WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I wondering what the etiquette, if any, is there when one buys a second hand higher-end watch without box and papers in relationship to purchasing those from the manufacturer. More specifically, if I buy a brand watch that comes without either item, could I send the watch to the manufacturer for service with the added request that they issue documents reporting its authenticity (obviously if it meets their criteria)?

I'm curious to hear experiences.

For the most part I'm content with the watches I purchase without box and papers, but I'm eyeing one that I would consider a keeper for the long haul, and I would consider investing into the certification and such.

Thank you for reading!

JG

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I don't usually buy used without papers but the one time I did that piece was servcied from that manufacturer's authorized service center and thus the included paperwork from said service was enough to reassure me. Point is, I don't think you need anything above and beyond the service paperwork, SC's will not work on fakes and most times franken models. I would however be less inclined to find worth in service paperwork from a "mom and pop" watch shop.

Some manufacturers will re-issue matching "papers" but it's just not worth the cost in both time and expense IMO.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
The mere fact that a watch has been serviced by the manufacturer is evidence of its authenticity -- they don't service fakes. The service paperwork is all you need. Many manufacturers will authenticate a watch without servicing it, but you'll still need to send in the watch and it won't be free.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I Would never buy a watch without boxes and papers, but thats me. It doesn't mean you shouldn't if your comfortable with the watch and it's authenticity and don't care to have the paperwork then go for it.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
For me boxes are just a pain. I have a whole section of a closet full of useless boxes, the only reason to keep them is for the value at resell. The watches I have bought without boxes and papers I have never bothered to spend the money to replace them, I find it a total waste of money. If I sell a watch with no box I just give the buyer the same discount I received due to no boxes, authenticity can be verified in other cheaper ways if need be.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you are talking about manufacturer periodic servicing then just send it in and for the most part, they will check authenticity and then give you a quote for the work. As someone already mentioned, if they accept it, you know it is authentic. If you are talking about warranty, you need the warranty card and without that, you have no chance of getting it serviced as part of the warranty.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear you and completely understand. But as I've gotten immersed into the watch world I'm comfortable opening the cases, assessing the movements, cleaning up, etc. No major surgery, but certainly enough assessment that I satisfy myself of the authenticity. Even in high quality replicas, the movements are not yet there where they could fool the eye. The best I've encountered is a Miyota movement instead of an ETA, etc.

Slowly I feel that the discounts you can get for not having the box&papers makes it worth the calculated risk... and also slowly I'm transitioning into buying more expensive watches which I plan to flip after I get my fix of them rather than what I usually do, which is research the heck out of the prospects and then jump at them them at the first opportunity, but always intending to keep them for the long run...

It's fascinating, the world of watches, and I really appreciate everyone's input! Thank you.

I Would never buy a watch without boxes and papers, but thats me. It doesn't mean you shouldn't if your comfortable with the watch and it's authenticity and don't care to have the paperwork then go for it.

·
Premium Member
64,914 Posts
The mere fact that a watch has been serviced by the manufacturer is evidence of its authenticity -- they don't service fakes. The service paperwork is all you need. Many manufacturers will authenticate a watch without servicing it, but you'll still need to send in the watch and it won't be free.
^this.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Interesting comments all.

Anyone care to estimate a discount for no box an papers e.g. 10%?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts