Never asked to remove it at either airport, and it didn't trigger any sensors.

Narita airport was cool, because ironically, in a country where you take off your shoes to enter a house, you don't have to remove them going through detectors for travel back to U.S.
Equipment much more high-tech, too.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Re: Leave it on......

I went through
Tampa Florida a few months ago, I have a knee replacement thats
steel and they made me go to the check table and the officer must have
scanned it 10 times. He wanted an explaination. Same thing with the rods in my neck. It took 15 minutes. Coming back through 2 days later,
nothing went off at all. Makes you feel secure huh?
Wear the watch and show it to them. Too risky to let it out of your sight.
Thats what I do.
jim
I went through the LAX security just fine last week after forgetting to remove the pocket knife from my keychain in my carry-on bag.
Only realized it when I got on the plane!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Re: Leave it on......

Earlier this year, my friends and I flew from Leeds Bradford Airport to George Best Airport in Belfast. I wore my SMP Bond and my friend wore his Panerai Luminor Marinaon a leather strap. At both airports, my watch never set off the beeper yet Richard's Panerai did.

Just be vigilant though should you have to take yours off. And have a safe jpourney.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I keep my extra watches in my carry on and have never had a problem putting the watch I am wearing in the "bin". How can anyone steal it? It goes through an x-ray machine with about 10 cops in a 20 foot circle to come out the other side where I am waiting to get it. Never have thought twice about it. Wouldn't worry about it.

David

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I used to slide them down to the toe area of my shoe- not for theft reasons as I feel the same as previous post- but so it wouldn't get banged up in the bin. Then I dropped one on the cold, unforgiving floor. Since then they stay on and I haven't had a problem.
I doubt that security will give you a hard time..... unless you are wearing one of these....

Don

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am the financial controller (or as some would say mismanager) for an airline at one of their Hub's. My office is on the security side and I end up going through screening every day and sometimes multiple times ......

Put your watch in your jacket pocket and put the jacket in the tub. If it is a suit jacket the breast pocket works quite well .... if a windbreaker etc .... the zip pocket.

I slip mine in the jacket before I hit the line, non the wiser ........ pop it goes back on as soon as I clear and collect the jacket.

H

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I never take my "nice" watches on vacation. Here's why, this happened to my sister in law:
Last year the security agents "lost" my sister in law's Cartier gold watch in the X-ray machine. When she inferred an agent had "lost" it on purpose, they tried to verbally intimidate her.

Boy, they did not know her! She started making a commotion, loudly complaining about theft and abuse of power, and she started asking for the nearby mounties to come see what is the matter. Keep in mind, here in Canada, security companies handle "regular" security (sub-contractors to our own version of the Homeland Security dept.) while the mounties - the federal police; the ones with the horses and red tunics - are around in case "heavy stuff" happens (drugs, arms, stuff like that).

Suddenly, lo and behold, as soon as they saw mounties approaching from afar, one security agent "found the watch" right "on the floor" and they quickly tried to dismiss everything as a misunderstanding.

My sister in law was in a hurry and could not complain officially, but she let everyone know (including the mounties) what she was thinking of the whole affair.
But keep in mind, these security companies can have the big end of the stick should they wish to.

So I just bring my Mido on vacation.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I usually take three to four watches with me each time I travel. I carry them in a watch roll in my carry-on (back-pack) and insert the one I'm wearing into the roll while I'm waiting in the security line.

Never had a problem as I am always aware of my carry on.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone. I don't have any carry on luggage just not that type of person but I will take the advice of many here and wear it through. My fear of theft or even dropping it would ruin my entire vacation and they don't come often for me.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Here's a story from a year or two ago:

$52,000 bracelet stolen at airport
Paula Fox, wife of millionaire businessman and trucking magnate Lindsay Fox, told the court she had been checking in for a first-class flight to Sydney and Honolulu. At the screening point she placed a handbag, a carry-on bag and a set of wheels on the conveyor belt and took off her Cartier bracelet and placed it in a plastic tray. Because the bracelet had set off metal detectors before, she always took it off, she said.

Mrs Fox told defence lawyer Rob Stary that she did not see the bracelet come through the X-ray machine. She said it was a gift from her husband 10 years ago and was "very sentimental".

A former security guard at the airport, David Raymond Hardy, 56, of Reservoir, pleaded not guilty to theft of the bracelet. Prosecutor Alex Albert told the Melbourne Magistrates Court that digital images shown to the court showed Hardy had not followed procedure and had taken a plastic tray to the wrong end of the screening machine. Sharma Saunders, a manager for security firm Group 4 Securitas, said footage showed that David Hardy did "contradict procedure 100 per cent" in taking a tray to the wrong end of the screening machine.

Detective Senior Constable Stuart Latimer said the bracelet had not been found.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I traveled to Ireland over Thanksgiving, and had to figure out what to do with my PO; so, here is what I did. I removed my PO, and put it inside my outer coat pocket (they require you to remove it when walking through metal detector), and placed it on the conveyor belt. Jacket was easier to keep an eye on than placing in the bins. No problems.

mike.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I removed my PO, and put it inside my outer coat pocket (they require you to remove it when walking through metal detector), and placed it on the conveyor belt. mike.
Here, they insist we put small items in the plastic trays. If they see you put a watch in a bag or coat, they will try and stop you and make you put them where they say.

I hate when people abuse their position of trust and authority, RE: the Cartier bracelet affair, above. I mean they STOLE the bracelet, it's even on camera. BUT we, as everyday people, are still at their mercy because procedures and regulations are made for them, and not for protecting the public.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Here, they insist we put small items in the plastic trays. If they see you put a watch in a bag or coat, they will try and stop you and make you put them where they say.
I understand the concern: that is something I would not feel comfortable with. Not at all.

mike.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Generally speaking Airport detectors work in two different ways. The older detectors have a single coil that generates a magnetic field, the newer ones can have multiple "zones", or multiple coils, each generating a magnetic field.

Essentially what that means is that the machine is set to react to the total mass of metal on your body. This is why sometimes machines will react and sometimes they won't. It all depends on the threshold they set on the system. With some systems, you could breeze through wearing your belt and watch while, on the machine next to it, you may "ding".

When I travel with my watch, I will often pack the watch in my carry-on when I get to the airport or will put it in something else at the checkpoint to make it a little harder for a neer-do-well to get to. Often the risk of having to overtly take a couple extra seconds to get to the object is enough of a deterrent.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts